OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Anyone Read "Saving Paradise:.."?  (Read 937 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« on: October 25, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »

I just read a short review of a new booked called "Saving Paradise: How Christianity Traded Love of This World for Crucifixion and Empire" by two Protestant scholars, Rita N. Brock and Rebbecca Ann Parker?

It seems they have "discovered" that for the first thousand years or so the Church emphasized our Lords Resurrection and Paradise rather than his suffering on the Cross. I wonder if they acknowledge the correctness of the Orthodox position at all or if they are totally ignorant that we have maintained the original faith on those points? If the latter is true, perhaps someone can have Fr. Peter Gilquest give them a call (former Protestant, author of "Becoming Orthodox"). Maybe they are ripe for conversion. Smiley

Is anyone familiar with this book and is it worth getting? Is there anyone else interested in reading it and then discussing it here?

Many thanks

Marc

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »

Both authors are anti-Christian Unitarian Universalists.  I wouldn't waste my time....

Unitarian Universalist article on both authors and their book
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:12:10 AM »

The book sounds interesting, though I have no idea where they got ideas like "Images of Jesus’s Crucifixion did not appear in churches until the tenth century". I'm hesitant to put the book on my list if that's the kind of claims being made.

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: