OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 10:21:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sources for OO history after Chalcedon  (Read 1083 times) Average Rating: 0
JawaMan
Bishop of All Tatooine

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

n00b

« on: January 16, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

Hi everyone. While I still haven't gotten Fr. Samuel's book on Chalcedon (I asked for it for Christmas and didn't get it to my dismay Sad), I would like to know the theological situation that took place after Chalcedon. For example, how did the OO deal with the Henoticon? Were there still genuine monophysites after Chalcedon or just miaphysites? How did the OO react to monothelitism and was their reaction to it different than how the genuine monophysites reacted to it, if they still existed? Was the OO split up into many factions (as I've read elsewhere)? What are the events surrounding Bishop Jacob and his ordination rampage? These are all questions I wonder about a lot, especially relations between the EO and OO as time went on. Are there any books where I can get answers to these questions?

The ideal of what I'm looking for is a Jaroslav Pelikan imitation of OO history. Too bad he didn't focus on them too much!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »

Actually, the best source for all those questions would be Fr. Samuel's book.  Save up for it.  It's worth it.   Smiley

JawaMan
Bishop of All Tatooine

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

n00b

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »

Awesome! I was wondering if it actually went beyond Chalcedon. I find the council to be one of the pivotal issues but of course I have wanted to know much more. Now I'm happier than a 4th Crusader with Byzantine gold!
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:23:13 PM »

Check Amazon

The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined (Hardcover)
by V. C. Samuel (Author)

-Paul
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »

Awesome! I was wondering if it actually went beyond Chalcedon.

Yes, it describes the events leading up to Chalcedon, and goes into detail about its aftermath.  It's really the most thorough treatment of the subject I have ever encountered.

Tags: Chalcedon 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: