OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:52:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Acceptance of the Council of 879-80 as Ecumenical  (Read 18902 times) Average Rating: 0
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 05:38:51 AM »

Quote from: Αριστοκλής on January 15, 2008, 11:26:50 AM
Again, re-read the article. You are expounding the Frankish historical revision (and know full well what we think of Lyons).

I think we're all aware of what the Orthodox think of the Council of Lyons. Be that as it may, the Catholic Church (the Church I place my full loyalty and faith in as THE Church) declares Lyons to be a valid Ecumenical Council.

Can you please tell me why the Orthodox church does not consider the Council of Lyons Ecumenical? Were representatives of the historical patriachs not present and would that make it not ecumenical? (eg. Egypt, Antioch?)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2009, 06:05:46 AM »

Quote from: Αριστοκλής on January 15, 2008, 11:26:50 AM
Again, re-read the article. You are expounding the Frankish historical revision (and know full well what we think of Lyons).

I think we're all aware of what the Orthodox think of the Council of Lyons. Be that as it may, the Catholic Church (the Church I place my full loyalty and faith in as THE Church) declares Lyons to be a valid Ecumenical Council.

Can you please tell me why the Orthodox church does not consider the Council of Lyons Ecumenical? Were representatives of the historical patriachs not present and would that make it not ecumenical? (eg. Egypt, Antioch?)

See  answer given to your duplicate question in 'Orthodox-Catholic Discussion'.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone read any of the articles that we have on the site?

http://www.orthodox.ws/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=28

We have articles on this website?  Cheesy

Seriously, I think I was vaguely cognizant of that fact, but you are the first to direct me to an article here.

Please read the rest of this article, published in 1966 by the famed RC priest Fr. Francis Dvornik. He very clearly indicates that actually your church adopted the Council of 879, but later stated that they had adopted the Council of 869...and I'll let you read the reasons why, since the reasons only buttress the allegations of historical revisionism that are being discussed in a different thread.

I read it in full later, if I have time. Giving it just a quick glance, I see nothing that indicates the the Catholic Church ever officially recognized the Council of 879 as an Ecumenical Council. I see nothing that indicates the same of the Orthodox Church.

The fact that the Council of 869 was not immediately and officially recognized as Ecumenical until centuries later (if that is indeed the case) does not prove or disprove anything. The Second Ecumenical Council was not officially declared Ecumenical until 70 years later at the Council of Chalcedon.
This bit of revisionism dealt with here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25516.new.html#new
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14289.msg202070.html#msg202070

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 12:35:59 PM »

Interesting interview: http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=news&id=102889

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »

it is interesting, but what does it have to do with the First-Second Council?

Another example of why the canon 28 myth needs to be throttled at every opportunity.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:53:50 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: