OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 08:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regaining Faith  (Read 1384 times) Average Rating: 0
leapers

« on: January 13, 2008, 07:32:31 PM »

I am new to the forum, so I hope I am posting in the right place!

First let me state this: Growing up,  I was taught (my my parents) to believe that there is only one religion and and the others are evil.

About four years ago, a series of tragic events ( three relatives I was very close with passed away & I lost my job due to health reasons) occurred. These series of events shook my faith and beliefs to the point where I didn't know what to believe in anymore (I felt like every thing I had previously believed in was a lie.), so I stopped believing in everything.

Fast forward to late last year.
I became friends with someone who is steadfast in his faith & beliefs (Eastern Orthodox). We had conversation one night where he was describing his religion to me. It warmed me to the core, to the point where I was in tears. This conversation ignited a spark in me and has lead me to reading more/researching more to see if it is the right path for me. This man will never know how much his friendship, kindness, patience, and that conversation means to me.

Please pray for me...that my inner strength does not waver (again) as I continue on this spiritual journey.

~Leapers~
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »

May the Lord guide you throughout your journey.   Smiley

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:42:24 PM »

Lord, keep Thy servant.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »

Lord, have mercy on thy servant.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »

Lord have mercy on your servant.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:54:08 PM »

Been there. I know quite well how you feel. My path brought me to Orthodoxy; perhaps yours will lead you there as well.

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 12:08:18 AM »

May the Lord bless you on this hard journey and guide you safely and strengthen your faith!

I will be praying for you.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 08:29:15 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »

Lord, have mercy...

I am in the same boat, sort of, except that I was not even taught any religion when I was little (grew up in the former USSR). I became a Christian as an adult, was baptized when I was already past 40, and then chrismated Orthodox (one year ago). But I am surreounded by many wonderful people who have no religious faith whatsoever, and they all are so better than I am, and they do so well in life, and they all argue with me about all this "religious nonsense," as they call it, and they always, inevitably, win all the arguments.

Right now, I do believe in God, in a supreme being, so to say, and I want to be saved, to live eternally in a changed, transformed world. But I feel like I have millions of doubts about any religious doctrine. That's why I stopped praying a couple of weeks ago; just cannot do it - it eats me up that I am just performing a hypocritical ritual.

Any spiritual  help would be greatly appreciated... or maybe time will do the healing, I don't know.

Love never fails.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »

Lord, have mercy...

I am in the same boat, sort of, except that I was not even taught any religion when I was little (grew up in the former USSR). I became a Christian as an adult, was baptized when I was already past 40, and then chrismated Orthodox (one year ago). But I am surreounded by many wonderful people who have no religious faith whatsoever, and they all are so better than I am, and they do so well in life, and they all argue with me about all this "religious nonsense," as they call it, and they always, inevitably, win all the arguments.

Right now, I do believe in God, in a supreme being, so to say, and I want to be saved, to live eternally in a changed, transformed world. But I feel like I have millions of doubts about any religious doctrine. That's why I stopped praying a couple of weeks ago; just cannot do it - it eats me up that I am just performing a hypocritical ritual.

Any spiritual  help would be greatly appreciated... or maybe time will do the healing, I don't know.

It seems that you already have faith Heorhij. Faith is nothing more than a hope that future events will come true.

Lord have mercy on Leapers and yourself.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:28:45 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: