OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:09:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “Similar-Diversity” A recent study reduces all religions to logic  (Read 1234 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: January 14, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »

This project used computer technology to scan the “five Holy Books of World religions” (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism).  Via a technique called “datavisualization,” mathematical calculations were used to visually chart the supposed “connections” between them all.

The main thing that struck me about this project is how people in this modern age can so easily accept the notion that you can reduce religion to mere logic alone.  This is just symptomatic of these godless times where human logic and rationale have become the ultimate criterion of all things… thus seating humanity alone on the throne of worship.  Lord have mercy… at least the pagans of antiquity knew enough to worship something beyond themselves. 

I’d like to hear other’s reactions.

Here’s the link:
http://similardiversity.net/
(most of the info is in the “Details” section)

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:55:11 AM »

Brother personally I believe that there is much Truth in religions before Christ came because to every person God was unknown and unreachable and in all these religions they tried to reach God and made prophecies of the one that would come and make the connection. Even in religions were they see God as impersonal they believed someone would come and bridge the gap and there are some explicit verses in the Hindu Holy scripture (Baghad Vita I think its called) about a man named Jesus.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:59:44 AM »

Brother personally I believe that there is much Truth in religions before Christ came because to every person God was unknown and unreachable…

Brother, I was a Comparative Religions major for years (I ended up changing majors after coming Home to Orthodoxy).  Believe me, I know where you are coming from.  Yes, people have always been looking for the Truth, even before He was Incarnate.  Christ is truly the fulfillment of all generations.

However, I believe you have missed the main point of my post.  The particular factor of this project that I was trying to emphasize is not the simple “comparison of religions”… but rather the specific method in which they were making this comparison.  This project had nothing to do with actual theological/spiritual comparison of different belief systems… all they did is feed raw text data into computers to cross-reference letters, words, and phrases.  Thus, they are using mere logic and rationale alone (basically 1’s and 0’s) to try and “decipher” spirituality.  In the process they end up propagating none other than the glorification of (fallen) human logic over every and all other notions of deity. 

This project isn’t some random fluke, it is a prime example of contemporary society’s view of how true wisdom can be achieved:
human evolution via our own darkened logic instead of
Divine Revelation via God’s enlightening grace.

Lord have mercy

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:32:37 AM »

This project used computer technology to scan the “five Holy Books of World religions” (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism).  Via a technique called “datavisualization,” mathematical calculations were used to visually chart the supposed “connections” between them all.

The main thing that struck me about this project is how people in this modern age can so easily accept the notion that you can reduce religion to mere logic alone.  This is just symptomatic of these godless times where human logic and rationale have become the ultimate criterion of all things… thus seating humanity alone on the throne of worship.  Lord have mercy… at least the pagans of antiquity knew enough to worship something beyond themselves. 

I’d like to hear other’s reactions.

Here’s the link:
http://similardiversity.net/
(most of the info is in the “Details” section)

Sorry Brother I now understand your point. People who do not understand the differences (no matter how subtle they may be) should not comment or create abominations like this. Purely making some connection due to the amount of word similarities is the stupidest way I have ever seen someone try to create some form of ecumenism (regardless of if that was there point).

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:52:49 AM »

Hello,

However, I believe you have missed the main point of my post.  The particular factor of this project that I was trying to emphasize is not the simple “comparison of religions”… but rather the specific method in which they were making this comparison.  This project had nothing to do with actual theological/spiritual comparison of different belief systems… all they did is feed raw text data into computers to cross-reference letters, words, and phrases.  Thus, they are using mere logic and rationale alone (basically 1’s and 0’s) to try and “decipher” spirituality.  In the process they end up propagating none other than the glorification of (fallen) human logic over every and all other notions of deity.

This reminds me of the so-called Bible codes. You know the ones - there's a special algorithm that can be used on the Bible and it comes out with all sorts of dooms day prophecies. Funny thing is that you can do the same with any text - they took a phone book and found out when Jesus' second coming was.  Roll Eyes

The problem is not the use (or I should say the overuse and abuse) of logic, but the fact that their basic tenet and unalterable static constant is "no religion is true - there is no God therefore all religion is mere myth and legend".

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »

Purely making some connection due to the amount of word similarities is the stupidest way I have ever seen someone try to create some form of ecumenism (regardless of if that was there point).

Sadly, I believe ecumenism (of sorts) was their point.  Of course, this project is more symptomatic of secular ecumenism (which is unfortunately becoming the most popular kind).

Thanks for your thoughts, Prodromas.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »

This reminds me of the so-called Bible codes. You know the ones...

Ah, yes, all-too-well.

The problem is not the use (or I should say the overuse and abuse) of logic, but the fact that their basic tenet and unalterable static constant is "no religion is true - there is no God therefore all religion is mere myth and legend."

Yes, I agree that logic in-and-of-itself is not the issue/problem... but rather treating logic as the ultimate criterion of all things.  There's nothing wrong with logic, it is a God-given gift that is an inseparable part of our being.  You are quite right: the problem with contemporary culture is that instead of keeping logic in submission to the Holy Spirit, logic is rather treated as the "ultimate god" (which, as you stated, actually translates as: "there is no God therefore all religion is mere myth and legend").

The more I study ancient paganism the more contemporary culture looks all-the-more fallen. 
As I said before:
"at least the pagans of antiquity knew enough to worship something beyond themselves."

Today, the masses blatantly worship selfish desire, materialism, (fallen) human rationale... and yet the term "worship" is becoming a taboo 4-letter-word.
Lord have mercy on us in these perilous times.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

cholmes

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »

Hello,

This reminds me of the so-called Bible codes. You know the ones - there's a special algorithm that can be used on the Bible and it comes out with all sorts of dooms day prophecies. Funny thing is that you can do the same with any text - they took a phone book and found out when Jesus' second coming was.  Roll Eyes

I was just about to mention the Bible code myself.   Grin

All these attempts to explain or examine faith using mathematics, statistics, or logic make for interesting debate but usually add nothing of real value.

Tags: religion  logic  humanity  Art  technology  science  god 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: