OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:19:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction thread for new and old members  (Read 6727 times) Average Rating: 0
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »

we are all very curious!
 Smiley
Eruvande

Faith: Anglican

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »

Greetings!
I've lurked for a while but thought I'd pop in and finally say hello.
I'm from the UK, used to be reformed baptist. I discovered Orthodoxy in a Christian Chatroom while I was busy trying to convince everyone that Calvinism was the truth.
I’m a married mother of four and very lax member of the British Orthodox Fellowship.
I’m currently trying to work out where God wants me!
Ferd Berfel

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »

Greetings!
I've lurked for a while but thought I'd pop in and finally say hello.
I'm from the UK, used to be reformed baptist. I discovered Orthodoxy in a Christian Chatroom while I was busy trying to convince everyone that Calvinism was the truth.
I’m a married mother of four and very lax member of the British Orthodox Fellowship.

Welcome!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »

Hullo!

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

"Very lax member" is still better than "not a member".  Wink 

Welcome!   Christ is risen!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the forum, Eruvande.   Smiley
Beggar at the Cross

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman (Archdiocese of San Francisco)

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »

Hi Everyone!  Christ is risen!

I'm a convert to the Catholic Church from Protestantism.  Before becoming Catholic, I looked into Eastern Orthodoxy and attended an OCA parish for 6 months or so.  My interest in Orthodoxy has recently been rekindled, though, so I'm here hoping to learn and interact with Orthodox folks for some mutual edification.  God Bless you all!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »

Welcome (officially unofficially)  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:53:01 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

methodius

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 01:58:29 AM »

HI !
Christ is risen!

This is a good place, fun, informative, and sometimes a pain because it makes you (shudder) think.

Look forward to seeing a lot of you  Smiley

kyrie eleison
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen applicant
Jurisdiction: GOA I hope

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »

My name's Porter, I'm forty-one, live in Oregon, don't presently have an occupation -- and the ladies to whom I'm devoted are Bonnie (spouse), Aftasie (three-year-old), and Omilie (six-month-old) (the children are pictured below).

My background is Amish-Mennonite, and the community in which I grew up was a forty-minute drive from groceries or gas, way out in the Appalachian foothills. Theology is something I've wrestled with all my life, usually with enjoyment, sometimes with a little madness -- but pious culture is what I really miss. My wife and I have requested to become catechumens at a church in West Portland; it's mostly converts but they do have one Greek priest.

It's good to meet you all! and these forums are invaluable.

Khristòs anèsti!

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

A threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ec iv.12).

Τὸν ὑπόλοιπον χρόνον τῆς ζωῆς ἡμῶν, ἐν εἰρήνῃ καὶ μετανοίᾳ ἐκτελέσαι, παρὰ τοῦ Κυρίου αἰτησώμεθα.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »

Theology is something I've wrestled with all my life, usually with enjoyment, sometimes with a little madness -- but pious culture is what I really miss.

Smiley

Truly he is risen!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the forum, Porter.   Smiley
methodius

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2014, 12:59:10 AM »

Truly He is Risen!
and welcome to our group

kyrie eleison
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »

Welcome Porter Smiley

Mystes
Pathomachos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to have arrived at this forum, being able now to share within a worldwide community Smiley I come from Lithuania, an eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church. I'm currently undergoing an official catechetical course in Orthodoxy in preparation for Chrismation, although I had my first encounter with Orthodoxy in 2011, when I took a course in History of Christianity (I'm an undergraduate student of Philosophy). At that time I even found a local parish where Divine Liturgy was celebrated in my vernacular (which is somewhat of a miracle in a country predominated by Russian-speaking Orthodox believers and Slavonic customs). However, I got distracted again until recently, when I met a Catholic priest in October 2013. It should be taken into account that I was a rather sinful soul, for many years, since my early teens, I was fascinated by occult thought and even dabbled in it, dealing with Tarot quite deeply. There were many moments when I considered converting and confessing my sins but I just couldn't make it. Nevertheless, that October I found the strength to make a full confession of one's life and also received the sacrament of Holy Unction. Since then I started recovering all my previous experiences with Orthodoxy and comparing it with Catholicism. Eventually, all of this lead to an ever increasing conviction and awareness that Orthodoxy is my true calling. So here I am.  Smiley

Ad majorem Adonai gloriam!
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:57 PM »

Welcome!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »

welcome! your story is very similar to a friend of mine.
is occult religion popular in your part of the world?

may God guide you and protect you.
Mystes
Pathomachos

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »

Well, I'll definitely say this - it's filled with New Age babble, although my country is regarded, in a way similar to Poland, as a highly conservative Catholic country (people like to mock and say 'The Land of Mary on Earth'). During the Soviet era, most of the Russian population was cutt-off from their religious roots, occult practices of various sorts are deeply grounded in Russia, Lithuania isn't an exception. There has also been a revival of exorcist practice and pastoration in recent years, the media would often quote how people are queuing up just to see or speak to an exorcist (there are only 5 of them in the entire country, 1 per diocese, so you can imagine the demand).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:43:20 PM by Mystes » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2014, 03:57:33 PM »

do you mean the russians were cut off from the church so they turned to the occult?
and now they are getting exorcism and so will come back to the church?

i have another friend from a country near yours and she says many people are far from the church. also the churches were not always welcoming.
once, when she was catholic, she visited a russian orthodox church with some friends and the priest hit her because she was catholic and not orthodox!

she is now orthodox, despite that...
Mystes
Pathomachos

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »

No, I didn't mean that Russians went into occultism because of losing their religious origins - that would be an oversimplification. It's just that the great 'silver age' of Russian culture never had the opportunity to reach its full maturity, a sort of 'golden age' which was evidently caused by the Bolshevik revolution of 1917. From then onwards, generations of Russians were cut-off from religious upbringing despite the fact that the Church was still active in many ways (secret celebration of liturgy etc.). Although there were allowances for religious worship per se, the Church was forbidden to preach its faith in the open without being subject to ideological distortion, religious education could no longer take place at schools, religious teacing materials could not be published, thus Orthodoxy lost its implicit characteristics, those of defining the culture people were living in. All of this provided a breeding ground for New Age culture. Lithuania was part of the USSR not so long ago (this year was the 24th anniversay of reestablishing Lithuanian independence), so naturally it was affected by the cultural processes prevailing there. As for exorcisms, I meant to say that exorcist practice has become an increasing interest in Lithuania which could be attested to a genuine pursuit of faith, a symptom of spiritual battle and condition, however, not a way of 'returning to the Church' (unless in a strictly formal sense).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:17:54 PM by Mystes » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »

thanks for explaining.
i have relatives in romania and so i was wondering if you were referring to persecution.
may God bless all those who are searching spiritually in lithuania and all the places affected by communism in the past or currently.
Sam G
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Elder Joseph, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »

Hello everyone,

My name is Sam, and I've been on this forum long enough to appreciate some of the unique personalities you find on here.  Wink

This forum really helped me when I was investigating Orthodoxy, and since I have been received into the Church I've been trying to do my best to help other inquirers figure things out.  My own personal journey has taken me from Catholicism, to atheism, to deism, to theism, to Catholicism, to Eastern Catholicism, to Orthodoxy.  Besides religion, my other hobbies include playing the guitar and watching hockey.  I also attend college, but that's usually the last thing on my mind.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
littlepilgrim64

Faith: Protestant seeker

« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

Hello all!  

A bit about myself:

SPIRITUAL JOURNEY: Raised Roman Catholic.  In my early 20's was involved in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal for a year or two, then left Catholicism entirely and began attending an Assembly of God church for about a year.  Ended up meeting a guy (my former husband) and began dating him; he was Reformed/Presbyterian and that is how I was introduced to Reformed theology (Calvinism) initially. I have remained in these circles for about 25 years or so. (Now . . . don’t be trying to calculate this girl’s age . . LOL.)  

Currently I'm alternating between attending services at a Presbyterian church and attending liturgy at my local Greek Orthodox Church.  Over the course of the last number of years I would look into Orthodoxy, attend a few Divine Liturgies, do some reading and listen to podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio and then put it on the back burner. A period of time would pass and I would begin again reading, listening to podcasts, etc.  This time there is no looking back for me.  I ask you remember me in your prayers as I continue on my journey toward Orthodoxy.

RESIDE: In the South, but I'm a Northern transplant.  

MISC STUFF:
Ethnicity: Andalucian (Spanish) and Slovak.

Education: Some college.

Occupation: Medical transcriptionist (yes, some of us still exist . . . LOL)

Sports: BIG Pittsburgh Steelers fan (some of my upbringing was in “the Burgh”) and NY Mets fan.  

“Girly” things I enjoy: Crocheting, cross-stitch; a novice quilter.  Picking up finds at yard sales.  Baking/cooking. Enjoy taking time to writing cards/letters to friends and sending via snail mail (though I do Facebook too).  

Music: Have been involved in church and community choirs.  Enjoy performing sacred choral music.

Writing:  I am long-winded . . . .forgive me.  

Everyone have a good night!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:57:46 PM by littlepilgrim64 » Logged

"Do not cling with your heart to anything, and do not make it the god of your heart, for the sole God of our heart must be the Lord-God, Who created it: For our heart is His breath." ~ St. John of Kronstadt
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »

You had me at BIG Steelers fan.  Kiss

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
littlepilgrim64

« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

Start of training camp at St. Vincent's will be here before ya know it  Smiley

"Do not cling with your heart to anything, and do not make it the god of your heart, for the sole God of our heart must be the Lord-God, Who created it: For our heart is His breath." ~ St. John of Kronstadt
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »

Start of training camp at St. Vincent's will be here before ya know it  Smiley

I live about 5 miles from St. Vincents, I'll have to decide whether to try and go... guess I'll see how the crowds, weather, etc. are. If I go I can figure out something Orthodox to yell at Troy  Grin  Tongue

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »

Welcome to Sam G and littlepilgrim64!  Smiley

Georgii

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »

Male, age 50, by birth Presbyterian, working as a translator/editor between English, Russian and German.

Lived the first half of my life (but whose life is it anyway?) in the US, the most recent half in Germany. Married (Orthodox wedding) to a cradle Russian Orthodox for the last 17 years. One son, almost 13 years old.

Chrismated in a Moscow Patriarchate parish in Baltimore this last Holy Thursday. Still travelling around the US, but looking forward to getting home to ROCOR in Germany.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
littlepilgrim64

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »

Welcome Georgii!

juha

Jurisdiction: Finland Helsinki, Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2014, 02:25:14 AM »

Hello friends! I am new to the forum. Age 55,father of one,single parent, converted to orthodoxy 1985, psychotherapist, hobbyist photographer, Helsinki orthodox parish.
God bless!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2014, 02:34:26 AM »

Welcome Smiley

Georgii

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2014, 04:01:27 AM »

Occupation: Medical transcriptionist (yes, some of us still exist . . . LOL)

Yeah, we do show our age. My favorite great aunt (Lord grant her Your Heavenly Kingdom) was a court reporter, and while there was still a Cold War I did something for the US Department of Defense that was called "transcription" -- my part in trying to figure out what those darned Rooskies were up to and to keep them from taking over the world  Huh.

But now I pray for the salvation of those killed in the fratricidal strife in the Ukrainian Lands (an interesting way to dodge the question of whether to put the "the" in Ukraine).

And all of my paternal relatives are Southerners transplanted to the North, so I can kind of see where you, littlepilgrim, are coming from in that way, too.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: