OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:59:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh oh, another fasting question...  (Read 1477 times) Average Rating: 0
Cassiel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 08, 2008, 02:13:42 AM »

...sorry.  Smiley  My spiritual father is out of town for a week and I want to know.  I'm a catechumen, and he and I were discussing fasting last week.  He gave me the Lenten Triodion with the article on fasting by Bp. Kallistos +, which was fabulous and enlightening.  So, Wednesday and Friday with two small vegan meals - this I can handle.  But one question: I know that in some religious traditions fasting also restricts drinking.  I drink a little tea, usually, sometimes soda.  On fast days I get cold easily so tea looks much more appealing but it would make sense to me that I should possibly give it up on those days (it would not be difficult).  The serious question, though, is whether water is restricted?  I can see where it might be, considering that it alleviates hunger especially in large quantities.  As I mentioned in another post (yeah, which also was all about fasting), however, I'm a distance runner.  I can just not run on fast days, but if I were to drink less on those days, it would hit me on non-fast days as well.  I didn't drink as much as usual yesterday (not a serious cutback - believe me, I know the dangers of dehydration - but somewhat), and today when I was running I definitely felt it.  Hmm...which evokes another question...should I not run on fast days?  I know these are questions for my spiritual father, but for now, what are your thoughts?

More than you should want to know about Cassiel.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »

Water is fine as far as I know.....in terms of liquids.....on fast days any animal products are out, and wine, and hard liquor. As far as I know.....pop and beer are still okay haha. Unless of course your priest gives you a dispensation from fasting.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:20:14 AM by Ukiemeister » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:17:18 AM »

Everybody keeps talking about it, but I have yet to see the rubric which forbids whiskey. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:29:34 AM »

Cassiel,

I have never heard of any restrictions on drinking water and if you are running, you should take what your body needs. But isn't protein also important when exercising?

When I used to fast, I would have whey powder protein drinks so that I could continue to exercise (I'm allergic to soy milk) - and live, basically! Of course, I had talked it over with my priest.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:05:28 AM »

...sorry.  Smiley  My spiritual father is out of town for a week and I want to know.  I'm a catechumen, and he and I were discussing fasting last week.  He gave me the Lenten Triodion with the article on fasting by Bp. Kallistos +, which was fabulous and enlightening.  So, Wednesday and Friday with two small vegan meals - this I can handle.  But one question: I know that in some religious traditions fasting also restricts drinking.  I drink a little tea, usually, sometimes soda.  On fast days I get cold easily so tea looks much more appealing but it would make sense to me that I should possibly give it up on those days (it would not be difficult).  The serious question, though, is whether water is restricted?  I can see where it might be, considering that it alleviates hunger especially in large quantities.  As I mentioned in another post (yeah, which also was all about fasting), however, I'm a distance runner.  I can just not run on fast days, but if I were to drink less on those days, it would hit me on non-fast days as well.  I didn't drink as much as usual yesterday (not a serious cutback - believe me, I know the dangers of dehydration - but somewhat), and today when I was running I definitely felt it.  Hmm...which evokes another question...should I not run on fast days?  I know these are questions for my spiritual father, but for now, what are your thoughts?

I don't think there's a restriction on water; and your running should still be O.K. (it can even be considered a positive thing for fasting - an ascetic exercise!).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »

The only restriction I can possibly think of regarding water would be prior to communion...and if you're a catechumen, that's a moot point for you right now.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Cassiel

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »

Thanks everybody, that's very helpful.  Though I can't imagine drinking any alcohol while fasting - I'm a lightweight even when I'm eating regularly.  With reduced food intake I'd be dancing on the table after one wine cooler.   Cheesy

More than you should want to know about Cassiel.
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: