OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:11:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox books on the human person  (Read 1122 times) Average Rating: 0
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« on: January 31, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »

I am in need for some suggestions for books for a research paper I am writing for a liberal studies class.  What I am looking for are any books that discuss the Orthodox Christian view of the human person. More specifically, my paper is an examination of the relationship between the mind and the heart in the Orthodox tradition.  The paper also will discuss the mind in light of Sartrian existentialism, and the guiding question for the paper is "If the mind is just a stream of consciousness, then how are we solid?"  In studying Sartre in the class, I noticed that Orthodoxy would agree with Sartre that the human mind and our thoughts are a process, and that to pretend that a self arising from the thoughts is a lie.  Orthodoxy obviously differs though in that it does see the human person as having an essence or a center, which we would call the heart.  The transcendental ego that Sartre writes against seems to be very different than what Orthodoxy teaches about the heart.  So, I need some books!  So far, I have "I love therefore I am" by Archimandrite Sophrony, "Monk of Mount Athos" by St Silouan, "We shall see Him as He is" by Archimandrite Sophrony, and an article by Fr Meletios Webber entitled "The Mind, the Heart, and the Way to Salvation."  If anyone  knows of anything else on these topics, that would be really helpful! Even ascetical texts on dealing with thoughts would be good.

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Sophie

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »

Hi Zebu. You may be interested in the Orthodox Outlet for Dogmatic Enquiries:

http://www.oodegr.com/english/index.htm

You can also investigate writings based on Elder Paisius the New of Mount Athos:

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/elder_paisios_mount_athos.htm#_Toc61750942

He has actually said quite a few things about thoughts.

I hope this is of some help to you.

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »

Liberal Studies? I've never seen anything like it. What exactly do you study in that class?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »

Liberal studies is an interdisciplinary field of the humanities.  In this particular class, we study how personal identity is viewed in different philosophies and religions, and also in light of biology. Basically, we study what the core "self" is, if such a thing exists at all. 

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:26:22 AM »

http://www.pelagia.org/htm/b23.en.the_person_in_the_orthodox_tradition.00.htm

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: