OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:15:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Orthodox Christianity information booth for school  (Read 1403 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: February 11, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »

Hey y'all,

I'm in the planning stages of doing some outreach at my local community college and I need some suggestions.  What booklets/pamphlets (or other items) would you suggest for an 'Orthodox Christianity information' booth? Bear in mind that most of these kids will be of the Baptist/ Pentecostal background...Thanks in advance-

In Christ,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »

^ I like the little informational pamphlets that we have at our parish in the main hall. I think they are done by the Antiochians from what I gather. They are great because they are a quick read and get to the point. They also cover various popular topics that would peak someones interest. I would order a ton of those and go from there. If someone is really interested, I would also have some information about our parish and have printed directions to hand out. Maybe have another resource for popular Orthodox websites such as this for further exploration and maybe the titles of a few entry - level books on Orthodoxy. I would also bring a few pictures of what a typical Orthodox church looks like and an icon or two so that it will draw the interest of more people. Some lollipops wouldn't be bad either... Grin

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:54:07 PM »

Hey y'all,

I'm in the planning stages of doing some outreach at my local community college and I need some suggestions.  What booklets/pamphlets (or other items) would you suggest for an 'Orthodox Christianity information' booth? Bear in mind that most of these kids will be of the Baptist/ Pentecostal background...Thanks in advance-

In Christ,
Gabriel

OCF (orthodox christian fellowship), an orthodox campus-based ministry has tons of good materials for things like this.  In fact on their website they have a picture of some orthodox students doing a booth at another school. 

If you need more personalized information you can PM me, as I work for OCF. 

Otherwise just go the their website = www.ocf.net  which is very helpful.  You can get any materials you need for free. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:20:19 PM »

Concilliar Press prints a lot of the pamphlets and small booklets found in many Orthodox churches
http://www.conciliarpress.com/

Proverbs 22:7
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »

Concilliar Press prints a lot of the pamphlets and small booklets found in many Orthodox churches

I agree they do have some pretty handy stuff...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:40:30 AM »

Some lollipops wouldn't be bad either... Grin
...with little fortune cookie slips of paper that say "Don't be a 'sucker', be Orthodox!'?  Cheesy  Or how about little toy tops that say "Spin from Sin!" 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:14 AM »

Um, how about not Gabriel the Celt!

Good luck with your booth.  I would check with the Serb and see what his offerings are since he's the OCF connection.  OCF is awesome, especially since OCF's focus is on college age people......  I highly recommend what materials they have available for your booth.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:50:56 AM »

...with little fortune cookie slips of paper that say "Don't be a 'sucker', be Orthodox!'?  Cheesy  Or how about little toy tops that say "Spin from Sin!" 
LOL!  No. Grin
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 06:10:10 AM »

Yes, I would agree.  In addition, a lot of their pamphlets are put out by those associated with the former Evangelical Orthodox, so they know the talk of your target audience from the inside.

I remember a criticism of the Orthodox Study Bible, that it was too "Protestant," talking about topics that the Orthodox don't dwell on, like justification.  This criticism 1) presumes that the Orthodox in America know Orthodoxy (a big presumption) 2) ignores that we live among, and are influenced by (read: converted children) a Protestant majority 3) has no vision of outreach (read: evangelization) to that Protestant majority.

God bless your endervors with much fruit!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:24:33 AM »

Check out and modify the tracts available at orthotracts.org

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »

^ Some lollipops wouldn't be bad either... Grin

Nacho, Nacho, lollipops are not where it's at.  Chocolate - definitely chocolate.  You get lollipops at the pediatrician and the kids haircut place.  Grownups want chocolate - at least the female ones.  Individual bags of M & M's

Can I also suggest getting a stack of advertising cards from Ancient Faith Radio.  Email them and ask for a rush delivery of 100 or 200 cards to hand out.  I would also suggest having a cd player with some nice Orthodox music playing or use a laptop if you're in a WiFi area and stream Ancient Faith Radio in the booth.  I'd also run a slideshow on the laptop of church photos, icons and Orthodox monasteries, etc...  Nothing is more immediate than multimedia presentations.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »

Nacho, Nacho, lollipops are not where it's at.  Chocolate - definitely chocolate.  You get lollipops at the pediatrician and the kids haircut place.  Grownups want chocolate - at least the female ones.  Individual bags of M & M's

I remember during our club week at school, the Zionist club tried to woo people to join with light blue coloured coton candy.   Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 07:18:10 PM »

Be sure to wear white button up shirts with black ties while at the booth. A name tag pinned on your pocket might be helpful as well. Also, try and carry all of the tracks in some kind of a brief case.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »

Be sure to wear white button up shirts with black ties while at the booth. A name tag pinned on your pocket might be helpful as well. Also, try and carry all of the tracks in some kind of a brief case.

HAHAHAHA it won't scare anyone away!!

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:18:32 PM »

HAHAHAHA it won't scare anyone away!!

We will give the LDS a run for their money!  angel

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: