OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 09:14:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Unfolding Crisis in Kenya  (Read 975 times) Average Rating: 0
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« on: January 11, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »

You've probably seen the news about the recent bloodshed in Kenya. Several Orthodox priests, and many Orthodox Christians, have been displaced because of the violence. Their homes & businesses have been destroyed.

The Orthodox Church in Kenya, through the support of OCMC, is preparing to offer assistance to those who are in dire need. Find out more about the current situation, & how you can help on this week's Come Receive the Light:

And visit the OCMC site to give.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »

OCMC to Take Up Special Collection for Orthodox Christians Displaced by Violence in Kenya

Monday, January 14, 2008
Orthodox Christian Mission Center
P.O. Box 4319
St. Augustine, FL 32085-4319

Phone: (904) 829-5132
E-mail: communications@ocmc.org
Web: www.ocmc.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OCMC to Take Up Special Collection for Orthodox Christians Displaced by Violence in Kenya

Nairobi, Kenya - Hundreds of Kenyans have lost their lives, and hundreds of thousands more have lost their homes, as a result of the recent violence that erupted in the wake of contested presidential elections that were held in Kenya on December 27th.

Several Orthodox clergy and laity have seen all of their worldly possessions consumed by flames. According to His Eminence, Archbishop Makarios of Kenya, food is in short supply. The seminary in Nairobi is currently housing about 20 displaced families, and St. George Orthodox Church in Kibera is housing several more.

The Orthodox Christian Mission Center (OCMC) has had a long history in Kenya. The Mission Center is taking a special collection as a gesture of solidarity with its Orthodox brothers and sisters in this East African nation. The funds collected will be used to help displaced Orthodox families in Kenya to rebuild their homes and their lives.

All donations for this special collection should be made payable to the Orthodox Christian Mission Center with "Kenya Crisis Collection" clearly marked in the check's memo line. Gifts may be submitted to:

The Orthodox Christian Mission Center
Re: Kenya Crisis Collection
P.O. Box 4319
St. Augustine, FL 32085-4319

OCMC is a non-profit organization that has been commissioned by the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas (SCOBA) to proclaim the fullness of the Christian Faith by establishing and nurturing vibrant, Eucharistic communities, which evangelize those around them and minister to the poor.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Just Passing through

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ruthenian

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »

I have heard the OCMC really does a top-notch job of seeing that donations are spent wisely, and folks in the most need get attention as quickly as possible.

I certainly hope a lot of people take note of the needs of the Kenyan Orthodox and bring it to the attention of their pastors, why may - busy as they are - be unaware of the need and ensuing plea of this community. 

To aid this community and ask for "no more" than their prayers in return, could provide true blessing for even small parishes that could only afford a little.  Being generous with one's widow's mites for these folks in a very hard place would be, as well as this sinner can see, most God-pleasing.

Please disseminated this to your friends, e-mail lists, blogs, parish communities if you can.  The situation over there for some has been especially bad.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »

Donations to the OCMC Kenya Crisis Collection can be made online by going to their website http://www.ocmc.org/ and clicking the "Kenya Crisis Collection" Banner.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:11:00 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: OCMC Kenya 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: