OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 10:24:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on the Jesus Prayer which book is the most comprehsive book  (Read 4349 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: February 11, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »

Well I bought three books, and they seem to be related to the Jesus Prayer,

On the Jesus Prayer by Ignatius Brianchaninov

The Way of the Pilgrim

The Art of Prayer complied by Igumen Chariton of Valamo

which of these book are the most comprehensive?  Or does one need to read them all.  Or perhaps there is another book that is more comprehensive then one of these?  I just don't have the time to read all of them that all.

Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:45:58 PM »

From Bishop Kallistos Ware's Inner Kingdom pg 75

Praying without Ceasing:

The Literal Interpretation

"Pray without ceasing" (I Thess 5:17): the short but emphatic command of St Paul to the Thessalonians has exercised a decisive inflence upon the spirit of Eastern Orthodox monasticism. (1)

1) The Best discussion of the subject, to which I am much indebted, is still Irenee Hausherr, Noms du Christ et voies, Orientalia Christiana Analecta 157 (Rome: Pont. Institutum Orientalium Studiorum, 1960), especially 123-157; English Translation, The Name of Jesus, Cistercian Studies Series 44 (Kalamazoo, MIL Cistercian Publications, 1978), especially 119-89.  For a briefer treatment, see Igumen Chariton, The Art of Prayer, especially 80-88.

My Thoughts:

The Name of Jesus by Irenee Hausherr

The Art of Prayer by Igumen Chariton

Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »

Is this available in Australia?

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »

Is this available in Australia?

It's published by Faber & Faber, so I would guess so. Definitely the best there is.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:51:13 PM »

Thank you,

I will look into it.

God Bless

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »

Alas, I have yet to read "The Way of the Pilgrim." A Catholic friend gave me a copy a few years ago, but being Protestant at the time I didn't have much interest in it (a sad commentary on my spiritual condition at that time). Now I really want to read it. Perhaps I am putting it off because I am afraid of the conviction it might bring to my conscience? But this is indeed why I need to read it!!!

I'm interested in how this book has influenced those of you who have read it. What say ye?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »

Alas, I have yet to read "The Way of the Pilgrim." A Catholic friend gave me a copy a few years ago, but being Protestant at the time I didn't have much interest in it (a sad commentary on my spiritual condition at that time). Now I really want to read it. Perhaps I am putting it off because I am afraid of the conviction it might bring to my conscience? But this is indeed why I need to read it!!!

I'm interested in how this book has influenced those of you who have read it. What say ye?

Selam

The book is priceless.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »

Be careful of the version of Ignatius Brianchaninov' book On the Jesus Prayer.  I thought I'd made a great find at a used bookstore when I found this book recently.  I should know better but I didn't look through it carefully or take note of the publishing company until I got home.  Turns out it was published by some whacko new age group (you know the kind - they love the mysticism of the Orthodox Church, just not the doctrine).

It's a good practice to check out so-called Orthodox books carefully.  Stick with known or reputable publishers and if you don't know the author or translator, don't buy it till you have had a chance to do some research.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »

Be careful of the version of Ignatius Brianchaninov' book On the Jesus Prayer.  I thought I'd made a great find at a used bookstore when I found this book recently.  I should know better but I didn't look through it carefully or take note of the publishing company until I got home.  Turns out it was published by some whacko new age group (you know the kind - they love the mysticism of the Orthodox Church, just not the doctrine).

It's a good practice to check out so-called Orthodox books carefully.  Stick with known or reputable publishers and if you don't know the author or translator, don't buy it till you have had a chance to do some research.

Thanks for the heads up! Can anyone recommend a trustworthy and reputable Orthodox translation?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hermogenes
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:53:39 AM »

The Way of the Pilgrim also refers to some very useful passages in the Philokalia dealing with the Jesus Prayer. Elder Joseph the Hesychast has some useful comments in his book of letters ("Monastic Wisdom  The Letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast"), mostly technical stuff about speed and focus. Otherwise, I'm firmly on the Brianchaninov/Chariton bandwagon. There's no substitute for actually praying the prayer, though, assuming you have a qualified spiritual guide.
Tags: Jesus Prayer prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: