OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:23:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO resources for other rites  (Read 1636 times) Average Rating: 0
Specs

« on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:24 AM »

The Internet has texts of the Divine Liturgies of the various Oriental Orthodox Churches. Is there anywhere where I can find other texts for other rites- baptism, ordinations, etc. ?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:17:32 AM »

In the Armenian Church, the book that has those services is called the "Mashdots."  I don't know of any on the internet, but one with an English translation can be bought at St. Vartan Bookstore:

http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4721

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »

In the Armenian Church, the book that has those services is called the "Mashdots."  I don't know of any on the internet, but one with an English translation can be bought at St. Vartan Bookstore:

http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4721

Is this the equvilant to the Book of Needs used in the EO Church? If so, does it contain a prayer for receiving those from the EO into the Armenian Church (the EO one has a section for the reception of Armenians)? Would be interesting to see what assumptions about theology are made in this prayer.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »

I don't know what the Book of Needs is.

Looking at the table of contents of the Mashdots I have at home, it has baptism and chrismation, services for engagement, marriage and second marriage, funeral and requiem services, various home blessings, healing services, "The Service of Hair Cutting of Adolescents," order of confession, and the blessing of the harvest.

There's nothing about a service for receiving EO's.  As it is, most Armenian priests will just give communion to EO's without any kind of conversion.  I think if an EO wanted to make a formal conversion, it would just be the chrismation service.  I know an EO who made a formal conversion to the Armenian Church, and I think it was done by chrismation.  I don't know if there was any specific modification done for his situation, like a special confession of faith or anything. 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:43:06 PM »

The Book of Needs contains all the special services that are only used every once in a while, like baptism, wedding, chrismation, exorcism, unction, etc.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »

Bilingual texts for the Ethiopian Orthodox rites of Baptism and Matrimony can be purchased here: http://www.eotcbooks.com/87.html

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »

I did not even know about this site.

Thanks!

I checked out various things there and it appears that the site is in alignment with the mother church in Ethiopia and rocognizes Pope Shenouda as well.

I do not know who set the site up (but I soon will) but for now this seems to be a good source.The books I looked at are all approved and published by HH Abuna Paulos Patriarch of Ethiopia.

Enjoy!

Peace

Fr Dcn Amde Tsion

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Tags: prayer Ethiopian Orthodox Church Armenian Church Oriental Orthodox prayers Agpeya 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: