OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:39:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North American Unity  (Read 34089 times) Average Rating: 0
Acolyte

Faith: The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Jurisdictionalism is sin.

« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »

We do have people think, "They're not our ethnicity" or "They don't give to our tithe, why should I help?"

Which is that mysterious (non)jurisdiction in Orthodox Church with such believers?

Please don't assume it doesn't exist merely because you haven't seen it. That would be illogical.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2008, 05:15:51 PM »

We do have people think, "They're not our ethnicity" or "They don't give to our tithe, why should I help?"

Which is that mysterious (non)jurisdiction in Orthodox Church with such believers?

Please don't assume it doesn't exist merely because you haven't seen it. That would be illogical.

I don't assume it. I'm asking you. I'm challenging you to reveal that "ethnic group".

Because, you know, we know each other for 'bout 11 centuries (when we newcomers came), I know there is no such ethnicity among us.

So, reveal your secret nonjurisdictional ethnic jurisdiction.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Acolyte

« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »

For example, it's a known fact that certain parishes in this country deny priests merely for not being their ethnicity. You should know about these things. Jurisdictionalism is sin.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:21:47 PM by Acolyte » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »

Jurisdictionalism is sin.

Um.... OK....
So now we have an anonymous Pope online who thinks he can tell us what is and isn't a sin. Gee, that's much better than "Juristictionalism". Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »

For example, it's a known fact that certain parishes in this country deny priests merely for not being their ethnicity. You should know about these things. Jurisdictionalism is sin.

Don't switch the subject. You claimed:

I claim there is no such an ethnicity among us and I'm challenging you to reveal which one is it.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2008, 05:33:27 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOO im against being under the newcalender Greek Church , i like it the way it is.....everybody under there own patriarch or metropolitan.....united in faith but seperate....thats the way i like it ah hu ah hu....
In the end, though, it doesn't matter one iota what you or anyone here wants personally.  The status quo of several Orthodox bishops in one city is NOT the norm specified in the canons, which makes our current situation a canonical crime indeed.  This must be remedied!

However, the required process of administrative unification will take a long time to complete, since there are so many complicated issues that must be discussed by the hierarchs of our various jurisdictions.  We may not see the final result in our lifetimes, so patience and perseverance in the face of seeming lack of progress and frequent setbacks is absolutely necessary.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »

I suspect you may be  a latin  troll ,,you don't know what your talking about ...all orthodox are united in faith...i never run across a orthodox priest being denied because of his ethicinty anywhere...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Acolyte

« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

I'm not telling you anything that you won't find out from being Orthodox long enough. I've been Orthodox longer than most who try to tell me what Orthodoxy is.

If you'd like to learn of some solutions to jurisdictionalism, I recommend this article:
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles6/TrenhamUnity.php
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:39:51 PM by Acolyte » Logged
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »

...  The status quo of several Orthodox bishops in one city is NOT the norm specified in the canons, which makes our current situation a canonical crime indeed.  This must be remedied!

AFAIK, I've heard the consent was already reached in SCOBA to cease appointing the successors of reposed bishops with the city in the same town where another bishop does have the seat.

Gentlemen agreement was violated by EP (I can't remember the city).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:41:01 PM by orthodoxlurker » Logged

orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »

I'm not telling you anything that you won't find out from being Orthodox long enough. I've been Orthodox longer than most who try to tell me what Orthodoxy is.

I'm not teaching you. I'm just asking. I'm challenging you. Reveal us the ethnicity.

orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »

I suspect you may be  a latin  troll ,,you don't know what your talking about ...all orthodox are united in faith...i never run across a orthodox priest being denied because of his ethicinty anywhere...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Me 2.

Acolyte

« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »

I'm not teaching you. I'm just asking. I'm challenging you. Reveal us the ethnicity.

Because this relates to my own family, I don't really want to talk about specifics. You will find out soon enough. Just remember that Christ is God, regardless of the sins of His followers.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2008, 05:49:15 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOO im against being under the newcalender Greek Church , i like it the way it is.....everybody under there own patriarch or metropolitan.....united in faith but seperate....thats the way i like it ah hu ah hu....
In the end, though, it doesn't matter one iota what you or anyone here wants personally.  The status quo of several Orthodox bishops in one city is NOT the norm specified in the canons, which makes our current situation a canonical crime indeed.  This must be remedied!

However, the required process of administrative unification will take a long time to complete, since there are so many complicated issues that must be discussed by the hierarchs of our various jurisdictions.  We may not see the final result in our lifetimes, so patience and perseverance in the face of seeming lack of progress and frequent setbacks is absolutely necessary.

Brother many faithful orthodox don't worry about this above,,their to busy working out there salvation ..i didn't gave it much thought ,until i started reading about it here...
i attended many orthodox churches be it Greek russian ,ukrainian ,bulgarian,romainian,i lked all the differences culture ,food music i never looked at them a seperated brothers ,,but united in one faith holy orthodoxy...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

Because this relates to my own family, I don't really want to talk about specifics. You will find out soon enough. Just remember that Christ is God, regardless of the sins of His followers.

What you said is a lie.

There is no such ethnicity among Orthodox who'd say "I won't help them while they are in trouble because they aren't of mine ethnicity".

There is no such one among us.

Americans are not ethnicity, except the native ones, so what you say is simply impossible.

You are troll.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:52:59 PM by orthodoxlurker » Logged

Acolyte

« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »

What you said is a lie.

There is no such ethnicity among Orthodox who'd say "I won't help them while they are in trouble because they aren't of mine ethnicity".

There is no such one among us.

Americans are not ethnicity, except the native ones, so what you say is simply impossible.

You are troll.

Please stop making false statements. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. From the beginning of Orthodoxy in this country, to the present, sins have been committed between Orthodox Christians merely for belonging to different ethnicities. Your ignorance is not my problem.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #285 on: September 08, 2008, 06:01:32 PM »

where's that popcorn emoticon when I need it?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Acolyte

« Reply #286 on: September 08, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »

I hope this is a forum capable of rational conversation. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:03:04 PM by Acolyte » Logged
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2008, 06:09:02 PM »

No one here is making you post!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Acolyte

« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »

No one here needs to be irrational.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »

Least of all, you. Wink
Acolyte

« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »

Least of all, you. Wink

Yes, exactly. That is why I've rationally defended every point I've made so far on this forum, other than that which should already be obvious to those who've been Orthodox long enough. Again, an irrational forum is unworthy of my time. I might have to leave in the near future.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #291 on: September 08, 2008, 06:19:59 PM »

I might have to leave in the near future.

Then that is your choice. Again, since no one is making you post here, your statements of this forum potentially being irrational yet combined with your continued posting here, points to a deeper personal problem of yours than any possible deficiencies of this forum.

You are free to leave at any time.

Acolyte

« Reply #292 on: September 08, 2008, 06:22:26 PM »

And all the members of this forum who display irrationality are welcome to end it at any time. I recommend studying the rules of logic.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #293 on: September 08, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »

Least of all, you. Wink

Yes, exactly. That is why I've rationally defended every point I've made so far on this forum, other than that which should already be obvious to those who've been Orthodox long enough. Again, an irrational forum is unworthy of my time. I might have to leave in the near future.
You do realize, though, that it doesn't matter how thoroughly and logically you defend your points?  If you do so in a constantly emotional (e.g., angry, defensive, or panicked) tone, no amount of logic will overcome the perception that you're being irrational.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:51:00 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #294 on: September 08, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »

Please stop making false statements. ...
Your ignorance is not my problem.

Listen, lady.

I'm not making false statements. I'm just challenging you to point to the ethnicity of Orthodox Christians not wanting to help someone for just not being of their own ethnicity.

I say there are no such ones among us.

And we know each other for about 12 centuries, when we newcommers came. Well, that's not quite accurate, I disregarded Aleuts, Tlingit and other American natives, they came after us. But I bet they are the same.

So, speak up, reveal which ethnicity rejected to help some among the brethren for they were of different ethnicity.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #295 on: September 08, 2008, 06:24:16 PM »

where's that popcorn emoticon when I need it?

Father....bless.....all i could find is this ear of corn....SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #296 on: September 08, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »

Thank you, Stashko!  Cheesy

Acolyte

« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »

I'm sorry to have caused hurt or offense. Sadly, there are certain things you are going to learn the hard way. Just remember that Christ is God, regardless of the sins of His followers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:31:06 PM by Acolyte » Logged
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2008, 06:31:52 PM »

... From the beginning of Orthodoxy in this country, to the present, sins have been committed between Orthodox Christians merely for belonging to different ethnicities.

From the beggining of Christianty sins have been committed for various reasons. And there are no other ones but sinners among us Orthodox.

But reveal us where, an entire ethnic parish, or an entire diocese, not to mention an autocephalia, refused to help someone for not being of their own ethnicity.

Do tell us, before you stop wasting your time here.

Acolyte

« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »

These problems that I allude to will hopefully be resolved in the future. Until then, please read this article:
Orthodox Reunion: Overcoming the Curse of Jurisdictionalism in America

link removed since it had been provided earlier in this thread.

+Fr Chris
Admin

Acolyte---

Do you have any additional information to support your contention, instead of just (one could say irrationally...  Wink ) referring to the same source?

As Gandhi states, be the change you want in the world.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:38:59 PM by FrChris » Logged
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »

Since the Greek Orthodox Church is the oldest within the continental United States (Alaska was not a state), and since it is the largest jurisdiction, and since it is under the authority of the Ecumenical Patriarch, and since nations do not traditionally have their own national jurisdictions unless their people are Orthodox, the best solution for unity would be if all jurisdictions were to unite under the Greek Orthodox Church.

Sorry, Russian Jurisdiction is well established at this point.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Acolyte

« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »

Since the Greek Orthodox Church is the oldest within the continental United States (Alaska was not a state), and since it is the largest jurisdiction, and since it is under the authority of the Ecumenical Patriarch, and since nations do not traditionally have their own national jurisdictions unless their people are Orthodox, the best solution for unity would be if all jurisdictions were to unite under the Greek Orthodox Church.

The Russians in the United States can maintain their traditions while being under the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in America. Otherwise, the Greeks can be under the Russian Patriarch. I don't really care. We just need to end this division among jurisdictional lines. We also need to end this OCA autocephaly nonsense.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:21:16 PM by Acolyte » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #302 on: March 30, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »

The Russians in the United States can maintain their traditions while being under the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in America. Otherwise, the Greeks can be under the Russian Patriarch. I don't really care. We just need to end this division among jurisdictional lines. We also need to end this OCA autocephaly nonsense.
What nonsense?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:52:39 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »

What nonsense?
Trying to prove a point again?  By quoting a reply posted several months ago from a poster who is now banned?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »

What nonsense?
Trying to prove a point again?  By quoting a reply posted several months ago from a poster who is now banned?
That's not what the profile says.

I came across this in response to this thread (where I commented on this post, as the Chief Secretary displays the same "thought")
A poster after the Chief Secretary's own heart.  What "autocephaly" nonsense is unspecified, just derived.  The same making diaspora of the natives ("AK not a state": neither was FL or LA).  The reason why we need to bring history in, to clue people in.
trying to find out about what was posted about the Romanians, which was referred to in that thread.

Has something changed in the last several months?  How about last month, since the Chief Secretary expounded these "thoughts" to a captive (?) audience at Holy Cross seminary?  The official line?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »

What nonsense?
That's not what the profile says.
Yeah, I just noticed that. Wink

I came across this in response to this thread (where I commented on this post, as the Chief Secretary displays the same "thought")
A poster after the Chief Secretary's own heart.  What "autocephaly" nonsense is unspecified, just derived.  The same making diaspora of the natives ("AK not a state": neither was FL or LA).  The reason why we need to bring history in, to clue people in.
trying to find out about what was posted about the Romanians, which was referred to in that thread.
You do notice that the post you quoted says nothing about Romania?

Has something changed in the last several months?  How about last month, since the Chief Secretary expounded these "thoughts" to a captive (?) audience at Holy Cross seminary?  The official line?
I think you need to go back to the "Challenges of Orthodoxy" thread to find that out. Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:15:46 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: American Unity 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: