OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 05:32:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How well do you REALLY know Roe V. Wade?  (Read 2257 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: January 21, 2008, 04:52:44 PM »

With the 35th anniversary of Roe V. Wade and Doe V. Bolton sadly upon us, what's particularly disturbing is how little we Christians fully understand the implications of these monumentally devastating decisions.  Below is a simple test to see how much you really know about them.  Click on the link below.  You will be surprised.

www.roeiqtest.com
Roe IQ Test" border="0" height="233" width="280
www.roeiqtest.com

Please consider helping to end the 35 year holocaust against pre-born babies.

"O Heavenly King, O Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who art in all places and fillest all things; Treasury of good things and Giver of Life: Come and dwell in us and cleanse us from every stain, and save our souls, O Gracious Lord."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:12:39 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »

What does the US judicial system have to do with Orthodox Christian Faith Issues?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:12:29 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »

Hello,

I got 11 out of 12 correct. I missed the one about the Supreme Court Justice.

It is sad that I or anyone else would ever have to contemplate or even know about such an idiotic judicial paradigm.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »

What does the US judicial system have to do with Orthodox Christian Faith Issues?
The larger issue, and my point here, is about abortion which the Orthodox faith is against.  The website quoted is to help educate us Christians regarding this aspect of their faith.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »

(now that I've moved this out of the Faith Issues section)  Just a general request, considering the political hot potato this topic often is, that you refrain from polemical discussion of the politics of this Supreme Court decision, unless you really do want this topic to be moved to the Private Forum.  I'm sure Pravoslavbob (and the rest of the admin/moderator team) will appreciate your cooperation.  - PeterTheAleut
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »

The larger issue, and my point here, is about abortion which the Orthodox faith is against.  The website quoted is to help educate us Christians regarding this aspect of their faith.
Kinduva moot point now that I considered this more of a general issue affecting all Christians and moved this thread appropriately.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »

^^Admins/Mods/ and the rest of y'all,

It is not my intention to start a debate but merely to help educate everyone about these decisions that affect millions of families per year.  I don't fully understand why we needed to move this thread seing how preserving life is an important aspect of our Orthodoxy faith, but whatever... Just please visit the link given and please- no debating on this thread.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:44:27 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »

The website quoted is to help educate us Christians regarding this aspect of their faith.
In what way? What aspect of Faith?
How does a test about people's knowledge of a Court Case teach people anything about Faith?

It is not my intention to start a debate but merely to help educate everyone about these decisions that affect millions of families per year. 
I see. Your idea of how to "educate" is not to discuss things and get us to think, but rather, tell us what to think.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:47:48 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

(I moved this thread to FFA to encourage our Catholic posters to sound off, as well, because this is an issue on which both our traditions agree.)

Athanasios was kind enough to start a thread in the private Politics forum to parallel this thread.  If you want to discuss the politics of Roe v. Wade but don't have access to the private forum, please PM FrChris a request that you be granted permission to view and post on the private boards.  Thank you.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:11:59 PM »

In what way? What aspect of Faith?
How does a test about people's knowledge of a Court Case teach people anything about Faith?
I see. Your idea of how to "educate" is not to discuss things and get us to think, but rather, tell us what to think.
No, George, you're reading way too much into things.  First, let me apologize if this bothers you. 

To begin, this particular court case and it's twin, Doe v. Bolton, impacts not only Orthodox Christians, not only Christians, but all people who hold to the the sanctity of life; which is an important aspect of our Faith.  The Holy Orthodox Church has issued statement upon statement that she is against abortion.  Doesn't this qualify as an aspect of our Faith?  I've always felt so.  Now, many people have heard about Roe V. Wade yet don't know too much about it other than 'it's about abortion'.  This test is merely to help clarify some of the aspects of Roe V. Wade.  It cannot tell you what to think.  For example, one of the questions goes something like "Under Roe V. Wade, who is allowed to perform an abortion?"  Most people would assume it must be a licensed physician but such is not the case.  Giving a factual answer to this question, and others like it, cannot tell anyone what to think but simply educate us to where we understand the case better. 

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 06:14:58 PM »

Giving a factual answer to this question, and others like it, cannot tell anyone what to think but simply educate us to where we understand the case better. 
So, we are talking about educating people around the world about a Court Case in the US.
So again I ask:

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »

So, we are talking about educating people around the world about a Court Case in the US.

George, are you not my brother-in-Christ?  Don't things that affect Christians in Australia, in effect, affect Christians all over the world; the reason why we pray for all Orthodox Christians in the Divine Liturgy?  The connection then, is that Christians, primarily in the US, but ultimately the world over, need to understand the full impact on the laws that affect not only Christians on a national level, but just as importantly on an International level.  To give you an example- If you were to meet an American in Australia and somehow the topic of abortion were to come up, if you were informed on the Roe V. Wade decision perhaps you could enter into a more meaningful dialogue, no?  Chances are, the American will be familiar with the names of Roe and Wade, but perhaps not the details.  That's all I'm saying here. 

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »

To give you an example- If you were to meet an American in Australia and somehow the topic of abortion were to come up, if you were informed on the Roe V. Wade decision perhaps you could enter into a more meaningful dialogue, no?
Yeah, I could enter into a dialogue about the US judiciary, or the US Court decision in the Roe vs. Wade case, but I couldn't enter into a discussion about the Christian view of abortion based on my knowledge of Roe vs. Wade, any more than my knowledge of the US Banking System could inform me about the Christian view of the sin of usury.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »

Yeah, I could enter into a dialogue about the US judiciary, or the US Court decision in the Roe vs. Wade case, but I couldn't enter into a discussion about the Christian view of abortion based on my knowledge of Roe vs. Wade,
You could if you take the test. Wink

www.roeiqtest.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:53:20 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »

You could if you take the test. Wink

www.roeiqtest.com
I disagree.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »

I disagree.
Fair enough, but why?  I'm not trying to be facetious or difficult- I'd really like to know your reasoning.

GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »

George, are you not my brother-in-Christ?  Don't things that affect Christians in Australia, in effect, affect Christians all over the world; the reason why we pray for all Orthodox Christians in the Divine Liturgy?  The connection then, is that Christians, primarily in the US, but ultimately the world over, need to understand the full impact on the laws that affect not only Christians on a national level, but just as importantly on an International level.  To give you an example- If you were to meet an American in Australia and somehow the topic of abortion were to come up, if you were informed on the Roe V. Wade decision perhaps you could enter into a more meaningful dialogue, no?  Chances are, the American will be familiar with the names of Roe and Wade, but perhaps not the details.  That's all I'm saying here. 

Hear, Hear!!!

Just want to say thanks, Gabriel, for posting that.  I didn't realize it was the 35th anniversary.  And the quiz was RATHER enlightening.  I'll save the political debate for the politics forum, but I'll just say here that, in light of your post I quoted above, it made me realize that, while some would water the issue down to mere debate over legislation, we as Orthodox Christians, better spend some more time in prayer, because we have (as of November 2006) 40,944,029 dead babies to pray for, as well as the mothers, fathers, and families of those babies.   There just aren't enough tears for that.  Cry  

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »

Fair enough, but why?  I'm not trying to be facetious or difficult- I'd really like to know your reasoning.
For the reasons I have explained above.
Roe vs. Wade was a decision handed down by the US Judiciary. Basically, the State (from which the Church in the US is separated) stated that under US Law, an abortion can legally be sought. But US Law also states that unmarried couples can live in defacto relationships- how does that inform me about the Christian view of fornication?
Now, if you want to talk about overturning Roe vs. Wade- which is a US political issue, not a Christian one, then take me on in the politics thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14403.0.html Wink

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »

we as Orthodox Christians, better spend some more time in prayer, because we have (as of November 2006) 40,944,029 dead babies to pray for, as well as the mothers, fathers, and families of those babies.   There just aren't enough tears for that.  Cry  
Amen, amen, amen, Presbytera.

then take me on in the politics thread: Wink
Brother, I have no desire to 'take you on' here or anywhere else.  Forgive me for upsetting you.

Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »

Hello,

This past weekend, my Diocese held its annual Mass for Life. We started out in the morning in front of the abortion mill. We prayed the Rosary as we walked up and down the sidewalk. It was frigid, so alot of our prayers were muffled by our scarves and our faces were not all visible - but we were there. Our Bishop (and several Priests) even came to pray with us. As the cars went up and down the street, some just went by, some honked and wave, some yelled (and worse). But we were there.

After the Rosary, about an hour later, we gathered at the Church where the Bishop and about two dozen Priests con-celebrated the Mass. There was a sizable contingent of Knights of Columbus also.

The abortion (the only one in the Dioceses, as far as I know) at one time operated six days a week. Now it only runs on one. As my Bishop noted: even one abortion is too many, but the numbers are going down.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »

I have no intention of taking the test until I find out more about who is gathering the info and why.  I don't need my answers being used as fodder against the cause of ending abortion in this country.  I looked through the site but couldn't find enough info to make a decision.  Can anyone help me out?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »

I have no intention of taking the test until I find out more about who is gathering the info and why.  I don't need my answers being used as fodder against the cause of ending abortion in this country.  I looked through the site but couldn't find enough info to make a decision.  Can anyone help me out?
Hi Tina,

The test can be found at Dr. James Dobson's 'Focus on the Family' at www.family.org
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:31:35 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »

Hi Tina,

The test can be found at Dr. James Dobson's 'Focus on the Family' at www.family.org

Now there's an organization you want to be associated with. Roll Eyes

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags: abortion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: