OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:27:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veneration of Pope St. Leo III in the Orthodox Church  (Read 1811 times) Average Rating: 0
ebpusey

Faith: Anglican Catholic

« on: February 12, 2008, 11:33:56 PM »

Hi all,

I see questions here regarding veneration of Saints such as St. Seraphim in the Catholic Church and have a similar question for the Orthodox here.  Pope St. Leo III, who was a staunch defender of the traditional Creed against the Carolingans, is venerated as a Saint in the Roman Catholic Church, though I have never seen him included on the Calender of the Orthodox Church. I, personally, have a great deal of admiration for him and for what he did for the Orthodox Faith, even in the face of Charlemagne (the two large shields erected in St. Peter's in Latin and Greek of the Creed sans filioque being a prime example). Does anyone know if he is included on any Liturgical Calendar in the Orthodox Church? I suspect he might be in the Western Rite.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:50:34 PM »

The Roman Catholic and many Anglican churches mark November 10 as the feast day of Saint Leo (formerly April 11), while the Eastern Orthodox churches mark February 18 as his feast day.

http://www.tutorgig.com/ed/Pope_Leo_I

Edited: Oh, perhaps I have the wrong Leo??

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:51:49 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ebpusey

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »

I'm afraid so...no worries, mate!

Pope Leo III lived a couple of centuries later.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:45:26 PM »

Edited: Oh, perhaps I have the wrong Leo??

Uh-huh.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:10:59 PM »

Pope Leo III was canonized by the Catholic Church in 1673, his feast day being June 12.  He is not listed on June 12 on the Western Orthodox calendar that I have.  Perhaps this is because he was canonized after the schism, even though he lived before the schism.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:13:32 PM »

I'm afraid so...no worries, mate!

Pope Leo III lived a couple of centuries later.

Embarrassed

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ebpusey

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »

"Pope Leo III was canonized by the Catholic Church in 1673, his feast day being June 12.  He is not listed on June 12 on the Western Orthodox calendar that I have.  Perhaps this is because he was canonized after the schism, even though he lived before the schism."

He seems like he should be sort of a bugaboo for the West, considering his fiercely strong stance towards protecting the Symbol of the Faith. For a good study of his role in the Carolingan controversy, read "Franks, Romans, Feudalism, and Doctrine" by Romanides or "God, History, and Dialectic" by Farrell. I believe that most Easterns would find him a champion for the Orthodox Faith.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:12:02 PM by ebpusey » Logged
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »

He seems like he should be sort of a bugaboo for the West, considering his fiercely strong stance towards protecting the Symbol of the Faith. For a good study of his role in the Carolingan controversy, read "Franks, Romans, Feudalism, and Doctrine" by Romanides or "God, History, and Dialectic" by Farrell. I believe that most Easterns would find him a champion for the Orthodox Faith.

He's probably not a "bugaboo for the West" because even though he opposed putting the filioque in the Creed, he believed that it was a true doctrine.
ebpusey

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »

He's probably not a "bugaboo for the West" because even though he opposed putting the filioque in the Creed, he believed that it was a true doctrine.

But, one must imagine how he might have been remembered when those silver shields were taken down in St. Peter's, no?  Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: