OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:39:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid Things I've Learned in Life  (Read 2151 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: January 03, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »

• If you put an ant on a copy machine and increase the magnification to 200%, the ant is still only the size of a large grain of rice.  (Learned today on my lunch break.  Learning is a lifelong passion isn't it.)
  • Always feed gulls and pigeons upwind.
  • You must start Dark Side of the Moon exactly as the MGM lion roars in Wizard of Oz
  • Never ride a motorcycle in shorts, on a muddy street while checking out cute construction workers. (And certainly don't tell the doctor at the emergency room that's how you got the 2nd and 3rd degree burns on your leg.

I'd love to hear some of the wisdom my fellow OC Netters have gained from living life (usually on the wild side of youth).
[/list]

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:29:42 PM »

• Coating the inside of a fellow camp counselor's swim trunks with Gold Bond powder right before he jumps in the pool is not a good way to make him your friend.
  • Especially if he's a jerk.
  • It will, however, make all the other counselors your friends.
  • Yes, you really can joust in Wal-Mart with shopping carts, brooms, and trash can lids.
  • My boss likes the funny motions I draft at work (like the Motion to Prohibit Stupid Motions)...except for when I put his name on them.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »

• If you snort alka seltzer it makes your nose foam and bleed
    (I personally have never done this, but a stupid boy that wouldn't stop pestering me to sell him coke in my highschool science class found that out the hard way. And yes I am aware that is an evil thing to do to someone...now. Back then it was just funny.)
  • Asking repeatedly for milk at an Orange Julius stand that doesn't sell milk will give you a very snide remark from the minimum wage slaves. ("I am sorry sir, but none of us are lactating today)
  • Telling your principal that;
    1) You can't be a warlock since you are female and
    2)IF you were a warlock he would be dead,
    results in expulsion not only from your school, but all other schools in the district, and a permanent ban from ever stepping foot on the campus again without criminal charges.
  • Lighting a candle and leaving it in your locker tends to freak out the hierarchy at a highscool. Although it DOES smell nice.
  • Even though there is no sign on a mall that says you are not allowed to ride a bike inside of it, they still get really upset and ban you from the mall for life if you do it, and put up a sign that says no bike riding in the mall laugh
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 05:06:02 PM by Quinault » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »

For everyone wondering how to use the bullet points, here's a quick primer.

1.  Start with [ list ] on the first line.
2.  On the second line (this will be where your first bullet appears) start with [ li ].  When done with your point, end with [ /li ].
3.  For your next bullet, start with [ li ], close with [ /li ].
4.  You get the idea.
5.  Once your list is done, close your list with [ /list ].
6.  Of course, make sure to remove the spaces that I put in the examples above.

Veniamin, FFA Moderator

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »

Beer as a mixer for Wild Turkey can have unexpected results.
jayjay

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »

Before you spit out the car window, make sure it's wound down.

Expect the best, Prepare for the worst!
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

How about checking your rear view mirror to make sure your garage door actually went up before you pull out of the garage?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:11:47 AM »

One thing I recently learned... This past August, my wife and I, for the first time in our lives, bought a car with all these fancy modern things like remote controls attached to the key. It has little icons showing a doorlock in the locked position and the doorlock in the unlocked position. I learned that when you walk down the university hallway approaching your locked office, no matter how many times and how aggressively you press on the remote control with the "unlocked" icon, the office door will still not open...  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Love never fails.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »

Never drive directly beneath seagulls perched on bridge lights while driving a 1965 MGB with the top down.  Embarrassed

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:43:49 AM »

One thing I recently learned... This past August, my wife and I, for the first time in our lives, bought a car with all these fancy modern things like remote controls attached to the key. It has little icons showing a doorlock in the locked position and the doorlock in the unlocked position. I learned that when you walk down the university hallway approaching your locked office, no matter how many times and how aggressively you press on the remote control with the "unlocked" icon, the office door will still not open...  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

HAHA!  This reminds me of the recent television commercial for the Sync technology that Ford is offering in its new Lincoln models.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »

NEVER ASK a woman when her baby is due unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE she is pregnant!!  I did this while in an elevator and had to ride the whole way up with a seething woman next to me.  UGH.  Embarrassed

Juliana
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 03:44:11 PM »

Never, ever read books while walking, and especially not while climbing or descending stairs!

If you suspect you're going to need to go dumpster diving because someone threw something out you now need, always let someone know!

If you are vacuuming the floor and find a stubborn piece of lint, remember to let go of the piece when you run the vacuum cleaner over it!

After you break your nose in a rugby match, you really should go to a doctor sometime, and not trust your Australian car mechanic/coach's medical knowledge!

Do not dangle your keys out of your pockets when you enter elevator cars in anticipation of going home---the need to search the elevator pit for them will make you hours late in getting where you were anticipating!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »

Do not dangle your keys out of your pockets when you enter elevator cars in anticipation of going home---the need to search the elevator pit for them will make you hours late in getting where you were anticipating!

LoL!  I'm glad I am not the only one who has done that.   laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

• Never stick your toe in the bathtub faucet just to see if it will fit.  (Hey, I was five. That's what five year olds do.)
  • Never try to break up a cat fight while being in the same county as the fighting cats.  Unless you have a garden hose.  Fire hoses are better.
  • When your older and very cruel brother tells you to close your eyes and put out your hand, NEVER NEVER NEVER obey.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »

• Never try to break up a cat fight while being in the same county as the fighting cats.  Unless you have a garden hose.  Fire hoses are better.
So I'm guessing you now appreciate that Remote-Detonation Cat-Fight Bomb you once said I'd never use....

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »

So I'm guessing you now appreciate that Remote-Detonation Cat-Fight Bomb you once said I'd never use....

Absolutely!  I will push the shiny red button myself.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 10:54:14 PM »

2 things:

1)Never turn on the jacuzzi when it is only half full. 

2)Never use bubble soap in a whirlpool--at least never use more than say half the bottle at one time.  It took me hours to get rid of all those bubbles!

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »

• Never put maple tree seeds up your nose on a dare. Odds are it will get stuck, and your little 3-year-old self will be hauled to the doctor for an extraction.
  • When your gas water-heater's pilot light has blown out, never try to relight it immediately. If the gas has had time to accumulate, there will be a fireball, and you will be burned. It's best to turn the gas off and leave it for at least five minutes. This will save you the ER visit, and the overnight stay in the hospital (possible inhalation of the fire), and of course, those lovely first and second degree facial burns.

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 04:58:28 PM by Órëlaurëa » Logged

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »

Before you spit out the car window, make sure it's wound down.
And make sure there's not another car in your blind spot when you do spit, especially if that car has its windows down.  (I've never done this, but I can imagine the consequences.)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »

• Watch where you stick your elbow in the chemistry lab.  (I once burned a hole in my sweater by planting my elbow on a small puddle of sulfuric acid that had fallen onto the lab table.)
  • Never wash a bill cap in the dishwasher with laundry soap.  (I had the kitchen floor swimming in suds with that one.)
  • Never drink too many Sobe No Fear energy drinks in one day.  (That one sent me to the emergency room with heart palpitations from a caffeine overdose.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:03:11 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »

NEVER ASK a woman when her baby is due unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE she is pregnant!!  I did this while in an elevator and had to ride the whole way up with a seething woman next to me.  UGH.  Embarrassed
Juliana

Ouch, done that myself and there is no easy way to get out of that one.  You'da thunk I'd learned something from being pregnant a couple of times myself.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »

Hey Guys!  Grin

(1) Never jump out of a friend's high tree house when he tells you he'll give you $5...(he gave me $3 instead..the bum!)

(2) If you have curly hair like me, always brush your hair after the shower, even though not brushing it gives you way more nice curls. I ended up having to cut and shave all my hair off and am still waiting for it to grow out longer because I got a huge knot in my hair that look like a giant sabertooth tiger-worthy hairball.

(3) If you break your glasses in the shower (don't ask me why they were in the shower with me Wink), it is not a good idea to try to superglue part of the frame back together, as well as the lens inside the frame....and then use paint remover to try to get all the superglue streaks off the glass.

(4) If you're a college freshman living with a roommate, it is not a good idea to substitute dried apricots for chocolate in a effort to eat better...and then eat the whole bag...and then constantly wake up at night for the next two nights with constant flatulence. I honestly didn't know dried apricots would do this to me....

(5) It is not a good idea to try and hatch a regular supermarket egg in one of your snowboots, and then forget that you put it there. I did that when I was 5.

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »

• A stick in the eye will hurt a lot.
  • My friend used to say "you can't beat that with a stick" to express approval.
  • People who like to drink beer also like to burp obnoxiously.

Large Marge sent me...
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 11:07:15 PM »

• A stick in the eye will hurt a lot.
  • My friend used to say "you can't beat that with a stick" to express approval.
  • People who like to drink beer also like to burp obnoxiously.

Off topic:

Great thread bump.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: