OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:01:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes in progress for the rest of the site  (Read 1906 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: June 12, 2003, 09:14:01 PM »

Friends,

OC.NET version 2.0 has now debuted:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net

Please check it out and surf the secondary pages, too.

We are going to add links to the other pages on the forum via buttons (those that used to be there).

We are also going to make the front page more interactive with version 2.x.

What do you think of the color scheme?  We will probably be adding the red background to the side margins of the forum page and maybe having the very outermost table be the peach color, but otherwise we will keep the blue and white pattern.

Enjoy!

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 10:55:22 PM »

Nice looking site, although only 2 gentlemen are smiling, Mor & Nicholas appear to be hiding something............

What's up with the East Coast thing ?

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 10:59:28 PM »

Well I am holding a bottle of Vodka in that picture, but Philip, he has a bomb duct taped to his chest in that picture, so he was kind of unconfortable at the moment. Tongue

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 11:32:48 PM »

Now that is too radical, I thought they were articles for Sola Scripture Journal.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 11:44:00 PM »

East coast where it be at babY!!!

I'm working on a few projects myself, soon to come are some big board additions(been promising for awhile), some bug fixes, and some other new toys.

Bobby
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 12:04:01 AM »

Fix them bugs, I'm still itching.

james, from the Charles River in BOSTON, thats east coast ..........

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 03:14:48 AM »

Well - I have to say it - I like it.

It's classy !

Good on you all. :smiliedisco1: :clapper:

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 10:55:51 AM »

I'm puzzled by the double headed eagle.  Is it in ref to Russia or the Byzantine empire?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 10:58:23 AM »

Both. both Romes as Christian Empires used this symbol. Two heads, one for Church one for State and one claw holds a sword while another holds a cross.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 11:23:39 AM »

Both. both Romes as Christian Empires used this symbol. Two heads, one for Church one for State and one claw holds a sword while another holds a cross.
Although I have seen the explanation above before, I have also read that the Double-Headed Eagle was adopted by Emperorr Justinian in the sixth century when his General Bellisarion successfully recovered Rome, Italy, and much of the rest of the West from the Visigoths restoring one unified Empire (it had been broken in two earlier with two separate emporers). The two heads - one facing West toward Rome, the other East toward Constantinople- denoted the union. Other symbols included the cross for the Orthodox Church and the Sword for the Emperor. After the fall of Constantinople the Russian Tsar adopted the Byzantine Eagle to symbolize Russia as the "Third Rome".
An interesting aside comes from my ancestral area of Asia Minor -Trebizond- where a Greek (Orthodox) Empire continued after the fall of "the City" from 1453 to 1461. The Empire of Trebizond adopted a single headed eagle with the head facing west towards both Rome and Constantinople. The Pontic Greeks today still use this symbol.
History is great, isn't it!
Demetri
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 04:13:59 PM by Aristocles » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 02:31:47 PM »

Ebor,

To be honest I just stuck that image in for fun originally as a joke but...I liked it!

So the eagle stayed.  I tried to put in other icons but it looked to crowded, so in the end we settled on the eagle which is of course a reference to the Roman empire (Greeks never willingly used the term "Byzantine", it was an invention of the Western scholars...to the end the emperor retained the title "King of Constantinople New Rome and Emperor of the Romans.")

Now that we don't have a Christian Roman empire the symbol can be used to represent the Christian's spirtual and temporal mission.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 06:18:09 PM »

Man, how is it that Anastasios, the whitest white boy alive looks darker than me in those front page pictures? LOL!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: