OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:51:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talked to a priest Sunday  (Read 2091 times) Average Rating: 0
Tony

« on: June 10, 2003, 08:29:59 PM »

I attended Divine Liturgy at an Orthodox parish I've never been to before. It was very small with less than 20 people. Afterward I approached the priest about entering Orthodoxy through his parish. He didn't seem very interested in preparing me for reception. As a matter of fact I felt like I was at the dentist office having my teeth pulled as we were talking. I am probably going to return next week and see if he seems more interested. After that I don't know what I'll do. It is difficult for me to travel because I have a serious medical condition and this is the closest parish to my house. Please keep me in your prayers.

In Christ,
Tony
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 08:41:59 PM »

He didn't seem very interested in preparing me for reception. As a matter of fact I felt like I was at the dentist office having my teeth pulled as we were talking.

Sometimes priests have a lot on their minds, they pray constantly for us, and they are human just like us and sometimes are not the best at opening up to someone new.  This is especially true of priests from other cultures.  Was there a language barrier ?  Why did it seem like pulling teeth ?
Tony

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 08:50:22 PM »

There was no language barrier. I believe he is a convert himself and born in the U.S. I even spoke to him on the phone a few days before, (He seemed the same way on the phone) so he knew I was coming. It felt like pulling teeth because as I was telling him about my background and my studies so far in Orthodoxy he wasn't very responsive. Maybe he was just trying to listen or maybe as you say he has a lot on his mind at the moment. I will go back again this Sunday and see how it goes.

In Christ,
Anthony

Sometimes priests have a lot on their minds, they pray constantly for us, and they are human just like us and sometimes are not the best at opening up to someone new.  This is especially true of priests from other cultures.  Was there a language barrier ?  Why did it seem like pulling teeth
Fotina02

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 09:25:20 PM »

Hi Tony

If you're convinced of the truth of Orthodoxy don't let anything deter or keep you from that course, whether a noncommittal priest, indifferent or even unfriendly congregation, or your own sloth.

Remember, the enemy would love nothing more than to turn you away from Christ and His Church.

Praying for you in your journey.
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 09:26:54 PM »

It is difficult for me to travel because I have a serious medical condition and this is the closest parish to my house. Please keep me in your prayers.

Will do.  

Remember Anthony, that satan wants nothing more than to keep you away from Christ and His Church, and he will do all he can to accomplish this.

May God guide you and keep you in your journey.

In Christ,

- Christopher
Fotina02

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 09:31:58 PM »

Wow, Oblio!

Were we thinking/praying alike or what?!
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 09:37:52 PM »

Smiley

I had the same thought.
I guarantee I can't type that fast.
Tony

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 10:04:48 PM »

Thank you Fotina and Christopher for the prayers and words of encouragement. I am not going to let this dissuade me from seeking the Truth and it helps knowing I have your prayers.

In Christ,
Tony
Fotina02

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 10:27:17 PM »

Oblio

Our amazingly similar posts reminds me of something I read somewhere, that when we pray whether at church or home, as Orthodox we pray with the Church, as the One Body of Christ. Our prayers are never isolated and is one of the reasons we should use the prayers of the Church to form our prayer life.

Remembering that I'm praying together with the whole Church, in heaven and on earth, has given more meaning to my morning/evening prayers.  Using a prayerbook was one thing (among many) that has taken a little getting used to, but I'm more convinced now!

In Christ,

Fotina02, as in the Samaritan Woman at the Well
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 10:55:56 PM »

Hi Tony,

I would give it another week. And then if the response is the same - I would ask him if he is interested in new members? Just because he is Priest, that does not excuse him from making you feel unwelcome.

Concerning last Sunday:

Was there a reception after the Liturgy?

How did the other parishoners respond when they saw you? Did any of them talk to you?

What would you say is the average age of the people attending last Sunday? Did you feel out of place age-wise?

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2003, 09:45:24 PM »

Dear Tony,

After church services on Sunday is not always the best time for the priests, although it might be the only time for us.  It might be helpful to keep somethings in mind:

1) He fasted from the night before and just celebrated Liturgy which is demanding.

2) In some places people come through rather often.  To wish to convert at a first visit may seem strange to some.  He may see it as "crying wolf" and want to see how dedicated you are.

I am not saying that I endorse any of the above as an appropriate way of responding just that these are possibilities.  If that is the only parish you can reasonably reach well you may have to stay there.  

As others have said, dont give up!  There is no price too high to pay.  

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: