OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:26:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epiphany in Western Rite -The Great Blessing of Water at Epiphany  (Read 2389 times) Average Rating: 0
kaarina33

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« on: January 06, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »

If anyone is interested what Western Rite does for Epiphany,
Last evening, following vespers, we had The Service for the Epiphany blessing of Water:
I know our music is different-Gregorian Chant, I am not sure how similar The Blessing Prayers are  Eastern Rite prayers, but here is a outline of our service, and the prayers that were used for the blessing of the waters:

The Eve of Epiphany: The Great Blessing of Water at Epiphany

THE LITANY OF THE SAINTS and PSALMS

PSALM 29   Afferte Domino
PSALM 46   Deus noster refugium
PSALM 147   Laudate Dominum

Prayers for The Great Blessing of Water

In the Name of our Lord  Jesus Christ and by His power, we cast you out, every unclean spirit,
every devilish power, every assault of the infernal adversary, every legion, every diabolical group
and sect; begone and stay far from the Church of God, from all who are made in the image of
God and redeemed by the precious blood of the divine  Lamb. Never again dare, you cunning
serpent, to deceive the human race, to persecute the Church of God, nor to strike the chosen of
God and to sift them as  wheat. For it is the Most High God who  commands you,  He to
whom you heretofore in your great pride considered yourself equal; He who desires that all men
might be saved and come to the knowledge of Truth.

God the Father  commands you.
God the Son  commands you.
God the Holy  Spirit commands you.

The majesty of Christ, the eternal Word of God made flesh  commands you; He who for the
salvation of our race, the race that was lost through your envy, humbled Himself and became
obedient even unto death; He who built His Church upon a solid rock, and proclaimed that the
gates of hell should never prevail against her, and that He would remain with her all days, even to
the end of the world.

The sacred mystery of the Cross  commands you, as well as the power of all the mysteries of
Christian faith.

The exalted Virgin Mary, Mother of God  commands you, who in her lowliness crushed your
proud head.

The faith of the holy apostles Peter and Paul and the other apostles  commands you.
The blood of the martyrs and the devout intercession of all holy men and women commands you.
Therefore, accursed dragon and every diabolical legion, we adjure you by the living  God, by
the true  God, by the holy  God, by the God who so loved the world that He gave His only-
begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have life everlasting; cease
your deception of the human race and your giving them to drink of the poison of everlasting
damnation; desist from harming the Church and fettering her freedom. Begone Satan, you father
and teacher of lies and enemy of mankind. Give place to Christ in whom you found none of your
works; give place to the one, holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church, which Christ Himself
purchased with His blood. May you be brought low under God's mighty hand. May you tremble
and flee as we call upon the holy and awesome Name of Jesus, before whom hell quakes, and to
whom the virtues, powers, and dominations are subject; whom the cherubim and seraphim praise
with unwearied voices, saying: Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of hosts!

Followed by the Then the antiphon and Magnificat, The Blessing of the Salt

The service closed with the singing of the Te Deum, as the people are sprinkled with the Blessed Water .

(All music is traditional Gregorian Chant)

We are always living God's future in a broken present,
the Gospel is always a word of reconciliation from God's future spoken ahead of its time"
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ

Interesting because I've never known the blessing of water at Epiphany to be a western tradition but maybe I'm wrong Smiley

David

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »

If anyone is interested what Western Rite does for Epiphany,
Last evening, following vespers, we had The Service for the Epiphany blessing of Water:
I know our music is different-Gregorian Chant, I am not sure how similar The Blessing Prayers are  Eastern Rite prayers, but here is a outline of our service, and the prayers that were used for the blessing of the waters:

The Eve of Epiphany: The Great Blessing of Water at Epiphany

THE LITANY OF THE SAINTS and PSALMS

PSALM 29   Afferte Domino
PSALM 46   Deus noster refugium
PSALM 147   Laudate Dominum

Prayers for The Great Blessing of Water

In the Name of our Lord  Jesus Christ and by His power, we cast you out, every unclean spirit,
every devilish power, every assault of the infernal adversary, every legion, every diabolical group
and sect; begone and stay far from the Church of God, from all who are made in the image of
God and redeemed by the precious blood of the divine  Lamb. Never again dare, you cunning
serpent, to deceive the human race, to persecute the Church of God, nor to strike the chosen of
God and to sift them as  wheat. For it is the Most High God who  commands you,  He to
whom you heretofore in your great pride considered yourself equal; He who desires that all men
might be saved and come to the knowledge of Truth.

God the Father  commands you.
God the Son  commands you.
God the Holy  Spirit commands you.

The majesty of Christ, the eternal Word of God made flesh  commands you; He who for the
salvation of our race, the race that was lost through your envy, humbled Himself and became
obedient even unto death; He who built His Church upon a solid rock, and proclaimed that the
gates of hell should never prevail against her, and that He would remain with her all days, even to
the end of the world.

The sacred mystery of the Cross  commands you, as well as the power of all the mysteries of
Christian faith.

The exalted Virgin Mary, Mother of God  commands you, who in her lowliness crushed your
proud head.

The faith of the holy apostles Peter and Paul and the other apostles  commands you.
The blood of the martyrs and the devout intercession of all holy men and women commands you.
Therefore, accursed dragon and every diabolical legion, we adjure you by the living  God, by
the true  God, by the holy  God, by the God who so loved the world that He gave His only-
begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have life everlasting; cease
your deception of the human race and your giving them to drink of the poison of everlasting
damnation; desist from harming the Church and fettering her freedom. Begone Satan, you father
and teacher of lies and enemy of mankind. Give place to Christ in whom you found none of your
works; give place to the one, holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church, which Christ Himself
purchased with His blood. May you be brought low under God's mighty hand. May you tremble
and flee as we call upon the holy and awesome Name of Jesus, before whom hell quakes, and to
whom the virtues, powers, and dominations are subject; whom the cherubim and seraphim praise
with unwearied voices, saying: Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of hosts!

Followed by the Then the antiphon and Magnificat, The Blessing of the Salt

The service closed with the singing of the Te Deum, as the people are sprinkled with the Blessed Water .

(All music is traditional Gregorian Chant)

What's with the blessing of the salt..In Orthodoxy I never noticed salt used or blessed and added to the holy water...I watched a old latin mass im not that crazy about it ..it seems stiff and regimented, hope thats the correct word to describe it..Plus the altar is againt a wall...The clergy seem to be more to the side sitting ,,its just different.... Huh Huh Huh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:34:48 AM »

Sigh, the thread was dormant for 18 months....

What's with the blessing of the salt..

Jesus called us the "salt of the earth." in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:13)

In Orthodoxy I never noticed salt used or blessed and added to the holy water...

Salt was used as a preservative in ancient times.  The Dead Sea contains a lot of salt which explains its properties and healing powers.  There may be other explanations which make sense....

I watched a old latin mass im not that crazy about it ..it seems stiff and regimented, hope thats the correct word to describe it..Plus the altar is againt a wall...The clergy seem to be more to the side sitting ,,its just different.... Huh Huh Huh

A lot of things are different and that doesn't make them stiff and regimented.   Wink

Edited for content.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:44:32 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ

Interesting because I've never known the blessing of water at Epiphany to be a western tradition but maybe I'm wrong Smiley

David

I remember back when I first found Orthodoxy, I came across an old volume on the Great Blessing on Theophany, which collected all the old Rites.  I just remember it having the Coptic and the Latin.   It is only from that that I knew the West had its service.
http://books.google.com/books?id=FgEPAAAAQAAJ&printsec=titlepage&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0

A shame the Armenian isn't there (I assume because the Armenians keep the old Tradition of Nativity and Theophany together).
http://www.armenianchurch.net/worship/christmas/armenia.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:44:40 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Epiphany 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: