OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:34:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About Theodicy  (Read 1070 times) Average Rating: 0
M

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 20, 2008, 07:23:53 PM »

I'm a new convert to the Orthodox Church and I was wondering if there were any great Theological writings regarding the Problem of Evil and Theodicy?

Could anyone help me with this? I've been searching everywhere for some Church Fathers or modern day explanations to these issues.

Thanks in advance Smiley
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »

Hello M, 
 Unfortunately I do not have any information on theological writings pertaining to Theodicy.  I just wanted to welcome you here and wish you well.

Juliana Smiley
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »

Maybe if you did a search for the terms "Evil" and "Theodicy," you might find the information you seek.  Another good approach is to click the tags at the bottom of this thread to see what other threads link to those tags.

Otherwise, welcome to the Forum, M.  I pray that your time here is both uplifting and enlightening, and I'll do my part to make that a reality.

- PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »

Welcome, M.  I echo Jlerms' and PetertheAleuts' sentiments.

Some Orthodox Christians have found much help in CS Lewis' works.  He even has a title that deals with the 'problem' of evil.  To my limited knowledge, I don't know if there is a book that deals specifically with the problem of evil as the Fathers and Mothers tended to focus more on overcoming all the problems (evil) that entered our hearts after the Fall.

In Christ,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
M

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »

First, I want to thank you all for the warm welcome Smiley

I am a former Protestant, now converted to Orthodoxy and it has been a difficult journey in that my conception of Theology has been changed drastically over the months. My primary problem is dealing with the Problem of Evil (as it is for most Theists and specifically, Christians).

I suppose my interests in this matter also is influenced by my life of Philosophy (this is what I am majoring in). It has been difficult for me to speak with other Orthodox Christians about this matter and I have been rather depressed about that for some time. Though I understand that Philosophy is not as widely used in the Eastern Church as it is the West, in some ways I wish it was...and specifically when dealing with this issue.

I do appreciate the assistance that you have all tried to give me. Thank you. I do hope to find some answers within the Faith.

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get that off my chest  Cheesy
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:27 AM »

I'm not going to debate the matter on this thread, you can pull up our threads on universalism/apokatastasis for that where we've had extended discussions this very topic. But I'd personally recommend the Catechetical Homilies of St. Gregory of Nyssa.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »

I suppose my interests in this matter also is influenced by my life of Philosophy (this is what I am majoring in). It has been difficult for me to speak with other Orthodox Christians about this matter and I have been rather depressed about that for some time. Though I understand that Philosophy is not as widely used in the Eastern Church as it is the West, in some ways I wish it was...and specifically when dealing with this issue.

I don't know about that, it's just Aristotle we don't really like. If you read Proclus then Dionysius you can see that there are clear philosophical influences.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags: Problem of Evil evil Theodicy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: