OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 11:47:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice"  (Read 1170 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus

« on: June 12, 2003, 11:08:34 PM »

Hello all,

I expect that many here will find this noteworthy. Here's a link to information about Philip Jenkins' latest book: The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice.

I'm about halfway through the book and so far find nearly all of Professor Jenkins' arguments I've encountered within well made. I think that Orthodox can relate quite sympathetically to the treatment dished out to Catholics.  Professor Jenkins harps on the resurrection of elements of the anti-Catholicism of the Know-Nothings and the Ku Klux Klan in support of "Liberal" causes.

Peace,
Irenaeus
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 12:20:04 AM »

Looks good.

Have you read Karl Keating's Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians" (Ignatius Press, 1988)?

It is an excellent book. I recommend it.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Irenaeus

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 10:57:12 PM »

Hi Linus7,

Yes, I read Karl Keating's Catholicism & Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians" very close to when it first appeared in 1988. I was living in San Diego then, and not long after I heard Mr. Keating speak one weekday evening in the Hall of my parish - St. Therese of Lisieux. I even got to meet him and may have offended him mildly by inquiring whether he would address criticisms of Pope Pius XII in any subsequent editions. Anyway, later that night I sent Mr. Keating a letter with a cartoon by Paul Conrad of The Los Angeles Times taking a jab at Pius XII. A few days later I received a polite thank you from Mr. Keating.

Irenaeus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: