OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:57:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is OC.net anti-catholic in moderation?  (Read 12780 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2008, 05:19:04 PM »

Thanks for the messages. Maybe you are right. Lent is coming. I will cool off. I'll be back on Ash Wednesday (one week from today), but I will be adding something to my Lenten penances: no polemical discussions for me.

May God bless you all until then.

I hope your preparation for lent is a blessed one, and that your time of preparing for the Lord's Resurrection assists you in any way that you need!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »

And may I wish you a (super) happy Cheesefare Sunday, and a blessed beginning of Great Lent tomorrow.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2008, 11:37:44 PM »

Thanks for the messages. Maybe you are right. Lent is coming. I will cool off. I'll be back on Ash Wednesday (one week from today), but I will be adding something to my Lenten penances: no polemical discussions for me.

May God bless you all until then.

Well at least you've got the Super Bowl (Angry Cry) to cheer you up.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2008, 01:02:02 AM »

And may I wish you a (super) happy Cheesefare Sunday, and a blessed beginning of Great Lent tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness, but our Lent begins very late this year. Cheesefare Sunday is March 2, and Great Lent begins March 3 (New Calendar...not sure about the Old).

Blessed Great Lent to all our friends in the West.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2008, 01:16:57 AM »

Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness, but our Lent begins very late this year. Cheesefare Sunday is March 2, and Great Lent begins March 3 (New Calendar...not sure about the Old).

The movable feasts associated with Pascha are the same on both calendars.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2008, 01:53:28 AM »

Sorry, Y-man, but I think you're a week early on this one. Wink  Cheesefare/Forgiveness Sunday is March 9 with Clean Monday to follow on March 10.  I do believe, though, that Mardi Gras--STAY OUT OF NEW ORLEANS!--is this Tuesday, with Ash Wednesday the next day.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »

Boy is my face red Shocked

Great Lent begins today for Melkite Catholics in the U.S. When I wrote the above, I apparently forgot that  Melkite Catholics in the U.S. celebrate the western date for Easter, and not the Orthodox Easter (unless the two just happen to coincide).

Would I be right in wishing you a blessed feast of Sts. Simeon and Anna today?
-Peter.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »

Would I be right in wishing you a blessed feast of Sts. Simeon and Anna today?
-Peter.

Almost - it was yesterday, the 3rd - but that's very thoughtful of you!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »

Sorry, Y-man, but I think you're a week early on this one. Wink  Cheesefare/Forgiveness Sunday is March 9 with Clean Monday to follow on March 10.  I do believe, though, that Mardi Gras--STAY OUT OF NEW ORLEANS!--is this Tuesday, with Ash Wednesday the next day.
Doh! I was looking at the pink squares on my St. Tikhon's calendar, which indicate a fast day--but I forgot that Cheesefare Week is colored pink as well.

And along with New Orleans, all of the Spanish-speaking world is celebrating Carnival tomorrow, so it might be best to stay out of the Western Hemisphere this week.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:58:49 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2008, 01:50:45 AM »

Well, I'm back.

I had a very blessed week. All was grace. I spent much of it in retreat with some Assumptionist friends at their center. As you might know, the Augustinians of the Assumption are known for their engagement with the East. Much of the art on the walls of the Assumptionist house was Eastern. The room I slept in was adorned with an icon of Christ Pantokrator and also a Greek depiction of the Dormition of the Theotokos. One of my friends there, a seminarian, carries around a prayer rope and prays the Jesus Prayer. How about that, eh? He's going to be a wonderful priest.

I repent of my lack of charity here in the past, and I sincerely beg you all for your forgiveness. I will not let it happen again.

I am reminded of the end of Epistle reading I heard at Mass this past Sunday, Quinquagesima Sunday:

"And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity."

(St. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, chapter 13)

I am very eager to begin Lent. I don't know why, but I feel such joy in anticipation of the penances and devotions I plan to perform. Joy, mixed with sorrow over the sins we have committed that led Christ to die on that Cross. I pray that, with the assistance of grace, the crosses we all bear bring us closer to Christ.

May the light of our Lord shine brightly upon you all this week. God bless.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2008, 03:03:30 AM »

God bless. 

You too!

---------------------
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2008, 03:25:21 AM »

I repent of my lack of charity here in the past, and I sincerely beg you all for your forgiveness. I will not let it happen again.
May God forgive us all (which is an Orthodox way of saying I forgive you).
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »

I can't help but feeling that there is some hypocrisy here, considering the many-page rant at the CAF (and the crowing over the conversions EO posters there had accomplished) in a thread elsewhere in this forum. I saw the CAF Eastern forum before the deluge---it wasn't pretty.

Venjamin,

My intention was to clarify, not proselytize. The mention of my personal experience was just an aside. If I had known I would be taken that way, I would not have mentioned it. But the statement did beg for clarification.

Lubeltri,

Just curious, who are you at CAF (or are you)?

Personally, even if you were proselytizing (and I don't recall any glaring example), Orthodoxy can take it.  I'd prefer honesty than walking on egg shells.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2008, 01:26:53 AM »

Just curious, who are you at CAF (or are you)?

Hi ialmistry,

I don't think I had a username. I lurked there for a while (and still do occasionally). I do have a username on the Defenders of the Catholic Faith forum. I am Baeda Venerabilis. If I am listed on CAF, it would be that name.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2008, 01:29:35 AM »

DCF forum...now there's an Orthodox friendly place  Undecided

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: