OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:16:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage vs. ordination in the Eastern Catholic churches  (Read 2124 times) Average Rating: 0
Linnapaw

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: MP

« on: January 27, 2008, 10:57:12 PM »

It is the same mentality that prevents the ordination of married priests in the Eastern Catholic Churches of North America. Goodness, we wouldn't want to offend or confuse those poor Latins with the ancient practice of the Church now would we?

I'm not so sure about this one...  For instance, I know married Ukrainian Catholic priests serving here in the US and in Canada...

-Katja   

Man is free, to be sure, but without the true God he is defenseless against the principle of evil. He is a like rudderless ship, at the mercy of the storm, an infant without his mother, a cloud dissolving into thin air.
-H. Scholl/A. Schmorell
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

Married here, of course before ordination, or from 'the old country'?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Linnapaw

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: MP

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »

I'm not sure where they were married or went to seminary, but those that I know of were born here in America...  Thinking harder now, I do remember at least one married seminarian at Holy Spirit Seminary (UGCC) up in Ottawa when I visited there in April.

-Katja

Man is free, to be sure, but without the true God he is defenseless against the principle of evil. He is a like rudderless ship, at the mercy of the storm, an infant without his mother, a cloud dissolving into thin air.
-H. Scholl/A. Schmorell
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:04:17 AM »

Their bishops get around the restrictions by sending them back to Europe to be ordained, after which they return to the US.
Joab Anias

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »

It wasn't uncharitable, it is simply that they would probably consider it so in the context of that thread.

Probably so, that and there isn't the same moderator in all threads which makes a difference. Each has their own idiosyncrasies. So its often not always easy to know what to expect. What one does the other may not. Where one doesn't respond another could suspend. I find that in any forum.

The thing is, they have to keep the Latins and the Byzantines separate on their own forum so they won't offend each other with the vast disparity that exists within Catholic praxis. Pretty sad if you ask me.
I agree such discord is sad, in their defence its to bad they have to do that.

It is the same mentality that prevents the ordination of married priests in the Eastern Catholic Churches of North America. Goodness, we wouldn't want to offend or confuse those poor Latins with the ancient practice of the Church now would we?

I know of plenty of married EOCC priests. Their ordinations weren't prevented. Being Latin myself I understand the discipline for what it is and as such can appreciate it from both a disciplinary aesthetic practice to help control passions/emotions as well as from a pastoral standpoint for the good of the flock.

I don't know if its so much about causing offense as confusion. I am sure there is plenty of information about the practice in both flavors available there if they want to find out about it. I don't think they want inflammation which is understandable as the role of moderation is often as peacemaker. Personally I have experienced more healing by the practice of chastity than I could have ever imagined possible.  As St. Paul says, he would rather we be as he was but if we cannot there is no sin either.

Peace.

Edit for grammar.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:09:22 AM by Joab Anias » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:12:56 AM »

What is EOCC?  Huh

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
yeshua

Faith: Syriac-Maronite

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »

It should be noted that some Eastern Catholic hierarchs have been utilizing the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches as a way to practice married clergy in the diaspora. However, the Maronites have not been granted this ability. The latter have a, shall we say, papal incursion that has forfeited the Maronites from reclaiming their heritage of married priests in the United States.

Goodness, we wouldn't want to offend or confuse those poor Latins with the ancient practice of the Church now would we?

In my opinion, this statement by some Latins is a pure hindsight excuse to perpetuate the falsified superiority of one tradition over another. I agree with your sarcasm.

Peace and God Bless.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:19:02 AM by yeshua » Logged
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:52 PM »

Their bishops get around the restrictions by sending them back to Europe to be ordained, after which they return to the US.

This was true until recently (late '90's or early 2000's?) for those in the UGCC.  For now, the Vatican has agreed to "look the other way."  But it could go back to the way you describe at any time, as far as I know. 

I think there are quite a few married UGCC priests around in North America, but quite a few celibate ones also.  The Melkite Church in NA has very few married priests, AFAIK.  In fact, there may only be one.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »

The "Sui Juris Metropolitan Byzantine Church of America" (formerly known as the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church) still has yet to fully exercise their right to ordain married men to the priesthood, even though Rome said "Cum Data Fuerit" decree is no longer binding.

U-C
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: