OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:24:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of a pet  (Read 3233 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: January 09, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »

Yesterday, early in the morning, our kitty Mura suddenly died. She was only 6 years old and never had any health problems. Her death seemed to be instantaneous and non-violent. She just went out to our backyard like she used to do every morning, and the next thing we saw was her lying there dead.

My wife Lesya is devastated, please pray for her.

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:23:44 AM »

God comfort you both.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »

Lord have mercy. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »

George:  So sorry to hear and I wish your wife peace and comfort.  God gave us pets for companionship and your wife's grief is only a testament to what a good and loving companion your cat Mura was.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:55:59 AM »

Lord have mercy.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

I am sorry, Heorhij...please let Lesya know that we are praying for her assurance and comfort.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:32 AM »

Lord have mercy! So sorry to hear about the loss of the kitty.  Embarrassed

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »

These loving animals are a gift from God to fill our lives with their unconditional love and devotion.  They deserve our love in return.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »

Dear George,

The death of beloved pet is always hard. God grant you and your dear wife, Lesya, peace.

Lord have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »

Oh man am I so sorry to hear that!  Pets aren't simply animals, but truly companions and part of the family.  My sympathies to you and your wife.  May God comfort both of you.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:24:48 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »

Heorhij,
My sympathy to your wife and you.
CR

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 04:35:09 AM »

Lord, have mercy.
Heorhij, my sincere sympathies. Pets become an integral part of the family so quickly...
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »

Most posts and threads on "religious" forums do not affect me.  Many disgust me.  This thread moved me to tears.  God be with your wife, and with those that have shown you the love and sympathy in your loss.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »

Thank you all so much. By your prayers, Lesya seems to be a little better today.

Love never fails.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »

I am so sorry to read that this happened to you and your wife, Heorhji.  Cry  It must have been such a shock as your cat was so young.  It is very hard when a beloved pet dies.  I hope that you both are OK.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Alexius

Faith: Eastern Catholic

Baptism of Poland

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 01:51:36 AM »

I am very sorry to hear this, George. She had a good home and caring, loving owners. I have two cats myself and I know how close they become. It seems so sudden...Cry My prayers are with you and your wife.

"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius Cool
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »

Heorhij, I am very sorry to hear that.  I myself lost my dog of 6 years just last week.  Ran away and never came back.  I know how you and your wife must feel.  They really become members of the family.  God grant you comfort and peace.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 02:27:30 AM »

Oops sorry about overlooking this one... Lord have Mercy .. and Condolences and...

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called rainbow bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver. Sudeenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. YOU have been spotten, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, NEVER to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:29:00 AM by sdcheung » Logged

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 02:41:57 AM »

^^ That is so lovely!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 06:00:21 AM »

Lord have Mercy and comfort you two..
Never had pets in my life, but i guess it is such a great loss to lose one..

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 01:06:25 AM »

Another one, Tales from "Rainbow Bridge"....

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/humanhearts.html

Human Hearts

"Why did Scroedinger have to go so early?" asked Helen.

Because his business here in this incarnation was done - he captured your heart.

He ran back to Rainbow Bridge to share this special prize with all those other kitties who never knew what life with humans can be.

I can almost see him in the kitty playground, carefully taking that bit of your heart out of his secret pocket, gently handling it like precious jewel, and showing it proudly to his friends, who stare back in awe.
"This," he says, with is chest all puffed out in pride, "is the bit of human heart that I captured. Isn't it bright, and shiny? Look at it sparkle, look at it glow. Feel its warmth, feel the love".

Many of the other pets at Rainbow Bridge immediately recognised what Schroedinger had was part of a Human Heart. They recognised its look and its glow, and although they knew it was beautiful and good and warm and loving, they knew it wasn't quite as good as their very own human heart that they already had. The pets that had stolen their own sparkly thing hugged their own secret pockets, and went to spend some time reflecting quietly about their own human who would be joining them soon.

But other kitties, having never seen such a precious thing before, gathered around, sighing in awe and wonder. The gaze at it intently, with just a hint of jealousy, but mainly with the kind of wistful thinking you have when you are happy your friend has won the lottery.

A hush fills the meadow - the soft, warm glow of Helen's heart more than fills their ears, their eyes, their very souls. No-one speaks for what seems an eternity.

Eventually, a small voice comes from the back. Its a little kitten, a marmalade-coloured boy.
"But how do I get one" he asks, in kittenly innocence.

The older cats are aghast at his brazen lack of reverence for this most magnificent thing Shroedinger holds in his paw, but quickly see that there is no malice in this little kitty's question. Most of them wouldn't admit even to themselves that was the very same question that was written on their own soul.
Schroedinger smiles a wise, slightly cheeky, little smile.
"I'll tell you the secret," Shroedinger whispers.

Even the older cats move in a little, afraid that they may be seen by other cats for actually caring about this sort of thing - they had spent so long pretending *not* to care, the habit was hard to break.
"its as easy as breathing" Shoedinger announced.

The old Tom, who had been at the Bridge for as long as anyone could remember, snorted "Rubbish, nothing is that easy" he blustered.

"Ah," smiled Schroedinger, "there is a bit of trick, though"

The old Tom raised what was left of his eyebrow.

"But you have to go back down there", said Schroedinger as he pointed back down to Planet Earth, "That's the only place we know of where you can find these most precious things. There are so many different sorts, and they all have their own unique glow and sparkle, but they are all just as beautiful in their own way. This bit is just a chip, you see, a tiny tiny grain of the heart of Helen, and its sparkle is the most precious thing I have, its sparkle is the most beautiful of all I've seen, although I know each one of you has their own that is as special to you as this one is to me. You can find your own down there, and it will be whole and sparkle and shine and glow so much more than this tiny tiny piece, but you'll have to go back, and risk being hurt again."

Old Tom smiled his crooked smile, and said very very quietly "I never knew that it could be that good" as he put his first Paw on the Bridge. "Perhaps this time..." and he vanished.

Schroedinger waved a paw and the departed tom, and carefully replaced the grain of Helen's heart that he kept next to his. As the crowd of pets dissipated Schroedinger, hugged his Heart of Helen, and happily trotted off to the Butterfly Chasing Field to wait for that little grain to be reunited with the much bigger, more sparkly, part.

And down on earth, a little kitten, perhaps Old Tom, mewed softly at the great bright sparkly light of Human Heart he could feel in the hands that gently picked him out of the skip bin. He was breathing: and already sensed that somehow, this Human Heart would be his.

Copyright © Vicky Chapman
August 7, 2001

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »

Hey Heohij--

This isn't me mocking you....Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 06:26:55 PM »

Again, thank you, all who responded.

Yesterday, my wife and I were at the Divine Liturgy celebrated in a GOA mission parish in Aberdeen, MS. Before the commencement of the DL, the priest, Father Theo Theoharis, came up to us and said, "We missed you last time!" We said, we could not make it because it was when our cat died. He immediately said, "oh, I understand, I understand! It's like losing a baby!" I loved him so much for saying that. People are sometimes so harsh and stone-hearted when other people grieve about the death of their companion animals, but Father Theo was not like that at all.

We might adopt another kitten in a couple of months. Many, many thanks for your prayers.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:29:21 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »

He immediately said, "oh, I understand, I understand! It's like losing a baby!" I loved him so much for saying that. People are sometimes so harsh and stone-hearted when other people grieve about the death of their companion animals, but Father Theo was not like that at all.

Yes, that was a great reaction indeed.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »

Again, thank you, all who responded.

Yesterday, my wife and I were at the Divine Liturgy celebrated in a GOA mission parish in Aberdeen, MS. Before the commencement of the DL, the priest, Father Theo Theoharis, came up to us and said, "We missed you last time!" We said, we could not make it because it was when our cat died. He immediately said, "oh, I understand, I understand! It's like losing a baby!" I loved him so much for saying that. People are sometimes so harsh and stone-hearted when other people grieve about the death of their companion animals, but Father Theo was not like that at all.

We might adopt another kitten in a couple of months. Many, many thanks for your prayers.
I remember how devastated my grandma was when our little dog Bozo (a cocker spaniel/poodle mix) was killed by a much bigger neighbor dog who got a bit rambunctious in his play (so Grandma wanted to believe to protect the honor of the bigger dog).  It really is like losing one of your own family.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:37:37 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: