Author Topic: ...  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Tikhon

« on: June 13, 2003, 10:11:18 AM »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 08:10:18 PM by Tikhon »

Offline David

• OC.net guru
  • Retired GM
    • Homepage
Re:Seminarians or soon-to-be seminarians out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 10:16:05 AM »
Anastasios and TonyS are at St. Vladimirs.  I hope to join them someday, Godwilling.
"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 07:42:01 PM »
Saint Vlad's is one place I am considering going for my Master's either in the Spring or, more probably, the Fall of 2004.  Until then, I'm just a local visitor.
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Robert

• "Amazing"
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 10:37:03 PM »
I will be attending Franciscan University at Steubenville come Spring of 2004 in hopes of getting my masters degree in theology with a focus in charismatic liturgy studies.

Bobby
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 10:45:49 PM by Bobby »

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 01:02:03 AM »
Yeah right, Bobby.

LOL
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 12:18:08 AM »
I have a desire to serve God in the priesthood, but I am not sure He wants me. I have expressed this desire to my priest. I plan to attend a Reader's class this summer (hopefully) at Christ the Savior Seminary in Johnstown, PA.

Back in February our Metropolitan visited our Church to celebrate our tenth anniversary as a church and to ordain one of our deacons to the priesthood. We were all kind of hanging out in the hall at one point, when my wife loudly addressed the Metropolitan in Russian and said, "My husband wants to be a priest!" I was somewhat embarrassed, but a lively discussion ensued thereafter. I was kind of relieved that the ice was broken and the Metropolitan now knows of my desire.

My wife can get away with such friendly chats with the Metropolitan because his family comes from the same part of Ukraine as my wife's mother.

Honestly, I don't yet know God's will in this matter. If He wants me to become a priest, then I say "amen." If it is not His will, then I wouldn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

At any rate, I would like to take some seminary classes.  ;D
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline Ksenia

• Kiss Babich Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 10:27:12 PM »
I'm a soon to be seminarian!  Starting my studies at St. Vlad's this fall!

Whoo hoo!

Offline TonyS

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 12:22:38 AM »
Tikhon,

There are different reasons from what I can gather.  Some are simple, for instance if someone belongs to the OCA one of the OCA seminaries seems to make sense, likewise with someone from the GOA Holy Cross. if that someone is looking to actively minister in the church.  For instance, AFAIK most jurisdictions want their clergy to be familiar with the music of that jurisdiction, likewise in some jurisdictions there is a language requirement.

Also someone may be living in the vecinity of one of the seminaries and find it easier to not move.  With some of us our bishops send us to where we are, it was our decision to agree or not.  

There is movement too between the seminaries.  People from different jurisdictions study in different places for different reasons.  Also, language may be an issue for some.  IIRC HC worships basically in Greek.  SVS worships in English.  HT Jordanville worships in Slavonic.   St. Tikhon's from what I hear in English and Slavonic.   The Seminary in Johnstown basically serves those of the CR jurisdiction but again not exclusively.

I think it is coincidence that this board has a high rate of SVSers on it.

Have you visited HC?  Have you started the process of application?  When do you expect to begin?

Reader Anthony a.k.a. TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo

neoconwarmonger

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 02:36:48 PM »
I'm a soon to be seminarian!

OCA has female seminarians?

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 04:57:09 PM »
Right - Ksenia will be a student at a theological college, a graduate student, not an ordinand.

Not a problem!
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 04:58:42 PM »
I'm a soon to be seminarian!

OCA has female seminarians?
St Vlad's calls all theological students seminarians.  Of course it doesn't ordain the female ones.

anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Amadeus

• Elder
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 05:28:01 PM »
anastasios:

Posted by: Bobby  Posted on: Fri, June 13, 2003, 10:37:03 PM

I will be attending Franciscan University at Steubenville come Spring of 2004 in hopes of getting my masters degree in theology with a focus in charismatic liturgy studies.
[/b]

Posted by: anastasios  Posted on: Sat, June 14, 2003, 01:02:03 AM  

Yeah right, Bobby.

LOL
[/b]

For all we know, Bobby's tact might find him comparing notes with Dr. Scott Hahn, Professor of Covenant Theology.

'Tis better to have it from the horse's mouth, don't you think?

AmdG

Offline TonyS

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 06:29:20 PM »

I've been through the whole application process and went to visit at the beginning of April. I'll be moving to Boston in August and starting during the fall semester.

--Subdeacon Tikhon

Congratulations!

BTW, which jurisdiction do you belong to?

Tony
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 06:31:06 PM by anastasios »

I'll see you when yo

Offline TonyS

• High Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 06:31:57 PM »

St Vlad's calls all theological students seminarians.  Of course it doesn't ordain the female ones.

anastasios

To be a little more accurate, "St. Vlad's" does not ordain anyone, male or female.  Bishops ordain.  

I'll see you when yo

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 06:35:58 PM »

anastasios

To be a little more accurate, "St. Vlad's" does not ordain anyone, male or female.  Bishops ordain.  

Oh Tony, you always have to be ubercorrect  ;)
Please Buy My Book!

Offline TonyS

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2003, 06:55:31 PM »

I've been through the whole application process and went to visit at the beginning of April. I'll be moving to Boston in August and starting during the fall semester.

--Subdeacon Tikhon

Congratulations!

Tony

Why (how) was this post edited?

I'll see you when yo

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 07:02:12 PM »

--Subdeacon Tikhon

Congratulations!

Tony

Why (how) was this post edited?

You did not do the quotes correctly so I fixed them.

anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Offline WoodyJones

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2003, 12:06:21 AM »
Subdeacon Tikhon,

When you get to Holy Cross in Brookline, be sure to say hello to seminarian John Clay for Woody and Her Honor.
Holy Cross has the best view in Boston and a beautiful chapel.

All the best,
Woody
NULL

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2003, 12:36:21 AM »
For all we know, Bobby's tact might find him comparing notes with Dr. Scott Hahn, Professor of Covenant Theology.

Is it safe for me to admit that I am a fan of Scott and Kimberly Hahn?

I would love the chance to take one of Dr. Hahn's courses.
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline theodore

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2003, 04:45:34 PM »

I'm one of the few, the proud, the Antiochians. ;)

(Start your flames about Roman clerical shirts...) :)

--Subdeacon Tikhon

As a fellow Antiochian, I thought that St. Vlads was the preferred seminary at the present time.   Did Saidna Basil recommend HC?

Theodore

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2003, 08:52:48 PM »

It hasn't been my experience (limited as it may be out on the prairie) that there's a preferred seminary.

I believe St. Vladimir's to be the preferred seminary: most Antiochian students go here and it is very close to the Cathedral and the Chancery, so St. Vlad's Antiochian students have a close working relationship with the Metropolitan.

I wanted to go to HC, discussed it with Bp BASIL, requested it in my application to the Archdiocese, and received the Metropolitan's blessing to apply there. It's my understanding that others have had similar experiences with other seminaries.

True--there are Antiochians at HC and St. Tikhon's.

In my case, it was a combination of factors. I wanted to attend a Byzantine seminary instead of a Slavic one,

St. Vladimir's is not a Slavic Seminary; it is an Orthodox Seminary, period.  There is no trace of Slavic Orthodoxy here; sure we use mostly Russian music (in English 100%) but there is also a substantial amount of Byzantine music done; hardly any of the professors are Slavs anymore; the Dean is a Swedish American; there are Antiochian, Serbian, Greek, Japanese, etc. students, etc etc.

If you meant that you want to go to Holy Cross because of its exclusive use of Byzantine music that's a valid reason.

Many of the Antiochians attend St. Vladimir's because their counterparts at HC, they tell me, feel out of the loop due to not being Greek, or they do not like the high amount of Greek used in the Chapel.

HC has ample married student housing, I have some GOA friends already enrolled there, and my wife is an RN--there's a ton of hospitals within two miles of the seminary.

Married student housing is a problem at St. Vladimir's, although currently everyone who needs it has it.  I got a very nice apartment here last year.

After visiting HC a few months back, I think it's a very good fit. I found the campus to be very welcoming and made a number of friends right off the bat.

I think that is great and I wish you the best!

Bp BASIL told me that two other men from the SW Region are starting seminary this fall--one other joining me at HC and the other going to St. Tikhon's. Guess the other regions will have to make up the enrollment at St. Vlad's :)

St. Vlad's has one of the highest enrollments ever this coming year, so there's no problem!  :D

In Christ,

anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2003, 08:40:36 AM »
St. Vladimir's is not a Slavic Seminary; it is an Orthodox Seminary, period.  There is no trace of Slavic Orthodoxy here; sure we use mostly Russian music (in English 100%) but there is also a substantial amount of Byzantine music done; hardly any of the professors are Slavs anymore; the Dean is a Swedish American; there are Antiochian, Serbian, Greek, Japanese, etc. students, etc etc.

Well, the nearly all Russian music and the highback chasubles made it seem pretty familiar and Slavic to me but point taken. Even though many Orthodox hold that the OCA is still the American metropolia of the Moscow Patriarchate, St Vladimir's isn't really Russian Orthodox anymore; it's an American Orthodox institution of noticeably Russian heritage by way of the Paris (Institut St-Serge) school of thought.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2003, 11:18:59 AM »
Did Saidna Basil recommend HC?

Is 'Saidna' Arabic for Bishop?  I keep seeing that word in Antiochian circles.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 11:22:32 AM by Elisha »

Offline ania

• Life according to Abe Simpson:
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2003, 11:48:42 AM »
Honestly, I don't yet know God's will in this matter. If He wants me to become a priest, then I say "amen." If it is not His will, then I wouldn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.
Linus,
My dad was a protodeacon for 28 years before he took on the priesthood.  He'd thought about it on & off for many years, & had been offered several parishes since his ordination to the deaconate.  What pushed him over was the following...
In Russia there was an old priest, Fr. Nikolaj, who people say was clearvoyant.  To meet with him it was very difficult for people because he lived on an island and was very old.  My parents by pure luck became acquainted with the brother of the priest who gave Fr. Nikolaj weekly Communion, and he arranged for them to meet him.  Upon them entering his little cabin, and receiving blessings, Fr. Nikolaj turns to my dad & says, "Your father has been dead for some time, Upokoy Gospodi Dushu Raba Nikolaja Aleksandrovicha."  Not only had my dad said nothing previous about his father, Fr. Nikolaj called his father by his name & patronimic.  Then he turned to my mother, who was wearing earrings that I had bought her, and said, "those are a wonderful gift your daughter gave you, don't loose them."  Later, during tea, with no priliminaries, Fr. Nikolaj looked to my dad and said "I bless you to become a priest, just don't put it off too long."  It had been a question my father had been debating more and more, but had yet to have voiced it to anyone other than my mother.  A year & 1/2 later, Metropolite Lavr finally gave my father his consent, and my father became a priest.  Though he loved being a deacon, and was very aprihensive, now he's very happy that he did it, and now regrets that he didn't do it earlier.  So you see, sometimes God sends a sign like that, if you want it bad enough, even if you don't realize at the time that you want it.
Hope this helps, though it's a bit off-topic.
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Hypo-Ortho

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2003, 12:26:35 PM »
Did Saidna Basil recommend HC?

Is 'Saidna' Arabic for Bishop?  I keep seeing that word in Antiochian circles.

AFAIK, Elisha, it's the same term of endearment for a bishop as "Vladyka" ("Master") is in the Slav tongues.

Hypo-Ortho

Hypo-Ortho

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2003, 12:46:26 PM »
Beautiful story about your father, Ania.

When I was a Uniate a similar thing happened to me in my wife's presence before I solidified thoughts of going to a Diaconate Preparation Program in seminary--something I actually ended up doing after this priest "out of the blue" stated aloud what I had been thinking!

However, when I "adjusted" to Holy Orthodoxy, I felt totally unworthy and undeserving of Holy Orders and never pursued ordination.  In my own case, I have some regrets; however, I am an active layman (choir member, parish chairman for charity and outreach) and still think I made the right decision.

Hypo-Ortho

Offline Raouf

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2003, 01:16:36 PM »
Dear Ania,

Thank you for that wonderful account! I have often thought about how nice it would be when struggling to discern God's will in my life to be able to simply find a clairvoyant elder and have him tell me what to do!

In Christ,
Raouf
Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2003, 12:02:37 AM »
Linus,
My dad was a protodeacon for 28 years before he took on the priesthood.  He'd thought about it on & off for many years, & had been offered several parishes since his ordination to the deaconate.  What pushed him over was the following...
In Russia there was an old priest, Fr. Nikolaj, who people say was clearvoyant.  To meet with him it was very difficult for people because he lived on an island and was very old.  My parents by pure luck became acquainted with the brother of the priest who gave Fr. Nikolaj weekly Communion, and he arranged for them to meet him.  Upon them entering his little cabin, and receiving blessings, Fr. Nikolaj turns to my dad & says, "Your father has been dead for some time, Upokoy Gospodi Dushu Raba Nikolaja Aleksandrovicha."  Not only had my dad said nothing previous about his father, Fr. Nikolaj called his father by his name & patronimic.  Then he turned to my mother, who was wearing earrings that I had bought her, and said, "those are a wonderful gift your daughter gave you, don't loose them."  Later, during tea, with no priliminaries, Fr. Nikolaj looked to my dad and said "I bless you to become a priest, just don't put it off too long."  It had been a question my father had been debating more and more, but had yet to have voiced it to anyone other than my mother.  A year & 1/2 later, Metropolite Lavr finally gave my father his consent, and my father became a priest.  Though he loved being a deacon, and was very aprihensive, now he's very happy that he did it, and now regrets that he didn't do it earlier.  So you see, sometimes God sends a sign like that, if you want it bad enough, even if you don't realize at the time that you want it.
Hope this helps, though it's a bit off-topic.  

Thank you, Ania. I appreciate what you wrote, especially since (as you know)  I have a daughter named Anna (pronounced "Ania").

One of the ways and reasons I converted to Orthodoxy is because of the example of a very holy Orthodox priest I met in Moscow, Fr. Aleksandr.

I pray that God will speak to me as clearly as He did to your Father; whether the message is positive or negative, I want to be right about the course I take.

-í-ƒ-É-í-ÿ-æ-P
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline QuoVadis

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2003, 01:18:59 AM »
Hello from Australia!  I think having a seminary / theological board would be very useful.  I myself attended a Bible College in the USA for two years before I became an Orthodox Christian last year (2002).  I am very interested in Church and Theology, so would be glad to see what eventuates from this!

Joy in the Resurrected Christ!
Katherine
"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov

Offline TonyS

• High Elder
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2003, 11:25:05 AM »
All is well here.  Classes start on Sept 4th as well.

I'll see you when yo

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2003, 01:15:35 PM »
I am on vacation in NC right now and am looking forward to returning to classes at SVOTS asap!

anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Offline Athanasius

• Place Personal Text Here
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2003, 04:27:35 AM »
I'm planning on attending in a year. Probably Holy Cross.

Athanasius
God became man that man might become God-St. Athanasius

Offline Ksenia

• Kiss Babich Homepage
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2003, 09:06:53 PM »
Well, after spending the last 8 weeks holed up in upstate NY at St. Andrew's Camp, I am back on the board.  I will be moving to St. Vlad's next week on the 2nd (I can't wait to start, but am having serious financial issues).  Welcome back to student life, I guess!