OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:12:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vestment Horror  (Read 12037 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 09:07:18 AM »

What are the highbacks for anyway? How did they develop liturgically?

Most russian churches were frigidly cold and when parishoners would open a door, the cold air would rush in. So to keep the cold air off the back of the priest's neck, the high back was designed to block the rush of air.

-Nick

That is the folk story behind them but the truth is the Highbacks developed in Constantinople in order to keep the long hair of the monastics under the Phelon. Most of the outwards liturgical practices are based on a snapshot of the Constantinople practices that existed when the Nikonian reforms occured. It is interesting that in Greece the highbacks (which are not as high as the Russian style and also lack the stiff backing) are call Athonite.

Joseph
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 12:54:41 PM »

In the Armenian Church the priests wear a very high collar in back, that is attached separately.  I was told it was to protect the priest, since satan always strikes from behind.  Another folk piety, I am sure.   Smiley

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »

The beauty of vestments isn't something you find outside the Orthodox Church.

Shenanigans.

Just because some Roman Catholics and Anglicans have made an art out of hideous vestments doesn't mean others aren't beautifully made liturgical items.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2009, 01:23:36 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgh!

(breath)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....

Okay, Im done. 

Evil, evil vestments.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »

We should go back to the era when major monastic land holdings controlled a large percentage of arable land, and such monasteries owned the serfs that worked the land.  All for the gory of God. 

One doesn't have to become an extremist and go iconoclastic, but a health amount of skepticism about how money is being spent within the church is a good thing - even laying aside the issue of whether that many diamonds, that many gold leafed icons are really necessary, major financial scandals in multiple jurisdictions in the past few years ought to make the laity aware that no hierarch can have a carte blanche with our money. 

Amen!

"Have Aaron your brother brought to you from among the Israelites, along with his sons Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar, so they may serve me as priests. Make sacred garments for your brother Aaron, to give him dignity and honor. Tell all the skilled men to whom I have given wisdom in such matters that they are to make garments for Aaron, for his consecration, so he may serve me as priest.  These are the garments they are to make: a breastpiece, an ephod, a robe, a woven tunic, a turban and a sash. They are to make these sacred garments for your brother Aaron and his sons, so they may serve me as priests.  Have them use gold, and blue, purple and scarlet yarn, and fine linen.” Exodus 28:1-5

The rest of Chapter 28 in the book of Exodus goes on in fine detail how the finest linens and jewels were to be used for the priest’s vestments. This was done at a time when Israel was hardly a “rich” nation, and there were many poor among them.

Yes, we are to give to the poor, and minister to those in need. But at the same time our Temples are to be beautifully decorated, as are our priest’s garments.

I agree that a good argument can be made for beautiful vestments.  But IMHO, such a quote from the old testament in support of this is not a good support for such a practice, or is at the very least confusing or problematic, since the priesthood of our new covenant presbyters has no relation whatsoever to the levitical priesthood. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:59:35 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2009, 04:15:40 AM »

I agree that a good argument can be made for beautiful vestments.  But IMHO, such a quote from the old testament in support of this is not a good support for such a practice, or is at the very least confusing or problematic, since the priesthood of our new covenant presbyters has no relation whatsoever to the levitical priesthood. 

Considering that we use the arguement that the Apostles carried forth Judaic Liturgical Worship into Christian Worship, the Orthodox Church Architecture has similarities to that of the Jewish temple, I think the parallels are quite appropriate. It also builds the arguement that decor has been a fundamental part of worshipping God from the beginning.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2009, 04:19:47 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgh!

(breath)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....

Okay, Im done. 

Evil, evil vestments.

I am unclear as to your exact feelings towards this. Can you please elaborate? Tongue j/k

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2009, 04:26:37 AM »

Considering that we use the arguement that the Apostles carried forth Judaic Liturgical Worship into Christian Worship, the Orthodox Church Architecture has similarities to that of the Jewish temple, I think the parallels are quite appropriate. It also builds the arguement that decor has been a fundamental part of worshipping God from the beginning.

But this "carried over" worship is completely transfigured in its Christian context.  The resurrection of Christ (and his ascension and his giving of the Spirit to the Church)  and its implications turn the meaning of this worship on its head.  And I repeat, the levitical priesthood has nothing to do with the ministry of our Orthodox presbyters.  Your point about decor being a part of worshipping God from the beginning is well taken.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2009, 04:54:24 AM »

Your point about decor being a part of worshipping God from the beginning is well taken.

Thank you.

That is the point, and the only point I was trying to make. Decor has been used from the beginning in both vestments and decor of the building (since you take umbridge to the word "Temple.") We should continue to decorate both our priest's vestments and our buildings in addition to giving to the poor, just as the Jews did in the Old Testament, and the Christians continued under the New Covenant in the New Testament.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »

That is the point, and the only point I was trying to make.

I should probably have acknowledged that more.

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2009, 02:59:34 AM »

The piece of clothing (?) in question looks like a cross between amodern art, a Broadway advertisment for a brand new gay musical, and a kite. 

Wonder if it flies if I can put some sticks on it and some string to test the theory on a windy day.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
shep4569

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »

The piece of clothing (?) in question looks like a cross between amodern art, a Broadway advertisment for a brand new gay musical, and a kite. 

Wonder if it flies if I can put some sticks on it and some string to test the theory on a windy day.

Speaking of that, it reminds me of the RC church where we used to hold services as a mission parish. We rented the Knights of Columbus hall at a RC church, but on major feast days (mainly Pascha) we served Holy Friday-Pascha in their main church, which was huge. The church has a registry of something like 10,000 families. Families, not people. So it's a huge church, with a lot of marble and old oak pillars/ceiling. Actually a very pretty church, not like modern RC churches today. Anyway, since Pascha usually falls after Western Easter, we would come on Holy Friday to see this giant sheet with Christ on it, with multicolored streamers coming out of it, all covering up the giant crucifix w/ corpus over the main altar. Not only was it the whitest Jesus I've ever seen, it was also just a very ugly thing in such a pretty church. The other subdeacons and I came to call it "Parasailing Jesus". haha

In Christ,
Logan

"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." - Job 1:21
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »

The church has a registry of something like 10,000 families. Families, not people.

I would say there are mulitple multiple Canonical Orthodox Christian Jurisdictions in the USA/Canada that don't encompass 10,000 families in themselves. 

shep4569

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »

The church has a registry of something like 10,000 families. Families, not people.

I would say there are mulitple multiple Canonical Orthodox Christian Jurisdictions in the USA/Canada that don't encompass 10,000 families in themselves. 

lol I know. That's why it's funny when I tell people average Orthodox churches don't grow above maybe 200-300 people. I'm pretty sure my parish could fit tenfold inside the RC church where I live.

In Christ,
Logan

"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." - Job 1:21
Tags: clerical dress vestments New Skete My neck is cold! 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: