OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:41:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What color socks to wear?  (Read 1413 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: January 05, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »

I'm being chrismated tomorrow.  Father told me to come up without shoes on after the homily.  I forgot to ask him: what color socks should I wear.  I plan on wearing dress (dark) socks tomorrow.  Will this be ok?  Thanks
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »

Well, I would think that you'd want to have no socks on, the chrism will be placed on your feet since it is you who will be chrismated, not your socks; but ultimately, every priest will have his own practice, he may or may not want you to remove your socks. As for the type of socks, I don't think it's that big of a deal, whatever you feel comfortable in.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:46:12 PM »

I'm being chrismated tomorrow.  Father told me to come up without shoes on after the homily.  I forgot to ask him: what color socks should I wear.  I plan on wearing dress (dark) socks tomorrow.  Will this be ok?  Thanks
It's common in our parish to wear sandals on the day of your chrismation. Of course I do live in Florida. Wink

Congratulations and many years!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:11:26 AM »

It's common in our parish to wear sandals on the day of your chrismation. Of course I do live in Florida. Wink
Heck, I guess I misunderstood the instructions of my priest and godfathers, because I went up to be chrismated barefoot. Grin
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:18:09 AM »

Heck, I guess I misunderstood the instructions of my priest and godfathers, because I went up to be chrismated barefoot. Grin
Oh the humanity. Shocked

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »

Actually, that's a common practice in my parish. I was chrismated along with about a dozen others, and none of us had shoes.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:52:53 PM »

Actually, that's a common practice in my parish. I was chrismated along with about a dozen others, and none of us had shoes.

Adamites!

Or maybe, more appropriate: Mosaics! (remember the burning bush?).

The Copts never wear shoes in the sanctuary (I think the same for the Ethiopians).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 12:54:30 AM »

StGeorge,

So...did you wear socks? If so, what color?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:38:33 AM »

How did your baptism/chrismation go?

Thomas
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:38:42 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up