OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 12:04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Eastern" "Roman" and "Oriental"  (Read 3401 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: January 08, 2008, 01:50:20 AM »

I was just curious when the Eastern church started to refer to itself as Orthodox and how the Non-Chaledonians referred to themselves as Oriental Orthodox and when the Western church referred to itself as Roman Catholic?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:09:55 AM »

A lot of this is based around the English language.  For example, in Italian, the Roman Catholic Church is merely the Chiesa cattolica.  To distinguish the two communions with the words Oriental and Eastern would be impossible since Orientale is used for both.  I believe the term Roman Catholic was formulated to differentiate "English Catholics" from those in communion with Rome in english speaking regions.  As far as EO and OO go, I truly have no idea.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:29:07 AM »

Hello,

The term Roman Catholic was originally used by Anglicans as a pejorative term and to bolster their claims of catholicity of their Anglican "Catholic" Church. This is only found in the English language and has evolved in the hundreds of years since its inception from a slur to an authentic descriptor (though still one only found in English).

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »

I was just curious when the Eastern church started to refer to itself as Orthodox and how the Non-Chaledonians referred to themselves as Oriental Orthodox and when the Western church referred to itself as Roman Catholic?

From what I can understand, the term "Orthodox" was used from the earliest times throughout the Christian world by those Christians who wished to distinguish themselves from various heretical groups, or just as a means of identification.  It was only later in the West (though I don't know at what point exactly) that the term "Catholic" came to be used instead.  IIRC, the Oriental Orthodox use this designation just as a kind of convenience, just like the Eastern Orthodox do, in order to make identification easier for outsiders.  Both the OO and the EO consider themselves to be simply "Orthodox".  Of course, the Roman Church also considers herself to be the Orthodox Church, but stresses its belief in its catholic component instead.  (And, I might add, its own particular understanding of the term, ie "universal.")

"Byzantine" Greeks actually considered themselves to be Romans, of course.  Orthodox people in various parts of the Mediterranean basin still refer to themselves as "Roman Orthodox" today.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:09:04 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »

The term Roman Catholic was originally used by Anglicans as a pejorative term and to bolster their claims of catholicity of their Anglican "Catholic" Church. This is only found in the English language and has evolved in the hundreds of years since its inception from a slur to an authentic descriptor (though still one only found in English).

I think you are right.  However, the term "Roman Catholic" is also used in French in Canada.  I presume that this is an anglicism.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »

Hello,

Actually, it exists in Arabic: ruum katholiik (katholiik means only Latin, it doesn't have any connotation of being universal in Arabic).

The use of the term Orthodox among the OO dates from the schisms with the submission of part of them to Rome.  Ironically, EO was (and is) referred to as ruum.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:12:57 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »

Actually, it exists in Arabic: ruum katholiik (katholiik means only Latin, it doesn't have any connotation of being universal in Arabic).

Interesting.  It seems that this represents an entirely different evolution of the term "Roman Catholic" compared to the one that we are used to in English!

The use of the term Orthodox among the OO dates from the schisms with the submission of part of them to Rome. 

Well, it might have been emphasized more after this, but I don't think I agree with you insofar as your statement implies that they only began to call themselves "Orthodox" at this point. 

Ironically, EO was (and is) referred to as ruum.

This is just what I was referring to in one of my posts.  It's essentially used as an identification with the "Byzantine" (ie Roman) empire.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »

From what I can understand, the term "Orthodox" was used from the earliest times throughout the Christian world by those Christians who wished to distinguish themselves from various heretical groups, or just as a means of identification.  It was only later in the West (though I don't know at what point exactly) that the term "Catholic" came to be used instead.  IIRC, the Oriental Orthodox use this designation just as a kind of convenience, just like the Eastern Orthodox do, in order to make identification easier for outsiders.  Both the OO and the EO consider themselves to be simply "Orthodox".  Of course, the Roman Church also considers herself to be the Orthodox Church, but stresses its belief in its catholic component instead.  (And, I might add, its own particular understanding of the term, ie "universal.")

"Byzantine" Greeks actually considered themselves to be Romans, of course.  Orthodox people in various parts of the Mediterranean basin still refer to themselves as "Roman Orthodox" today.

From Byzantium: The Empire of New Rome by Cyril Mango:
'It is Our Will, proclaims an imperial enactment of the year 380 that was later placed at the head of Justinian's Code,
that all the peoples who are ruled by the administration of Our Clemency shall practise that religion which the divine Peter the apostle transmitted to the Romans...We shall believe in the single Diety of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit under the guise of equal majesty and of the Holy Trinity. We command that those persons who follow this law shall embrace the name of Catholic Christians (emphasis added). The rest whom we adjudge demented and insane [dementes vesanoque], shall sustain the infamy attached to heretical dogmas... Cod.Theod., xvi. 1. 2.; Cod.Just., i. 1.1.

Later mango goes on to explain that originally 'orthodoxy' (note small 'o') meant right belief against the Arian heresy but later "Orthodoxy" meant the Catholic Church untainted by monophysitism, Arianism, monotheletism, or iconoclasm. The terms Orthodox and Catholic becoming synonymous.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »

Hello,

I think you are right.  However, the term "Roman Catholic" is also used in French in Canada.  I presume that this is an anglicism.

Makes sense as Canada has been a commonwealth of England for centuries (are they still officially so?) - despite Quebec. Tongue

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

Hello,

It's all Arabic to me. Grin

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 12:54:30 AM »

From Byzantium: The Empire of New Rome by Cyril Mango:
Later mango goes on to explain that originally 'orthodoxy' (note small 'o') meant right belief against the Arian heresy but later "Orthodoxy" meant the Catholic Church untainted by monophysitism, Arianism, monotheletism, or iconoclasm. The terms Orthodox and Catholic becoming synonymous.

Yes, even if you were Monophysitie, Arian, monothelete or iconoclast, you claimed to be Orthodox and Catholic.

Well, it might have been emphasized more after this, but I don't think I agree with you insofar as your statement implies that they only began to call themselves "Orthodox" at this point. 

No, they were calling themselves (rightly so) that and "Catholic" from the beginning.  The use of Orthodox in contradiction to "kathuuliik" only dates from that time, as the submtters were also Coptic, Syrian and Armenian.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:58:15 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
EmperorConstantine
Acolyte and Pizza-Maker

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

St. Constantine the Great

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:51:19 AM »

Hello,

I believe that the case was similar for Martin Luther and his crowd.

Luther believe that he was still "Catholic" however the one's under the pope also claimed to be "Catholic".  Thus, the Roman adjective was added.  I asked a number of Lutherans about this and a topic similar to it.  Most said they prefer to be called "Evangelical Catholic".
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

Hello,

I believe that the case was similar for Martin Luther and his crowd.

Luther believe that he was still "Catholic" however the one's under the pope also claimed to be "Catholic".  Thus, the Roman adjective was added.  I asked a number of Lutherans about this and a topic similar to it.  Most said they prefer to be called "Evangelical Catholic".

Seeing how Luther spoke German and not English, is there a German word for Roman Catholic?

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
EmperorConstantine
Acolyte and Pizza-Maker

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

St. Constantine the Great

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »

Hello,

Seeing how Luther spoke German and not English, is there a German word for Roman Catholic?
The German word for Catholic is "Katholich" so I believe that Roman Catholic in German would be something like "Romisch-katholish" with an umlaut over the o in Romisch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 04:47:30 AM »

Yes, in Arabic we distinguish the Orthodox by calling the OO's Orthodox and the EO's Roman Orthodox (ruum orsodox)

I think the difference between "oriental" and "eastern" came as a convenience at some WCC meeting.  The name Oriental Orthodox is something that came out of the mid-20th Century.  We always have called ourselves "Eastern Orthodox" to be distinguished from the "relatively Western" Greeks and Romans.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: