OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 11:43:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revert  (Read 1301 times) Average Rating: 0
ebpusey

Faith: Anglican Catholic

« on: February 07, 2008, 12:34:18 AM »

Hi,

I've been reading posts on this forum for quite some time and have consistently been impressed with how generous and charitable most all of the discussions are (a rarity on most religious forums and many, sadly, that deal with Orthodoxy.)

I suppose that's why I felt like I should post tonight.  As the subject indicates, I'm a revert from Eastern Orthodoxy.  I started out as an Anglican and through study of the Fathers, particularly from one scholarly man (now an "uncanonical" Bishop and former professor of Patristics at St. Tikhon's), came to embrace Eastern Orthodoxy.  This issues, of course, were largely the big ones: the filioque being the prime example.  After two years in the Church (OCA-Diocese of the South), I began to feel burdened and overcome by the issues of Ecumenism which, much to my surprise, showed up even in my small, conservative parish.  To be blunt, I came to view (and to a large extent, still do) what the World Orthodox Churches sold as a lot of talk, but little substance--sort of like a nice glossy 8x10 lacking a real face behind it.  As a result, I went on a downward spiral, grasping for straws to try to keep myself Orthodox. I came into contact with many good people in the Old Calendar movement under Archbishop Chrysostomos and found them to be kind and helpful but I decided not to pursue that road.  Ultimately, I abandoned the Church altogether.

Now, I have found myself, through the charity of a godly Bishop in the Continuing Anglican Church, back in that Communion.  I don't really have much of a point--I more or less wanted to talk about my walk with Orthodox Christians and searchers and add to the revert voice out there.  I hope I haven't offended anyone--the comments I have made aren't to the detriment of any, just trying to be honest.

You are all extremely lucky to have the participation and voices of so many, whether they be New Calendar, Old Calendar, Coptic, or from different denominations altogether.  God bless all of you here, especially those who are looking into Orthodoxy--may He bless your journey and grant you peace.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:06:56 AM »

I'm glad you feel you've found your home, but I must confess feeling somewhat confused by your post.
Unless I read you incorrectly, you are stating that the Orthodox Church "sold out" to Ecumenism- and that's why you left Orthodoxy to become an Anglican.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:23:32 AM »

I agree. I almost became a Continuing Anglican myself before being confirmed in the Catholic Church. After my confirmation, my Continuing Anglican friend and her priest congratulated me on my "dual citizenship." I think in general they seem to be pretty ecumenical. But their ecclesiology mirrors that.

Perhaps you dislike the tension between the much more closed ecclesiology of Eastern Orthodoxy and the ecumenism in some EO circles that belies that ecclesiology?

God bless.
ebpusey

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »

I don't so much feel as if the Orthodox Church has "sold out"; it is more along the lines of being overtaken which, as we all know, happens in every ecclesial body--there is always a liberal school and the traditional, conservative school.  Many on the outside, however, fail to notice this in the Eastern Church. I once heard the more modernist forces which are at least attempting to (if not already successful in) entering and gaining power within the Church as a kind of "metaphysical AIDS".

I returned to Anglicanism because many of the doctrinal issues in the Orthodox Church which were driving me insane are not doctrinal in the Anglican Church--take the Calendar for example.  That being said, I did believe and do believe that the Old Calendar is more desirable than the New Calendar.

I shall leave it at that, for now. Got to get on the road to Memphis for a friend's birthday!
ebpusey

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »

Perhaps you dislike the tension between the much more closed ecclesiology of Eastern Orthodoxy and the ecumenism in some EO circles that belies that ecclesiology?

Actually, I believe and support the Eastern Orthodox position as it is clear that they have every right to it. When individuals ask me about the Orthodox Church, I am generally given the old line: "But wasn't the Church Roman Catholic before the Schism?" I always answer, "No, the Church was Orthodox." I realize you are Catholic and therefore hold the opposite opinion, but that is my mind, at least. Generally, the Catholics and Orthodox seem to respect each other's claims to being the One Church, though they profoundly disagree. The Protestants were the ones who seemed to flip out when the CDF (I believe) issued their statement repeating this classical RC ecclesiological opinion--the Orthodox did not seem to have so vocal a response.

As such, I do not particularly subscribe to the "Branch Theory." The Church is one. However, it is my opinion that the Anglicans have and can make positive moves towards Orthodoxy. In fact, I believe that knowingly or not, that was what the Reformers in England were doing from the start--if a group tries to remove baggage that's built up after the Great Schism, it will ultimately find itself seeking the Orthodox Church. The Non-jurors certainly seemed to realize this, as did Bishop Grafton in this country in the early part of the 20th century. Ultimately, I believe that the vocation of the Anglican Church lies within Orthodoxy, though I do not see this provided for in the Western Rite (which someone might posit.)
Tags: conversion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: