Author Topic: Feeling Called to the Priesthood.  (Read 10241 times)

Offline RAR_PadrePio

• St. Raphael the Archangel
Feeling Called to the Priesthood.
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:16:33 AM »
I have felt a calling to the Priesthood for about 4-5 years. I have been in a constant state of discernment since then taking every opportunity to participate in any event that would aid me in the process of discernment. At some point in the past 4-5 years I came to accept that I feel called by God to the priesthood, and events that I would use to aid my discernment continue to occur, but now they only validate and confirm what I feel to be God's call to the Priesthood. Even though I strongly feel called to the priesthood I still believe myself to be in a state of discernment, constantly listening for God. I have yet to tell my own Parish Priest that I am interested in the Priesthood,those few I have told including other Priests I have talked to suggest that I talk to him about it, and I have decided that I am going to to talk to him about it when I meet with him this week. It is important that I do this soon, because I have about 2 or less years before I graduate from College and start looking into applying to seminary, and although I will still be attending the same Church after I graduate I would like to have his guidance for as long as I can. My question in all of this is that I do not know how to talk to him about it. I do not know the best way to bring it up and talk about it.
"Pray, pray to the Lord with me, because the whole world needs prayer. And every day, when your heart especially feels the loneliness of life, pray. Pray to the Lord Together."
— St. Pio de Pietrelcina

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Feeling Called to the Priesthood.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:44:43 AM »
Lord, help and guide your child who longs to serve you!

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:59:48 AM »
Reality check:

IIRC, it's been only a very short time since you were received into the Orthodox Church. Ask yourself: is it possible, given your short time in the faith (as a catechumen, and as a received Orthodox) for you to be able to discern as suitable for yourself such a monumental task? If you have not discussed this with your priest/confessor/spiritual father, then you MUST!
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:05:00 AM »
I have felt a calling to the Priesthood for about 4-5 years.... My question in all of this is that I do not know how to talk to him about it. I do not know the best way to bring it up and talk about it.
I'm not asking you to answer these questions publicly, but I hope you'll consider them carefully.

What are you doing now in your parish to serve? Have you been open and available to serve in whatever capacity your priest and others in leadership might ask? Why are you able to talk to others about your feeling of being called, but not to your own priest?

Be faithful in the little things, and opportunities for greater service will present themselves.

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:41:15 AM »
Just do exactly what you did here. "I feel called..." etc. Your priest will be able to help you discern, since he went through the same process himself.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »
From my experience, there are many who feel called, but few of them become priests, and fewer of these actually make good priests. A lot of time and patience and life experience is, I think, necessary today. I think you have a lot to gain--and to offer others--by finishing college and finding real world work before even thinking about seminary. You have more to consider than just priesthood, but also family life and Orthodoxy in general. New converts should not, in general, try to take on more than just being Orthodox for awhile after they convert. Not all priests, unfortunately, follow this line of thought, but a person needs time to adjust and adapt to Orthodoxy and the Orthodox worldview.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
From my experience, there are many who feel called, but few of them become priests, and fewer of these actually make good priests. A lot of time and patience and life experience is, I think, necessary today. I think you have a lot to gain--and to offer others--by finishing college and finding real world work before even thinking about seminary. You have more to consider than just priesthood, but also family life and Orthodoxy in general. New converts should not, in general, try to take on more than just being Orthodox for awhile after they convert. Not all priests, unfortunately, follow this line of thought, but a person needs time to adjust and adapt to Orthodoxy and the Orthodox worldview.

Absolutely.
A bishop I know advises those who think they are called to the priesthood to serve in their parishes in various capacities for several years. And to serve wherever there is a need, with humility and dedication. Then come and talk to him.
He doesn't have many takers.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
  • Faith: Muslim
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
I don't think you should have to point it out to your priest that you would like to be a priest. I think if you will be a priest will be evident from how you are living your life like genesisone said. I'd probably say your the most unlikely person to be one given that the only thing you talk about in your reasons is me me me.... i would get on with your life.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
I'd probably say your the most unlikely person to be one given that the only thing you talk about in your reasons is me me me.... i would get on with your life.

Poppy, that sounds awfully rude and pretentious.  Why would you immediately dissuade him from joining the priesthood?

RAR_PadrePio, I suggest you listen to your heart.  However, take your time.  You are very young yet and hopefully have many years to serve the Church. 

As others have stated, I hope you have been active in your current parish.  That would immediately show your interest and "pull" towards serving. 

I would never stop anyone from attending seminary.  It is during those studies that you will not only learn a lot about the Church, but, about yourself.  You will be able to discern if this is "for" you.  Besides your own studies, the priests/instructors and the bishop, himself, will be able to witness your dedication, zeal and enthusiasm.  Their experience will help them discern whether you are fit to be a member of the priesthood.

In the meantime, remember that if you wish to have a family you had better get married before joining the priesthood.  These are all things to be considered.

I hope you are always this excited and filled with a desire to serve!  We need more people who wish to "work" for the Church!

May God bless you, open your eyes and ears to His will, and always keep you "on track" (wherever that track leads).

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
Poppy, that sounds awfully rude and pretentious.  Why would you immediately dissuade him from joining the priesthood?

You think one opinion from some nom from England is going to put off a priests calling?? If it does then it was never a calling.

You might think its rude and pretentious but i think it's just being honest. If you post stuff then you have to take the opinions you get from all sides not just the ones you want to hear. Just because i don't speak in all flowery verbose words like you do it don't mean my opinion is any less valid.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:51:16 PM by Poppy »

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
You have 4-5 years before you're even eligible to become a deacon, and another 5 after that before you satisfy the age requirements for priesthood.

In other words, you have plenty of time to make your decision. Leave yourself open to the idea (i.e. don't do anything that would make it impossible in future), but other than that just focus on your own spiritual life and the other pieces will fall in place if God wills it.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »
Poppy, that sounds awfully rude and pretentious.  Why would you immediately dissuade him from joining the priesthood?

You think one opinion from some nom from England is going to put off a priests calling?? If it does then it was never a calling.

You might think its rude and pretentious but i think it's just being honest. If you post stuff then you have to take the opinions you get from all sides not just the ones you want to hear. Just because i don't speak in all flowery verbose words like you do it don't mean my opinion is any less valid.

Wow!  I didn't know that I spoke in flowery verbose words!  I take that as a compliment! Thanks, Poppy!

...and I never said that your opinion held no validity.  I just meant that you made a harsh judgment of him based on his one post.

Besides, my main point of concern was not that you are from England (I happen to think highly of the UK), but, that you are not Orthodox, and you are trying to dissuade someone from joining the Orthodox clergy.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »

Wow!  I didn't know that I spoke in flowery verbose words!  I take that as a compliment! Thanks, Poppy!

...and I never said that your opinion held no validity.  I just meant that you made a harsh judgment of him based on his one post.

Besides, my main point of concern was not that you are from England (I happen to think highly of the UK), but, that you are not Orthodox, and you are trying to dissuade someone from joining the Orthodox clergy.

Look lady. He posted a post that basically said. I feel like i should be a priest, these are my reasons, what do you all think??
I said not rudly but direct maybe. I don't think you should be, becuase your reasons suck.
It was a fair comment.

Ironically you feel that i had harsh judgement of one post from his and yet you post a harsh comment to me in judgement of my one post. Telling me in YOUR opinion that my comments are rude and pretentious is doing the same thing that you're disapproving of me doing to him!!

I bet your a mum. Mums do that allot.

I might not be Orthodox but you're not a priest so.... using your logic, your not qualified to give a opinion either to him.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »

My, my.  Take it easy.  No harm done.

You posted your opinion of him, and I simply stated that it was a bit harsh.

Maybe it's just my nature, but I tend to support people in their efforts.  If the young man feels he's being "called" than by all means he should explore it and give it a try.  He will know in time whether it's for him or not.  I simply would not tell someone to drop their dreams because I thought they didn't have it in them from having read one post from them.  That's all.

I am surprised by your reaction, however.  I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, only to give my support to the OP in his search.

Please forgive me if my words seemed to hit a sore spot with you.  That wasn't my intention.  :)

...I am not a mother, nor am I a priest....and I will never be either.

I wasn't picking a fight with you.  I wish you peace Poppy.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
No worries. We both said our bit. I shouldn't have said the mum comment, sorry. That was out of order.
Popps

Offline TheodoraElizabeth3

• Elder
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
RAR, I'd suggest you at least talk to your priest. And even the bishop the next time he visits your parish. It's always good to get to know your bishop more, even if nothing comes of your wanting to become a priest.

I don't know how long you've been Orthodox, but some bishops/diocese require you to have been been Orthodox for a specific amount of time before you can even *think* of applying to seminary.

Also, as the others have said, I hope you're active in your parish. If you're not doing anything, you need to start. Serving in the altar, singing in choir, serving as a reader, etc. As someone extremely active in my own parish, I'd strongly suggest doing as much as your schedule allows. If you *do* end up becoming a priest, knowing first hand how things are in different areas of parish life will be valuable to you.

And something else, very practical - take a look at your finances. How are you paying for your undergrad degree? I hope you're not going to be burdened with student loans. I know someone who was checking into seminary very recently. St. Tikhon's is $20K for three years for a single student and St. Vladimir's is $60K for three years. Lots of scholarships at STS, but you generally don't get anything through the seminary as a first year student. STS isn't part of the federal student loan program, but SVS is.

Priests don't make much money. So I pray you're not burdened with a lot of undergrad loans already.

Offline Dart

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »
Why the hurry to go to seminary? The median age of seminarians is 34 years old. In fact there is a Canon that a Priest should not be ordained before the age of 30 although Canons are broken all the time. Many Priests who attend seminary later in life refer to the life experience they gained as invaluable to relating to their parishioners.

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
ok three stories i read that mean you have to be careful when you want something.

God says to Baallam not to go with them and not to curse the people because they are totally blessed. Baallam says to the princes of Ballak "go back to your land for the Lord has refused to give me permission to go with you” but he really wants to go. so they send more gifts which he obviously wanted and loved. So he says “thou Ballak the king were to give me his house full of silver or gold I could not go beyond the word of the Lord my God and do less or more”. He doesn't want to disobay God so hes looking for a way to do what he wants without disobaying. He stalls MEGA!!! “Now therefore please you also stay here tonight that I might know what more the Lord will say to me.” haha.... HE ALREADY TOLD YOU!!!! lolOl but eventually God is like "GO!!!" so Ballam goes and now God is rli vexed that he went!!!

Israel says to Samuel  “we want a king”. Samuel says to God "they want a king" and God says to Samuel that if he gives them a king, the king would take their best land, sons, daughters and that HE is their king. Samuel goes to the people and is like "God doesn’t want you to have a king, he’s your king". The people are vexed and still want a king. Samuel goes back to God again and now they get their king. The king takes all their sons, daughters and land and took them into Babylon to be captive and also into judgement but they got what they wanted. God gave them a king.

The Israelites in the wilderness pretty hungry and they wanted meat because they were promised it. Totally vexed and impatient so, God does the quail miracle. So they ate the quail until they were full which is what they asked for but while the food was still in their mouth God went off like a volcano and slayed the best men in the land. They got what they wanted with a whole miracle as well but even before they were done eating Gods judgement slammed them.

The bible says that God promotes people and that other people will naturally see it if its in you. If you push it then God might allow you it, but it don't mean you should be doing it just because you want it so bad. God might turn around and sting you after if it's not what he wants.

Offline thefizzle656

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »
The bible says that God promotes people and that other people will naturally see it if its in you. If you push it then God might allow you it, but it don't mean you should be doing it just because you want it so bad. God might turn around and sting you after if it's not what he wants.

I don't think that someone speaking with their spiritual father about a possible vocation to the priesthood can be considered "pushing it".  If someone pursues it and finds that all of the doors are closed, ie no bishop wants to ordain him etc. and the person still insists upon that might be called pushing it but inquiring is certainly not.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 06:06:13 PM »
Ironically you feel that i had harsh judgement of one post from his and yet you post a harsh comment to me in judgement of my one post.

Well we found something that bridges the pond . . .

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
Why the hurry to go to seminary? The median age of seminarians is 34 years old. In fact there is a Canon that a Priest should not be ordained before the age of 30 although Canons are broken all the time. Many Priests who attend seminary later in life refer to the life experience they gained as invaluable to relating to their parishioners.

That is very interesting. Not that I doubt you, but where does this data come from? Just interested in looking at the numbers if possible.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
My apologies if this comes off as being overly rude, but no one else has touched on it.  You want to be an Orthodox priest, but you, quite noticeably, proclaim your continued devotion to St. (Padre) Pio?

I'm not trying to start a debate on the subject, but this is not indicative of (new convert or not) having a solid foundation in Orthodoxy.  I also don't mean to be entirely dismissive, as I believe the faith calls people to be far more than nominally interested laymen.  Still...
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »
My apologies if this comes off as being overly rude, but no one else has touched on it.  You want to be an Orthodox priest, but you, quite noticeably, proclaim your continued devotion to St. (Padre) Pio?

I'm not trying to start a debate on the subject, but this is not indicative of (new convert or not) having a solid foundation in Orthodoxy.  I also don't mean to be entirely dismissive, as I believe the faith calls people to be far more than nominally interested laymen.  Still...

Ditto

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
If I may note- RAR has made only four posts on the forum so far. I think he may have been busy after his chrismation and may simply not have gotten around to changing his forum emblem. Just a hunch.   ;)  I'm sure he can select one of our nice new icons once he posts a little more.  :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline RAR_PadrePio

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »
Reality check:

IIRC, it's been only a very short time since you were received into the Orthodox Church. Ask yourself: is it possible, given your short time in the faith (as a catechumen, and as a received Orthodox) for you to be able to discern as suitable for yourself such a monumental task? If you have not discussed this with your priest/confessor/spiritual father, then you MUST!

Yes, it is true that I have only just recently been received into the Orthodox Church and I absolutely agree that I need more time within the Faith. Just as a side note prior to being received into the Orthodox Church I had been going to an Orthodox Church and Orthodox related events for just about 2 years. As I said in my previous post I am going to meet with my Priest this week, because I want to talk to him about it and I would like his guidance/prayers/advice as I by the grace of God continue to discern.
"Pray, pray to the Lord with me, because the whole world needs prayer. And every day, when your heart especially feels the loneliness of life, pray. Pray to the Lord Together."
— St. Pio de Pietrelcina

Offline RAR_PadrePio

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »
I have felt a calling to the Priesthood for about 4-5 years.... My question in all of this is that I do not know how to talk to him about it. I do not know the best way to bring it up and talk about it.
I'm not asking you to answer these questions publicly, but I hope you'll consider them carefully.

What are you doing now in your parish to serve? Have you been open and available to serve in whatever capacity your priest and others in leadership might ask? Why are you able to talk to others about your feeling of being called, but not to your own priest?

Be faithful in the little things, and opportunities for greater service will present themselves.

I have no problem with answering your questions publicly. I have thought about some of these questions because they have been brought up to me before by my own priest.
Q: What are you doing now in your parish to serve?
A: As my priest suggested when I was inquiring and still yet to be made a Catechumen and after I was a Catechumen that I look for a way to serve in the Church Community, he later suggested that I join the Choir and that is what I am working on at the moment. I have already started to attend choir practices and will continue to attend them even after I begin to sing regularly in the choir.

Q:Have you been open and available to serve in whatever capacity your priest and others in leadership might ask?
R:Every time that I can think of when a Priest, other leadership, or other members of the church community has asked me to do something I have been willing and available to help.

Q:Why are you able to talk to others about your feeling of being called, but not to your own priest?
A: To me something like initially feeling that God is calling you is something personal so I do not mention it to many, but for some strange reason it is hard to keep that way as I will explain. One reason that I have found it easier to talk to others about it than my priest is that it is usually the other person that I am having a private conversation with that brings it up and points it out as they see how I live my life and the direction they see me going. I have even had another priest bring it up to me. So if someone asks me I will tell them the truth, I am not one to just start talking about it, I am not going to just go around saying that I feel called to the priesthood or that I should be a priest that is extremely prideful. Somehow I do not know how friends and others including members of the church and the one priest so far see something about me. I do not want to many people to know about it explicitly until later when ever is the right time for others to know. I do wish to talk to my priest about it , but until now did not think I should talk to him about it, on top of feeling maybe a bit intimidated, but now this no longer bothers me to much so I will go and speak to him again concerning my spiritual guidance and how I may serve the the Church and show interest and availability.
— St. Pio de Pietrelcina

Offline RAR_PadrePio

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »

Absolutely.
A bishop I know advises those who think they are called to the priesthood to serve in their parishes in various capacities for several years. And to serve wherever there is a need, with humility and dedication. Then come and talk to him.
He doesn't have many takers.

As I began to explain and meant to continue to elaborate on in my response post to genesisone and the post before that. I absolutely agree that I need to spend time in the Faith, and time in service to the Church. I understand that it is important for me to finish what I have been given now, such as finishing my education and searching for work. I am wishing to begin to show interest and to serve the Church where I am needed, so that I may have the guidance, prayers, and support of my priest as I continue the beginning of my service to the Church and move towards seminary and the priesthood when it is the appropriate time.
— St. Pio de Pietrelcina

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »
RAR< I'm in a similar situation. I'm also a young man who feels a calling to service in the church. Just serve in the altar and do some volunteer work.
Father will be happy to point you in the right direction. I was also told not to rush, and to look for a day job.
Hope this helps,
Ilya

Offline RAR_PadrePio

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
I don't think you should have to point it out to your priest that you would like to be a priest. I think if you will be a priest will be evident from how you are living your life like genesisone said. I'd probably say your the most unlikely person to be one given that the only thing you talk about in your reasons is me me me.... i would get on with your life.

Thank You for your opinion. I knew that upon writing the first post of this thread that I may be met with a response such as the one which you gave. When talking about topics of this nature especially on a forum with people who do not know you and may never meet it can be difficult to present this kind of topic in a way that does not make it seem like the decision in all about the person writing the post. I knew that somebody would try to dissuade me and maybe even point out that in my first post it appears that all I talk about is me me me..., because this decision is not about me me me although it may concern me. It is up to God what his will for my life is and how he wishes for me to serve him with my life. From my youth I have wanted to help and serve others, and I do this when and where I can, it just happens that I feel that God has called me to the priesthood, interestingly enough it is a place where I can be of help and service to others. Like I said earlier it is difficult to have this nature of a discussion over an online forum where you are limited to words, and your own perceptions of yourself, because it is difficult to present yourself entirely without writing a novel/autobiography even then the person is going to be misinterpreted, as with only words the reader can interpret it in many ways. What your response also teaches me is that on my journey I will face much opposition and difficulty from many different places, but I must not let them dissuade or discourage me, but that I must continue and by God's Grace and if it is God's Will for my life he will place me in the right places for me to serve him with what he has given me and then I may be given greater responsibility and maybe for God to place me on the path to the priesthood and eventually into the priesthood and continue guide me as I serve him where in he places me whether it is as a priest or not.
— St. Pio de Pietrelcina

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 10:19:40 PM »

I have no problem with answering your questions publicly. I have thought about some of these questions because they have been brought up to me before by my own priest.
Thank you for answering so well. It seems obvious to me that you have thought about these things carefully. Do indeed bring your priest into discussion with you. Let us know how it all goes.

Offline Dart

• High Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »

That is very interesting. Not that I doubt you, but where does this data come from? Just interested in looking at the numbers if possible.
The data comes from my spiritual father. But since you ask I Googled it for you and found this interview with the head of HCHC seminary Father Nick Triantafilou http://www.hchc.edu/hellenic/about/news/news_releases/interview_with_the_president.html
In which he states:
O.O: - Has the average age of seminarians risen over the past 10 years?

Fr. T: Yes.  We belong to the Association of Theological Schools of the United States and Canada, which awards us accreditation.  The average of the person attending these 264 schools is approximately 34 to 40.  Our average in the graduate school is approximately 30 to 32.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »
It is a wonderful thing to feel this calling. 

Remember that the job of a parish priest can really be 24/7/365(or 366 if leap year).   There are many times where you'll have to be absent from home to visit the sick....

Remember this....

They will turn to your leadership as their spiritual father. 

You will be next to women who just lost their husbands and are weeping on your shoulder uncontrollably trying to comfort, console, and pray with her, for her reposed husband...

You will be there on the first days babies are born or when people are sick.

You will be there for parents who just lost their child.

You will have to hear the unimaginable in confessions.

In my opinion being a priest is one of the most tough and rewarding jobs in the world.  If you go through St. Vladimir's in New York, they will follow the Canon age as you seek your Masters in Divinity.   It's an excellent campus and school.  (Enjoy Slavonic!!!! Yikes)

Never ignore a calling.   Seek and you will find.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:46 AM »
Thank You for your opinion.

Your welcome. That's what you was after, opinions

I knew that upon writing the first post of this thread that I may be met with a response such as the one which you gave.

Thas good then

When talking about topics of this nature especially on a forum with people who do not know you and may never meet it can be difficult to present this kind of topic in a way that does not make it seem like the decision in all about the person writing the post. I knew that somebody would try to dissuade me and maybe even point out that in my first post it appears that all I talk about is me me me..., because this decision is not about me me me although it may concern me. It is up to God what his will for my life is and how he wishes for me to serve him with my life.
You can do all of that serving it doesn't have to mean being a priest.

From my youth I have wanted to help and serve others, and I do this when and where I can, it just happens that I feel that God has called me to the priesthood, interestingly enough it is a place where I can be of help and service to others.
Yeah amazing coincidence

Like I said earlier it is difficult to have this nature of a discussion over an online forum where you are limited to words,
On the contrary i think words and what words people choose to use are pretty good at showing what they're about as a person.

it is difficult to present yourself entirely without writing a novel/autobiography
That depends on weather your trying to communicate facts or fiction. Intresting you choose them two. A novel is rli different from a autobiography. Funny the words ppl choose huh??

even then the person is going to be misinterpreted,
Sometimes yeah, thas life

as with only words the reader can interpret it in many ways.

Thats why i try and be pithy, saves little room for misinterpretation

What your response also teaches me is that on my journey I will face much opposition and difficulty from many different places, but I must not let them dissuade or discourage me,
Oh my daaaays!!! the melodrama i don't think i can stand it lolOl Melodrama laced with a dollop of victim mentality yummy whats for desert passive anger?? Nah i forgot we already had that earlier.

but that I must continue and by God's Grace and if it is God's Will for my life he will place me in the right places for me to serve him with what he has given me and then I may be given greater responsibility and maybe for God to place me on the path to the priesthood and eventually into the priesthood and continue guide me as I serve him where in he places me whether it is as a priest or not.
Practicing at sounding really humble is not the same as actually being really humble.

(and don't noone jump on me telling me i can hardly talk and that im not humble I dont pretend to be)

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 06:56:26 AM »
Just to let you know. After you have your Bachelor degree you can complete a 2 years ONLINE class for becoming a priest.
Here is a list of seminary and in US there are 5 online seminaries:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Seminaries_and_Theological_Schools

Before meeting pray to God so God will put in the words of the priest his willing.
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

• Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
Just to let you know. After you have your Bachelor degree you can complete a 2 years ONLINE class for becoming a priest.

Depends on if his bishop will accept that.

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
At the end of the program you can be ordained priest and since this school is authorized by a Bishop, under this Bishop I think there are no problems.  Best would be to ask your bishop to see the stance of your Church on Online programs.

Anyhow, after Bachelor you have even other option , you can do a Master Program of 1 year to 2 years maybe  .
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:20:56 AM by pasadi97 »

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »

I think that this is an important point that poppy brought up, except that I would say that it's not God stinging you, but more a natural consequence of your decision, which goes against His will for you.

And as far as not allowing people to discourage you, sometimes it's useful to listen to them. If quite a few people are telling you to slow down or don't do it, that also might be God calling you through them.

Sometimes we hear and see things so clearly, and they seem so right that we think it must be God. This ain't necessarily so. Sometimes, and more often than not in my own experience, it is our own self, ego - whatever you want to name it - that is calling.

It's important to test the spirits - that's what discernment is for.

In my former denom, I thought I was called to the ordained ministry. I was accepted to seminary and was in the formal discernment process. Luckily I ran smack dab into the Orthodox Church, and cooler heads prevailed. Upon further reflection, after much self-examination and reflection, I realize now that I would have been a disaster as a pastor.

Just be careful - there's no rush. Learn to be Orthodox, to live an Orthodox life - that's your first priority. Put the priest idea on the back burner.

That's my advice - FWIW.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
Everyone has a calling, a mission from God.

You can pray:

Dear God please force me and everybody to be saved without any pain and please force me and everybody to accomplish the mission you have designed for us , without any pain. Please force Creation to be restored to a state without sin, in a way without pain and please give everybody the understanding of all religions the way you see them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:11:35 AM by pasadi97 »

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
Speaking of forcing things. I spoke with a priest and he had the prophecy gift and I asked him if something I was thinking at would happen. And he said. Yes, this will happen after you will play soccer.

Then I went home and after several days I said, well its time to play some soccer. And I went and I played soccer and I force started what I wanted to do and it turned bad.

Then time went by and I had the ocasion to play soccer not an occasion made up and then an occasion arrived and I took that train and so far it turned Ok.

So the rule of would be to pray for God to put in the words of the priest what you need to do and then ask the priest if he believes this to be a good idea. If this is calling from God who are we to stand against it. However by asking the priest you can validate that your feeling is true and that is from God and that your mission on Earth is priesthood and not something else. After you finish the bachelor you have many more opportunities to become priest like a Master or ONLINE program. For a program ONLINE I know the tuition is 900 a semester.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:40:12 AM by pasadi97 »

• Elder
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »
At the end of the program you can be ordained priest and since this school is authorized by a Bishop, under this Bishop I think there are no problems.  Best would be to ask your bishop to see the stance of your Church on Online programs.

Anyhow, after Bachelor you have even other option , you can do a Master Program of 1 year to 2 years maybe  .

Pasadi, do you know people who have actually gone through these programs?

I do. For someone with a bachelor's degree, they have to attend a recognized Orthodox seminary (STS, SVS, HC) for the Masters of Divinity, which is three years. There are sometimes exceptions to this rule, but it's on a case by case basis.

In my OCA Diocese (Midwest), if someone has gone through the Diaconal Vocations program (which is 3 years), and then they spend at least one year at seminary (usually STS, as they’re more flexible with non-traditional students), then they might be ordained priest. But these are men who’ve been deacons for a while, are older, and have a secular job already. They will be assistant priests, not full-time pastors.

The Antiochian St. Stephen’s Program is a three-year program.  It was originally designed for permanent deacons. I know multiple men who’ve gone through the program, and they have to attend seminary for a full three years and earn their M.Div. It’s a very rigorous program. But it is not suitable as a replacement for seminary.

http://www.antiochian.org/638     

From the St. Stephen’s Program website:

St. Stephen’s Course of Studies is a three-year correspondence program designed for those who wish to study Orthodox theology but who are unable to attend an Orthodox seminary. Those ordained as clergy within other Christian churches and who hold a Master of Divinity degree from a non-Orthodox seminary may enroll in the St. Stephen’s Course of Studies as part of their path to ordination in the Orthodox Church. The program is also suitable for anyone seeking advanced training in Christian Education or Youth Ministry, and those who, with the blessing of their bishop, wish to prepare for ordination to the diaconate. While this program is primarily a long-distance program, it does require three units of a Residency Program at Antiochian Village.       

The ROCOR Midwest Diocese Pastoral School is primarily intended for those who, for whatever reason, have major difficulty in attending seminary. The ROCOR priest I know who went through this two-year program was a minister in a Protestant body and was unable to attend Orthodox seminary due to his secular employment. From the Midwest Pastoral School website:

http://www.orthodoxtheologicalschool.org/

The program does not seek to replace studies at a regular theological school, but rather to prepare those who cannot attend such schools, but who are none-the-less called to serve the local Church. Such individuals will partially make up for their lack of seminary on-campus experience by active participation in the liturgical life of their parish, attendance at a summer residence program, and through participation in virtual campus activities, as well as inter-seminary student conferences and activities.

It appears someone might be able to get a MTS from one of the programs I'm not familiar with, but not an M.Div.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:21:07 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 »

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
Thank You for your opinion.

Your welcome. That's what you was after, opinions

I knew that upon writing the first post of this thread that I may be met with a response such as the one which you gave.

Thas good then

When talking about topics of this nature especially on a forum with people who do not know you and may never meet it can be difficult to present this kind of topic in a way that does not make it seem like the decision in all about the person writing the post. I knew that somebody would try to dissuade me and maybe even point out that in my first post it appears that all I talk about is me me me..., because this decision is not about me me me although it may concern me. It is up to God what his will for my life is and how he wishes for me to serve him with my life.
You can do all of that serving it doesn't have to mean being a priest.

From my youth I have wanted to help and serve others, and I do this when and where I can, it just happens that I feel that God has called me to the priesthood, interestingly enough it is a place where I can be of help and service to others.
Yeah amazing coincidence

Like I said earlier it is difficult to have this nature of a discussion over an online forum where you are limited to words,
On the contrary i think words and what words people choose to use are pretty good at showing what they're about as a person.

it is difficult to present yourself entirely without writing a novel/autobiography
That depends on weather your trying to communicate facts or fiction. Intresting you choose them two. A novel is rli different from a autobiography. Funny the words ppl choose huh??

even then the person is going to be misinterpreted,
Sometimes yeah, thas life

as with only words the reader can interpret it in many ways.

Thats why i try and be pithy, saves little room for misinterpretation

What your response also teaches me is that on my journey I will face much opposition and difficulty from many different places, but I must not let them dissuade or discourage me,
Oh my daaaays!!! the melodrama i don't think i can stand it lolOl Melodrama laced with a dollop of victim mentality yummy whats for desert passive anger?? Nah i forgot we already had that earlier.

but that I must continue and by God's Grace and if it is God's Will for my life he will place me in the right places for me to serve him with what he has given me and then I may be given greater responsibility and maybe for God to place me on the path to the priesthood and eventually into the priesthood and continue guide me as I serve him where in he places me whether it is as a priest or not.
Practicing at sounding really humble is not the same as actually being really humble.

(and don't noone jump on me telling me i can hardly talk and that im not humble I dont pretend to be)

Hey Poppy, got some hangups on the priesthood?  It sounds less like you have a humility problem and more of a bitterness problem.  If this guy wants to inquire about the priesthood; why not give real advice instead of ignorant statements?  Are you like 13?  Seriously going through his posts and making 'ironic' comments is incredibly juvenile and shows you obviously have some previous issues on this matter.   

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
Hey Poppy, got some hangups on the priesthood?  It sounds less like you have a humility problem and more of a bitterness problem.  If this guy wants to inquire about the priesthood; why not give real advice instead of ignorant statements?  Are you like 13?  Seriously going through his posts and making 'ironic' comments is incredibly juvenile and shows you obviously have some previous issues on this matter.

Nah, no "hangups on the priesthood", so much for your armchair psychology
Bitterness problem haha... thas called "projection"
My "ignorant statements" might end up being more real than some of the pandering rubbish other people come out with.
"Juvenile"? lolOl, not being able to let someone else have a opinion shows me you have issues babe so jog on, go about your business and i won't stop you from having a opinion, no matter how critical and judgemental it is for a Orthodox person to have.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:41:15 PM by Poppy »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
Good emblem choice, RAR- I like St. Raphael.   :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
Hey Poppy, got some hangups on the priesthood?  It sounds less like you have a humility problem and more of a bitterness problem.  If this guy wants to inquire about the priesthood; why not give real advice instead of ignorant statements?  Are you like 13?  Seriously going through his posts and making 'ironic' comments is incredibly juvenile and shows you obviously have some previous issues on this matter.

Nah, no "hangups on the priesthood", so much for your armchair psychology
Bitterness problem haha... thas called "projection"
My "ignorant statements" might end up being more real than some of the pandering rubbish other people come out with.
"Juvenile"? lolOl, not being able to let someone else have a opinion shows me you have issues babe so jog on, go about your business and i won't stop you from having a opinion, no matter how critical and judgemental it is for a Orthodox person to have.

Maybe you can show me how to be a better Orthodox Christian and not so judgmental.  Oh, you can't because almost everything you say is rude and juvenile.  It has nothing to do with your 'opinion', if you want to call it that, it's your aggressive attitude about everything.  Go be mad about life now.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:31:11 PM by Hamartolos »

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »
Maybe you can show me how to be a better Orthodox Christian and not so judgmental.

Yeah i can actually, your welcome, don't mention it  ;) Pray more, instead of getting involved in a comment to someone else that don't concern you and turning it into a disagreement.

Oh, you can't because almost everything you say is rude and juvenile.

Nope not rude, thas only your opinion.

It has nothing to do with your 'opinion', if you want to call it that, it's your aggressive attitude about everything.

Mostly i am just direct or blunt which is what i get told all the time. Seems to me your the one more bothered, throwing your toys out the pram and resorting to name calling. Juvenile?? Yeah i'd say.... that's you again!!

Go be mad about life now.
I don't get mad about life babe i have got a good life.

Are we done now of you want to carry this on some more?? Because i don't.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:48:05 AM by Poppy »