OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 08:47:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming spiritually dead - Please pray for me  (Read 2691 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: January 06, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »

Dear brothers/sisters,

Although I very much wish to remain an Orthodox Christian, I really feel out of touch with my faith these days.  I rarely go to Divine Liturgy (mostly because of work, but also just plain laziness.)  I continue to pray before my meals and I read Orthodox liturature during my lunch hour and sometimes at home, but I just feel restless and spiritually dead.  I don't want to give the impression that I don't care anymore, but sometimes I feel that way.  I'm bored at church and my life just seems so 'blah' anymore.  I will be talking with my priest about this but in the meantime I humbly ask that you keep me in your prayers. 

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »

Gabriel, you are always in our prayers.

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »

Lord have mercy on thy servant, Gabriel.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »

Lord have mercy on your servant Gabriel.  You have my prayers.

Juliana
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:30 PM »

Lord preserve Thy servant.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

Lord have mercy.

(And I echo Mr. Y's sentiment.  Smiley)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:00:26 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 07:23:10 PM »

Lord have mercy!

We all go through it, and at most times, it's to mature our spiritual life. Call on God, He definately has a way out for you!

God bless.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »

We all have to come down from Mount Tabor sometime.

Lord have mercy.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:09:57 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Gabriel;

If you haven't already, may I also suggest you have a chat with a doctor, too.

God be with you.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »

Prayers...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 12:16:35 AM »

I'll keep you in my prayers. 

I understand what you're going through.  I'm still struggling with my spritual health. 

Lord have mercy on us all.

PB
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 12:31:30 AM »

Lord have mercy!

All of us go through low times like this in our lives,and certainly the advice to speak to your priest is a good one, as well as speaking to your physician.

Please keep us updated on what's going on with you, and know that many people are praying for you!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 12:12:34 AM »

Thank you all so very much for your prayers!  It really meant a lot to come home and see all the replies AND I can say they honestly worked because I began to feel much better towards the end of the day.  As a personal disclosure, I was diagnosed with depression last year and it seems to be worse during the winter months (which probably has something to do with my current 'funk'.)  I'm starting an exercise program and planning healthier meals that I've been advised will help.  I'm a little nervous about disclosing this, but I do so only so that others who may have depression will know that you're not alone.  Again, thank you all so much!

In Christ,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 12:57:52 AM »

Brother Gabriel, 

I am so pleased that you are feeling a bit better.  I have had problems with anxiety/depression and know how it can color your mood.  I have found that it helps me to remember all the blessings God has bestowed upon me...and how few hardships I have compared to countless other poor souls.  But more importantly I try to not dwell on myself and focus on how thing affect me. Somehow it seems lift me up if I concentrate on helping others, even if it is something small.  I will continue to pray for you along with many of us here at OC.net.  May you be of good cheer!

God bless you,
Juliana
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 01:26:24 AM »

Thank God!   Smiley

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 01:42:32 AM »

As a personal disclosure, I was diagnosed with depression last year and it seems to be worse during the winter months (which probably has something to do with my current 'funk'.)
Sounds like it might be a bit of a seasonal affective disorder tied to the reduced sunlight of winter.  Quite common, actually.  Lord have mercy.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 04:14:46 AM »

We all go thru it a times .....Ive been thru it several times ,,,but i still believe in God and his ancient Holy orthodox Church ,,,that i can never give up even thou i been guilty and missed liturgy many many times......your here on this orthodox forum hopefully it will help rekindle the spark in you so all is not lost ,great advice talk to your Father confessor....stashko..........SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:50:28 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »

Glad to hear you're feeling better.  Smiley  We're always here for you!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »

Gabriel:  As you've described, this kind of spiritual depression often goes hand-in-hand with the medical illness of depression or anxiety disorder.  It just feels so much worse because we all look to our faith as something strong to lean on when we are going through tough times.  I hope you don't mind me sharing, but 15 years ago right after I was christmated, I started having severe panic attacks that started suddenly one night when I was saying Evening prayers.  I developed depression and I had a huge crisis of faith and it began to erode my belief in God - the usual "do I really believe in God" stuff.

I always attributed this episode partly to job stress, buying a house and getting chrismated all in a period of 4 months, but it's got to be partly the attack of Satan on my new faith.  It was a bad experience to go to church on Sunday and sing "we have found the True Faith" and have a panic attack just being there.   Exercise, refocusing, mental health counselling, and some good drugs helped alot, but the one person I could always count on was my priest.  He always told me and I still hang on to his words-"Lack of faith is not doubt, it's indifference."   

Over the years I've realized that for converts, the high of the conversion experience may fade, but what replaces it is steadiness.  I still have doubts and periods of spiritual doldrums, but I keep plugging on with my faith because I don't know of anything else in this world that is worth this kind of fight.   God bless you and give you peace. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »

Lord Have Mercy on Your servant, Gabriel.

Let Your Light guide him through his personal winter during the bleak season.

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:09 PM »

So good to hear that you are feeling better. Sorry for my late response. You are in my prayers.

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »

Thanks for the kind and uplifting words, y'all!  It really does mean a lot to people are praying for me even though we've never met!  Thanks again,

Gabriel

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »

Thank you all so very much for your prayers!  It really meant a lot to come home and see all the replies AND I can say they honestly worked because I began to feel much better towards the end of the day.  As a personal disclosure, I was diagnosed with depression last year and it seems to be worse during the winter months (which probably has something to do with my current 'funk'.)  I'm starting an exercise program and planning healthier meals that I've been advised will help.  I'm a little nervous about disclosing this, but I do so only so that others who may have depression will know that you're not alone.  Again, thank you all so much!

In Christ,
Gabriel

So glad to hear you are feeling better! We understand that work keeps you away sometimes, but you are included in our prayers--prayers that you'll be there to sing in choir! Just kidding. . . you have our prayers regardless.

Anyhow, whe you talk about the depression being worse in the winter months, you seem to be describing Seasonal Affective Disorder. This is partially caused by lack of sunlight. Luckily, this can be combatted by spending some time (usually 30 minutes a day) nearby a full spectrum lamp. Full Spectrum Lamp at Staples You don't have to have a prescription for this, but you may want to talk to your doctor about this worsening anyway. Take care, Gabriel!

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 04:51:23 AM »

Very glad to hear about signs of improvements. May God support you in everything. Yes, as it has been pointed, we all have low times. Been there myself. You are in my prayers, and also my best wishes!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: