OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 04:07:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox view/opinon of St. Jerome of Stridonium  (Read 2840 times) Average Rating: 0
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« on: January 23, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »

Thread split from:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14372.0.html

-- Friul

Hello,

Augustine is fine.  Jerome....well, let's just say I'm less than enthralled by him, although my priest is a staunch member of the St. Jerome fan club.

Not to get too far off-track, but do you not like Saint Jerome as a person or do you not like his theology?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:27:29 AM by Friul » Logged

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

Thread split from:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14372.0.html

-- Friul

Hello,

Not to get too far off-track, but do you not like Saint Jerome as a person or do you not like his theology?

Either, actually.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »

I kind of wonder about his preoccupation with the Hebrew OT over and above the LXX Greek (and, consequently, his belittling of the deuterocanonical books).

Also, he was iconoclastic, no?  (citation HERE, at the blog of an Evangelical friend of mine citing Jerome to argue against icons)

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Symeon
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:58:46 PM »

That passage isn't from St. Jerome. It's from a letter that purports to come from St. Epiphanius and was often cited by the iconoclasts. The Fathers judged the passage to be a forgery, and Fr. Georges Florovsky and other scholars agree (and some disagree, for that matter).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:00:17 PM by Symeon » Logged
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »

Hello,

That passage isn't from St. Jerome. It's from a letter that purports to come from St. Epiphanius and was often cited by the iconoclasts. The Fathers judged the passage to be a forgery, and Fr. Georges Florovsky and other scholars agree (and some disagree, for that matter).

At best, Saint Jerome wrote it as a scribe for Saint Epiphanius.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »

Wow.  Any citations for patristic doubt concerning its veracity?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Symeon
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »

I had a specific passage from St. John of Damascus in mind, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway, here is Fr. Georges Florovsky:

Certain works which have been ascribed to Epiphanius on the veneration of icons deserve particular attention. They were frequently cited by iconoclasts, especially at the council of 754, but the defenders of the veneration of icons, the iconodules, considered them spurious. This was also the judgment of the fathers of the Seventh Ecumenical Council (Nicaea, 787), who wrote that "we reject these writings, but we consider the holy father Epiphanius a teacher of the universal church." The patriarch Nicephorus wrote specifically against these books and we can judge them for ourselves on the basis of the few fragments which are contained in his denunciations. It is almost certain that they do not belong to Epiphanius, despite the conclusions of some modern scholars. Apparently an episode which is presented as if narrated by Epiphanius himself in a letter to John of Jerusalem is a later addition. This has long been known in Jerome's translation, and in Nicephorus we have the Greek text. According to the narration, in a Church in a city in Palestine Epiphanius saw a picture of a man, either Christ or a saint, on a curtain. In irritation he tore the curtain to pieces and gave it to be used as shrouds for the poor. In return he presented the church with an unadorned cloth.
http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/fathers_florovsky_1.htm#_Toc3723908

As for the Orthodox view of St. Jerome, St. John Cassian calls him "the Teacher of the Catholics, whose writings shine like divine lamps throughout the whole world" and "a man of the greatest knowledge and also of the most pure and approved doctrine" and against his opponent Nestorius, he writes "But perhaps the authority of this man seems a mere nothing to you." http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf211.iv.vii.viii.xxvi.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:29:02 PM by Symeon » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:13:58 AM »

I had a specific passage from St. John of Damascus in mind, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway, here is Fr. Georges Florovsky:
http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/fathers_florovsky_1.htm#_Toc3723908

As for the Orthodox view of St. Jerome, St. John Cassian calls him "the Teacher of the Catholics, whose writings shine like divine lamps throughout the whole world" and "a man of the greatest knowledge and also of the most pure and approved doctrine" and against his opponent Nestorius, he writes "But perhaps the authority of this man seems a mere nothing to you." http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf211.iv.vii.viii.xxvi.html

St. John deals with the quote in his quotations of the Fathers in his Orations on the Holy Icons (the first, I believe).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: