OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Bishops Speak on Their Vision for Orthodox Media Outreach  (Read 1173 times) Average Rating: 0
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« on: January 15, 2008, 05:58:10 PM »

"I would like to see Share the Light Sunday reach out, and, in the future, [for Come Receive the Light] to be heard throughout the United States," His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios of Boston said during Sunday's live Web TV program hosted by the Orthodox Christian Network.

Screen shot from the program

"I know that a tremendous effort has been made these last few years to reach the greater American public in many of the major cities of the country. I'd like to see it reach every corner of the United States — not only once a week, but why not every day? There are other denominations that have radio and television programming on a daily basis. Why not Orthodoxy?"

You can watch the rest of this interview, and hear from three other Orthodox Hierarchs, by watching Sunday's Webcast on www.MyOCN.net.

For example, His Grace Bishop Joseph, Hierarch of the Diocese of Los Angeles and the West of the Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, spoke about the spiritual need for media-based Orthodox evangelism.

"We are not immigrants to this country, but we are missionaries," His Grace Bishop Joseph said. "We must bring the ancient Faith to the New World. To do this, we must use any media resources at our disposal, and OCN is a vital tool for this Christian-commanded work of the Church."

Screen shot from the program

"We must use media to our advantage," His Grace continued, "just as the heretics have been doing for a long time. Our spiritual work begins with prayer, and blossoms forth into preaching. We must preach where the people are, where they can find our Gospel message. This is the good work of OCN, which we should all support. I encourage all the Orthodox parishes throughout the nation, every home, every thirsty individual for the Truth of the Gospel, to support and listen to the OCN."

Other special guests on the program included Archbishop Demetrios, Metropolitan Herman, Fr. Demetrios Tonias and Dr. George Mekras.

Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to hear from these special guests & others about the growth of Orthodox media outreach in this country, and to find out how your parish can be a part of this missionary effort during "Share the Light" Sunday on or near to January 20, 2008.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »

It looks like +BENJAMIN or +METHODIOS have taken a cue from one or the other with the smile.  Nice to see!

Thanks for posting this.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »

LoL. True enough. Metropolitan Gerasimos' picture also has him smiling. Must be something about the West!

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »

Must be something about the West!
Sure thing!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: