Author Topic: Russian Orthodox Icons  (Read 3371 times)

Offline collin_nunis

• Mind, Body, and Soul... Mostly the Mind.
Russian Orthodox Icons
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:51:24 AM »
Guys, do you know where I can get a glimpse of Russian Orthodox icons ala http://orthodoxicon.org? I'd like to copy some for my keeping. The Russian ones (especially those made at Sofrino) are fantastic!

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: Russian Orthodox Icons
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:58:05 AM »
While you may like those from that site, please realize that they are not traditional. These are very western (as in Renaissance like) in appearance an not like traditional iconography (Greek/Russian/whatever). 

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
While you may like those from that site, please realize that they are not traditional. These are very western (as in Renaissance like) in appearance an not like traditional iconography (Greek/Russian/whatever).

Tradition is in the eye of the beholder.  Those kind of icons can be found all over Russia in churches, cathedral and monasteries.  If you simply crunch the demographic numbers it wouldn't be too unreasonable to assume that they very well may be the most common type of Orthodox icon in the world.  And if they speak more to someone's spiritual senses, why add the caveat - St. Seraphim of Sarov prayed in front of such icons.   

Offline JoeS

• (aka StMarkEofE)
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Global Warming Enthusiast.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »

We like to refer to this "western" style as Slavic. These type of Icons are also seen in the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow which has a very rich collection of this style Iconography.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »
We like to refer to this "western" style as Slavic. These type of Icons are also seen in the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow which has a very rich collection of this style Iconography.

Fine, as you two seem to be the iconography experts, I'll let you field this one.

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
Fine, as you two seem to be the iconography experts, I'll let you field this one.

I'm not claiming to be an iconography expert, only that is odd to add such a strong caveat to a style iconography that is probably the most numerous in the Orthodox world. 

Offline Alexius

• Baptism of Poland
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »
I pray before a "Western" style icon of the Blessed Theotokos and Christ...:) I understand Elisha's point, though. In Ukraine and Russia and even at my parish, the Western style is most prevalent (due mostly to the Western influence under Peter the "Great" and Catherine the Great). I used to not like the Western style, but it has grown on me ;)
"You cannot reason with those who do not..."

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius 8)

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 05:31:25 PM »
I pray before a "Western" style icon of the Blessed Theotokos and Christ...:) I understand Elisha's point, though. In Ukraine and Russia and even at my parish, the Western style is most prevalent (due mostly to the Western influence under Peter the "Great" and Catherine the Great). I used to not like the Western style, but it has grown on me ;)

As do I...one of St. Seraphim!  I let a (I think former now) priest stay in my extra room for a week and he gave me it as a gift.  Do I prefer traditional styles?  Yes.  Do like "western" styles?  Not really, but I'm not going to throw the one I have away or actively try to get rid of it.  Again, this is another education issue.  Well, also a practical issue.  Many of these icons can be purchased very cheaply since they are factory made (I'm rather certain about this).  For those of little monetary means, it may be a good choice.  Another the other hand, my dad wanted to buy an icon of my patron for me (the Prophet Elisha).  For this icon, I found a blowup of the prophet that was bordering the Theotokos along with other prophets in a book of Bulgarian icons.  I had my priest's wife write this icon since she is one of the best egg tempera iconographers in the country.  It's beautiful and I love it.  Now, if I wanted to get an icon quickly and cheaply for myself or someone as a small gift, I would likely just buy one of these (most likely western looking) at the local Orthodox bookstore.  Depending upon the context of the church/worship space though, certain western looking icons have grown on me a little.

Offline JoeS

• (aka StMarkEofE)
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Global Warming Enthusiast.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »

I, for one, never claimed to be an expert on iconography.  Im just going on what I have been told by other iconographers who DO deal in this type of work.  They, no I, are the experts.

Offline Rowan

• Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...
  • -- Defying Gravity --
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 07:04:59 PM »
Our priest's son just recently came back from the Ukraine a month or so ago and gave our parish those types of icons to use. Also, that icon style is featured in the Russian Orthodox movie Ostrov.
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »
I love those Russian silk icons. Very beautiful.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
Guys, do you know where I can get a glimpse of Russian Orthodox icons ala http://orthodoxicon.org? I'd like to copy some for my keeping. The Russian ones (especially those made at Sofrino) are fantastic!

http://www.alexandraint.net/index.php?cPath=23&sort=2a&page=3&ralsSID=2318fe8c76ac48ac57b568ce8c3a594c

I think this website has the kind of icons you are looking for.  The icons are reasonably priced enough that you can buy them rather than just copy them. 

Offline samkim

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 12:39:25 AM »
What exactly is a Russian silk icon? I have always wondered.
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline Alexius

• Baptism of Poland
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 12:54:15 AM »
As do I...one of St. Seraphim!  I let a (I think former now) priest stay in my extra room for a week and he gave me it as a gift.  Do I prefer traditional styles?  Yes.  Do like "western" styles?  Not really, but I'm not going to throw the one I have away or actively try to get rid of it.  Again, this is another education issue.  Well, also a practical issue.  Many of these icons can be purchased very cheaply since they are factory made (I'm rather certain about this).  For those of little monetary means, it may be a good choice.  Another the other hand, my dad wanted to buy an icon of my patron for me (the Prophet Elisha).  For this icon, I found a blowup of the prophet that was bordering the Theotokos along with other prophets in a book of Bulgarian icons.  I had my priest's wife write this icon since she is one of the best egg tempera iconographers in the country.  It's beautiful and I love it.  Now, if I wanted to get an icon quickly and cheaply for myself or someone as a small gift, I would likely just buy one of these (most likely western looking) at the local Orthodox bookstore.  Depending upon the context of the church/worship space though, certain western looking icons have grown on me a little.

Not the one I have. It cost a pretty penny (it's rather old) :-[

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius 8)

Offline Alexius

• Baptism of Poland
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 12:58:21 AM »
What exactly is a Russian silk icon? I have always wondered.

I think they are icons made of stitched silk. From a distance, they look like tempura icons...

Prayers and Petitions,
                        Alexius 8)

Offline collin_nunis

• Mind, Body, and Soul... Mostly the Mind.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 01:08:46 AM »
I love all icons... just that I like the Slavic icons as well... You can't blame me... I come from a Western background.