OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:36:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mushroom Jesus?  (Read 2873 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: January 13, 2008, 08:15:15 PM »

I was surfing you tube and found a series of videos by a certain mushroom jesus.  Judging from the videos, he once was Orthodox, even a novice monk, but that he ended up rejecting Christianity.  Watching his videos are very hard.  There's so much evil in his eyes.  Almost as if he is possessed. 

I just can't see how he could have been accepted into a monastery in the first place. Sad
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:15:43 PM by StGeorge » Logged
RPConover

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »

Wow, I just watched that guy. He's like a disturbed young man with ADD. Probably nothing a few years of intense psychotherapy and laying off the 'shrooms wouldn't help though.  Undecided
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »

I was surfing you tube and found a series of videos by a certain mushroom jesus.  Judging from the videos, he once was Orthodox, even a novice monk, but that he ended up rejecting Christianity.  Watching his videos are very hard.  There's so much evil in his eyes.  Almost as if he is possessed. 

I just can't see how he could have been accepted into a monastery in the first place. Sad

IS there a link we can watch it also .......stashko......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »

Yup, thanks to self-righteous rants like that he has seen most of Christianity for the hypocrisy that it is. 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:40:49 AM »

From what I was able to discern from his 'shroom induced psychobabbling, it sounded as if he gave in to what St. John Klimakos calls 'cunningness'; in other words this young man trusted his own thoughts rather than listen to his elder.  I could be wrong, yet his latest vids are basically all tributes to this or that drug that he happens to be on that day.  It's all been done a million times before...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:49:08 AM »

Yup, thanks to self-righteous rants like that he has seen most of Christianity for the hypocrisy that it is.

Maybe you are misinformed..... Roll Eyes

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 01:25:15 AM »

Excuse me hello am i invisible here ...please somebody post a link to the video.....thank you stashko..........SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »

^^I don't have the exact link, but if you'll go to youtube.com and type in 'mushroom jesus' you'll find all of them.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:03:47 AM »

^^I don't have the exact link, but if you'll go to youtube.com and type in 'mushroom jesus' you'll find all of them.  Smiley

Thank you very much .....stashko.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:41:24 AM »

No thanks.
I make it a rule to ignore anyone who uses a blasphemous name to get attention.
And anyway, wallowing in mud is not the best way of getting clean.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 02:52:22 AM »

No thanks.
I make it a rule to ignore anyone who uses a blasphemous name to get attention.
And anyway, wallowing in mud is not the best way of getting clean.

Brother i didn't know it was blasphemous now i definitely i won't watch it ........thank you.......stashko.................SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 03:07:35 AM »

Maybe you are misinformed..... Roll Eyes

The vast majority of people that I know that are former Christians turned into rabid anti-Christians have no real rejection of the dogmas of Christianity per se, rather they have been turned off by Christians themselves.  They haven't experienced a Christianity that is actually loving, forgiving, non-judgmental or that really bears any resemblance to that which was preached by Christ during His Sermon on the Mount.  And instead of asking ourselves as Christians where we have failed we react to such people by condemning them. 
RPConover

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 03:24:18 AM »

The vast majority of people that I know that are former Christians turned into rabid anti-Christians have no real rejection of the dogmas of Christianity per se, rather they have been turned off by Christians themselves.  They haven't experienced a Christianity that is actually loving, forgiving, non-judgmental or that really bears any resemblance to that which was preached by Christ during His Sermon on the Mount.  And instead of asking ourselves as Christians where we have failed we react to such people by condemning them. 

Amen.
RPConover

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 03:29:48 AM »

Apparently the poor guy went from fully bodily-able to being paralyzed from the waist down somehow. I can't imagine the effect that sort of thing must have on anyone's mind, and especially someone who at one time was ready to die to the world and become a monk on top of whatever else he might have been through. He seems more than a bit disillusioned. Lord have mercy.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

But those people, whether a few or most, lack patience do they not? If I based my faith on the amount of true christians vs false christians I have met in my lifetime, I would definitly reject Christianity. You also can't just wait for the good of Christ to come to you, you have to go search for it yourself. Aslong as you have over a billion adherents to Christ, you cant really expect all of them to be the way they should be.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

And forgiving the not-so-nice Christians out there helps keep one from becoming bitter and overgeneralizing. It's like, I left Christianity for Paganism because of the horrible way I was treated in my RC schools, but I instantly left when I realized, "It's not Jesus that has mistreated me, only his followers". Yet, if I were to not make an example of myself for my abusers as Christ wants me to be, I am no different than the not-so-nice Christians.
Hey, "the only way for evil to triumph is more good men to do nothing". If we want Christians to seem more loving and faithful to the Gospels, we must be teachers for each other. So, what's the point of being "rabid anti-Christian"? Yes, I know I sound 60's Woodstock... Cheesy

Myrrh23 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 05:03:30 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »

I didn't see him as very "possessed" or with glaring hatred in his language. Just another very confused and drug addicted youth. My high school is littered with them.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 12:05:13 AM »

Very true, Nektarios. I have seen it time and time again.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 12:09:56 AM »

Apparently the poor guy went from fully bodily-able to being paralyzed from the waist down somehow. I can't imagine the effect that sort of thing must have on anyone's mind, and especially someone who at one time was ready to die to the world and become a monk on top of whatever else he might have been through. He seems more than a bit disillusioned. Lord have mercy.

Amen.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 12:15:25 AM »

Condemning him?  Don't you think that's a little strong? 

You said that the people usually don't reject christianity per se, but then you say that they havn't experienced christianity...yet your underlying premise is that CHRISTIANS (people) are the root problem. 

Doesn't really make too much sense to me brother...sorry...maybe i'm totally missing something (probably...)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 12:27:04 PM »

You said that the people usually don't reject christianity per se, but then you say that they havn't experienced christianity...yet your underlying premise is that CHRISTIANS (people) are the root problem. 

Doesn't really make too much sense to me brother...sorry...maybe i'm totally missing something (probably...)

Suppose a group of environmentalist approached you and tried to convince you that you should live an environmentally friendly life - practically and ascetic feat with smaller living quarters, only public transportation, reduced meat consumption, almost no consumer goods etc.  But you notice that all of these people telling you this drive big SUVs, live in mansions, live lavish lives etc.  If I were in that position, I would likely laugh them off and not give it a second thought.  Very few people would take the time to deliberate on the message and its merit irrespective of its messengers.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »

Suppose a group of environmentalist approached you and tried to convince you that you should live an environmentally friendly life - practically and ascetic feat with smaller living quarters, only public transportation, reduced meat consumption, almost no consumer goods etc.  But you notice that all of these people telling you this drive big SUVs, live in mansions, live lavish lives etc.  If I were in that position, I would likely laugh them off and not give it a second thought.  Very few people would take the time to deliberate on the message and its merit irrespective of its messengers.

Ok so lets say I agree with you...

I'm still having a tough time making the connection in the statement I quoted above.  According to your argumentation, christianity itself is the problem, and yet your main point is that CHRISTIANS are the problem.  which one is it? 

Like I said...maybe I missed something...but your argument is what made me miss a step.  Not trying to be nit-picky, just trying to understand your point. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »

Ok so lets say I agree with you...

I'm still having a tough time making the connection in the statement I quoted above.  According to your argumentation, christianity itself is the problem, and yet your main point is that CHRISTIANS are the problem.  which one is it? 

Like I said...maybe I missed something...but your argument is what made me miss a step.  Not trying to be nit-picky, just trying to understand your point. 

I think that is more or less what I already wrote:
"
The vast majority of people that I know that are former Christians turned into rabid anti-Christians have no real rejection of the dogmas of Christianity per se, rather they have been turned off by Christians themselves.  They haven't experienced a Christianity that is actually loving, forgiving, non-judgmental or that really bears any resemblance to that which was preached by Christ during His Sermon on the Mount.  And instead of asking ourselves as Christians where we have failed we react to such people by condemning them. "

I'm not entirely sure with what you are disagreeing. 
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 10:55:06 PM »

^Sounds more like the problems that plague protestantism.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »

I think that is more or less what I already wrote:
"
The vast majority of people that I know that are former Christians turned into rabid anti-Christians have no real rejection of the dogmas of Christianity per se, rather they have been turned off by Christians themselves. They haven't experienced a Christianity that is actually loving, forgiving, non-judgmental or that really bears any resemblance to that which was preached by Christ during His Sermon on the Mount.  And instead of asking ourselves as Christians where we have failed we react to such people by condemning them. "

I'm not entirely sure with what you are disagreeing. 

Just wanted to start off by saying that it's been a slow week for me and that i've had a lot of issues with figuring things out lately, so please forgive my dullness with all this. 

The vast majority of people that I know that are former Christians turned into rabid anti-Christians have no real rejection of the dogmas of Christianity per se, rather they have been turned off by Christians themselves.

vs.
They haven't experienced a Christianity that is actually loving, forgiving, non-judgmental...

I guess my question boils down to the age-old one.  If there are no problems with the theology then there should be no problems with the people...right? 

Some would say that it is through the people that the theology is manifest.  Does not christ stand on his own at some point though?  Salvation will be offered to us whether or not every person on the planet is a shmuck.  So...if that situation were to happen does that completely discredit christianity itself? 

Plus, also, you used personal experience which is usually not a good tool for argumentation.  My personal experience could have been the complete opposite, so where does that leave us? 

Just some further clarifications...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »

I guess my question boils down to the age-old one.  If there are no problems with the theology then there should be no problems with the people...right?

I wouldn't say it such a black and white way, but in general a sound theological system ought to result in it adherents increasing in virtue.  I think think there is anything that novel in saying that since we are called to be doers of the word rather than mere hearers. 

Some would say that it is through the people that the theology is manifest.  Does not christ stand on his own at some point though?  Salvation will be offered to us whether or not every person on the planet is a shmuck.  So...if that situation were to happen does that completely discredit christianity itself?

I don't think I'd go so far as to say Christianity discredits itself entirely in such a situation, but it definitely isn't good for missionary work. 

Plus, also, you used personal experience which is usually not a good tool for argumentation.  My personal experience could have been the complete opposite, so where does that leave us? 

I agree in general, but personal experiences can be useful in looking at perceptions.  The other night I was watching PBS and there was apparently the "leading" Hispanic evangelical pastor on.  I was about to turn it off, but decided to keep the background noise on while I did some studying.  I ended up being pleasantly surprised.  He had a very positive message; he talked about how Christianity is neither conservative nor liberal.  He said that his flock is concerned about a wide range of issues from the humanitarian crisis in Darfur to poverty in the US.   I think that such a message does far more to spread Christianity than Christian church leaders talking about 9/11 being caused by gays or calling for the assassination of Hugo Chavez. 
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 03:04:51 PM »

Good point!

This goes especially for us "I am in the true Church" Orthodox

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »

I wouldn't say it such a black and white way, but in general a sound theological system ought to result in it adherents increasing in virtue.  I think think there is anything that novel in saying that since we are called to be doers of the word rather than mere hearers. 

I don't think I'd go so far as to say Christianity discredits itself entirely in such a situation, but it definitely isn't good for missionary work. 

I agree in general, but personal experiences can be useful in looking at perceptions.  The other night I was watching PBS and there was apparently the "leading" Hispanic evangelical pastor on.  I was about to turn it off, but decided to keep the background noise on while I did some studying.  I ended up being pleasantly surprised.  He had a very positive message; he talked about how Christianity is neither conservative nor liberal.  He said that his flock is concerned about a wide range of issues from the humanitarian crisis in Darfur to poverty in the US.   I think that such a message does far more to spread Christianity than Christian church leaders talking about 9/11 being caused by gays or calling for the assassination of Hugo Chavez. 

Per our PM conversation, I will only say this:

We always talk about how "we are not perfect" and etc. but I totally agree with you that most christians (generalities are always so bad) need a kick in the butt and wake up in their faith and what they are doing to reflect the name they have taken on (christian). 

So usually i'm the FIRST one to be kicking butts about this kind of stuff.  It just gets me when people put all the blame on christians for not living up to their faith.  Spend some time being a christian, truly living by the commandments.  It takes your whole life to attain holiness, or to realize that the burden is "light" and etc.  It doesn't come easy. 

So maybe people should have more compassion, listen to the message, and accept the salvation that is Christ our Lord.  I know i've missed a lot of steps here, but our PM's have taken care of the rest. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »

To clear this up so it makes sense to those reading the threads, because of the general way in which I wrote Serb1389 thought I was going on another convert rant about how cradle Orthodox aren't good enough Orthodox - which is definitely not the case.  I had in mind some fire and brimstone style non-Orthodox groups and some Orthodox groups that act in a similar manner.  Since "Mushroom Jesus" has in his youtube profile that he was part of one of these groups, that was why I speculated that he got burned out from it.  From my own dealings with these groups, I don't think their underlying message is one of Christian charity, and if that is one's experience with Christianity it is easy to understand why one would eventually reject it.  The reason why I initially reacted the way I did in this thread, is that strongly negative responses are playing directly into their misconceived ideas of Christianity. 
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »

To clear this up so it makes sense to those reading the threads, because of the general way in which I wrote Serb1389 thought I was going on another convert rant about how cradle Orthodox aren't good enough Orthodox - which is definitely not the case.  I had in mind some fire and brimstone style non-Orthodox groups and some Orthodox groups that act in a similar manner.  Since "Mushroom Jesus" has in his youtube profile that he was part of one of these groups, that was why I speculated that he got burned out from it.  From my own dealings with these groups, I don't think their underlying message is one of Christian charity, and if that is one's experience with Christianity it is easy to understand why one would eventually reject it.  The reason why I initially reacted the way I did in this thread, is that strongly negative responses are playing directly into their misconceived ideas of Christianity. 

Nice summary. 

I pray that this man gets the help he needs, both from God and from professionals who can help him. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: