OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 05:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before full conversion confession  (Read 1620 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: February 07, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »

Hey Guys!

I am well on my way to deciding to convert to OC. However, there aren't any Orthodox Christian churches or groups over here in Carbondale, Illinois. I'm not all that comfortable making a confession in the RC churches here because two of the three RC priests here have told me I don't need to confess every week, and I personally know that I do. Both of these priests have even refused to take my confession because they believe I'm being too serious with my sins. Also, all three priests know I'm wanting to go OC, so it feels like I'm not too welcome...
What I want to know is if we haven't converted yet, can we make a confession in an OC church? I can find one through an Internet map. Thanks!

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:44:06 PM »

Hmm...looks like there is a parish approximately 11 miles away from zip code 62901...

http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

Protection of The Holy Virgin Mary
Orthodox Church in America 112 N. Fairdale Ave
Royalton, IL 62983 11 miles
 618-984-2144
holyprotection@yahoo.com
www.holyprotection.us

Is this near enough to you to visit?

Speaking as a priest, clearly you cannot receive the mystery of Confession until you do, in fact, enter the Church.

However, priests are always available for counseling, and perhaps you should call a priest in the Royalton parish to ask him a question about this.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Cassiel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »

I have this same problem. I'll be baptised at Pascha, but until then, what do I do?  I've been RC all my life, and have had the importance of confession impressed upon me since I was old enough to know about it.  Does Orthodoxy have the same view of unconfessed sins - that they put one's soul in mortal danger?  I can't very well confess it in my old RC parish, but not in my new Orthodox parish either since I'm not a member of the church yet.  It is really tough to be stuck in between!

More than you should want to know about Cassiel.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:16:53 AM »

I have this same problem. I'll be baptised at Pascha, but until then, what do I do?  I've been RC all my life, and have had the importance of confession impressed upon me since I was old enough to know about it.  Does Orthodoxy have the same view of unconfessed sins - that they put one's soul in mortal danger?  I can't very well confess it in my old RC parish, but not in my new Orthodox parish either since I'm not a member of the church yet.  It is really tough to be stuck in between!

It is not the sins per se that put us in danger of hell, but rather the passions that caused them that still live in the soul.  God will judge us comprehensively on the last day and put us where we want to be, based on where our true passion is: Christ or sin. But don't get worked up too much because he loves you and knows you are preparing for baptism (glad you are being baptized btw, my wife and I were too from Catholicism and my wife's face shone, causing the priest that assisted our bishop to remark that it was one of the most memorable baptisms he had ever seen).

My bishop allowed me to confess without giving absolution once before I was baptized for the sake of my soul's peace and you might be able to ask for this. But suffice it to say, just ask God for forgiveness many times a day and he will have mercy on you.  Even if you died before baptism he takes everything in to account, so just keep struggling as best as you can.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:18:02 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: