OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:51:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ash Wednesday and Lent  (Read 2975 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: February 06, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »

I'd like to wish all our Catholic and Protestant friends blessings and spiritual peace as they begin their Lenten journey today. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:35:31 PM »

God bless you for your prayers.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »

I'd like to wish all our Catholic and Protestant friends blessings and spiritual peace as they begin their Lenten journey today. 

I second that.  It was really nice to see some people with ash crosses on the forehead today on campus.   Smiley

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:47:45 PM »

Hey Guys--

When does Lent and Ash Wednesday begin for OCs?

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »

We don't celebrate Ash Wednesday, but Lent for us begins on March 10, forty days before Pascha, which is April 27.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »

we begin Lent with "Clean Monday", 40 days on the calendar is Vespers Friday Evening of Lazarus Saturday (Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday are standalone), we begin Holy week  on Sunday Night, which is Liturgically Monday.

Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday if you understand those two, you would understand Orthodox Lent, and Pascha, they are the Keys to unlocking everything.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 07:07:59 PM »

Hey Guys--

When does Lent and Ash Wednesday begin for OCs?

Myrrh23

We don't celebrate Ash Wednesday, but Lent for us begins on March 10, forty days before Pascha, which is April 27.

In the Orthodox Western Rite, we do observe Ash Wednesday - this year it's March 12.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »

Yes I was about to note that our Antiochian Western rite across town do celebrate Ash Wednesday. My dear friend attends there and at times we run amok on some of the holy days they have that we don't. It's not many I think.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »

we begin Lent with "Clean Monday", 40 days on the calendar is Vespers Friday Evening of Lazarus Saturday (Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday are standalone), we begin Holy week  on Sunday Night, which is Liturgically Monday.

Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday if you understand those two, you would understand Orthodox Lent, and Pascha, they are the Keys to unlocking everything.

IIRC, Western Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and continues all the way through Holy Saturday, with Sundays not counting as days of Lent.  In the Eastern churches, Great Lent begins on Clean Monday and continues through the eve of Lazarus Saturday, the Saturday immediately preceding Palm Sunday and Holy Week--Sundays count as Lenten days for us, but the days of Holy Week do not, since Holy Week is technically a separate fast for the East.  For both East and West, however, 40 days are counted as days of the Great Lenten Fast.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:08:57 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »

In the Orthodox Western Rite, we do observe Ash Wednesday - this year it's March 12.

You can always tell the differences in style between RC priests adminstering ashes - some do the small nickel size smudge; others have an entire cross filling up the forehead - looks like a bullseye.  It's big but there is no mistaking you've been to Ash Wednesday services.  Around South Texas you know it's Western Lent because the Mexican food restaurants start running their usual Friday Lent Specials - Tortitas de camaron con nopalitos (dried shrimp patties with cactus in ranchero sauce) and capirotada (Mexican bread pudding, which I recently learned is actually a Jewish dish that originated with Spanish Jews who secretly maintained their Jewish identity first in Spain and then in Mexico).  The shrimp patties are a little strong (think dried krill you feed to big aquarium fish, reconstituted and fried - an acquired taste.  Now the nopalitos are fabulous - a cross between okra, bell pepper and green beans.  And who doesn't like bread pudding?)

Does anyone else have any RC or Byz Cath food traditions they can share?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 04:58:02 PM »

I do miss my old H Salt Fish Fridays, Tex Mex rules now, with some XX liquid bread...

pax etc etc

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »

Does anyone else have any RC or Byz Cath food traditions they can share?

Hi Tina,

Two traditional Lenten foods that I know of are soft pretzels and meatless soup. The three holes in the prezels represent the Trinity.

The meatless soup is very common. Many parishes have bread and soup nights on Fridays during Lent. I've been on a vocations retreat at a Dominican priory this weekend, and that is what the friars and I ate on Friday (today was turkey---surrexit Christus!).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:06:56 AM by lubeltri » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 12:19:12 AM »

Brovada, Polenta, Jota, Cacciucco, a Friulian fish Goulasch (no paprika, dried chili flakes instead) and a lot of stews/soups with beans, barely and potatoes are a staple in my house during Lent.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 01:32:43 AM »

In the Western Rite we do. Ash Wednesday is March 12th.
Tags: Great Lent Lent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: