OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:04:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Holy Orders  (Read 1292 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: January 05, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »

A Catholic on another forum asked a question about the validity of the OO priesthood. The response he got was that the RC views OO orders as valid "although there are doubts about the validity of Orders in the Ethiopian Orthodox because of the way Orders have been conferred in that Church."

Naturally, I am not questioning the validity of the Ethiopian priesthood based on Rome's view on the issue. I am, however, interested in how the conferrance of Orders in the Ethiopian Church differs from the other Orthodox churches.

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:03:24 PM by Salpy » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 04:14:00 AM »

A Catholic on another forum asked a question about the validity of the OO priesthood. The response he got was that the RC views OO orders as valid "although there are doubts about the validity of Orders in the Ethiopian Orthodox because of the way Orders have been conferred in that Church."

Naturally, I am not questioning the validity of the Ethiopian priesthood based on Rome's view on the issue. I am, however, interested in how the conferrance of Orders in the Ethiopian Church differs from the other Orthodox churches.

Thanks

MODERATION:  Link to other forum re-enabled pending further moderatorial review  - PeterTheAleut

I vaguely remember some question being with the bishop touching the candidate with his Cross instead of his hand.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:40:27 AM »

Haven't read the other forum but are you sure this isn't just something to do with the so-called "Synod in Exile" of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church?

From what I'm aware of, their new ordinations have no validity as not all of their original bishops were properly ordained however their priests who were priests before the schism and the two bishops (if there are more I don't know about them) who are truly bishops still hold their rank although under excommunication.

Could somebody closer to the matter please clarify/confirm/comment on this?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Specs

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:33:40 AM »

I believe this issue came up with the Anglican Orders question. The question was that though at least theoretically the Ethiopian Church possesses a rite of Ordination, in practice it was different (at least at that time which was the 18th century). Due to the vast number of persons, the Coptic archbishop for the Ethiopians was said to have ordained deacons by placing his cross on their heads and ordained priests by placing his hands and saying "Receive the Holy Spirit" (and it was also said, that again, because of the number of priests, some of them got the imposition of the hands, but no words, and vice versa)

I don't know whether it is applicable now- after all, the Tewahedo Church now has its own bishops and probably follows the entire Ordination rite?
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church Ordination holy orders priesthood 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: