Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
I have a question
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »
I bought my husband a Komboskini bracelet from athen shop online. With the bracelet came a;

"Amulet from Athos"

This is the description;
"One amulet from Athos include flowers from M. Athos epitaph and other blessed thinks, like Myro"

What is it for? It is this little square with a mini safety pin thru it. The fabric is quite pretty, and obviously it is meant to attach to something. But I wanted to know what the significance, meaning and use is of it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:44:27 PM by Quinault »

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
Is this more like a filakto? Often they are given to unbaptized children until they are baptized (and thence receive a cross), but also a filakto is also given to someone to protect them...we've given them to our parishioners in Iraq or Afghanistan, for example.
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »
I googled it, and it sounds similar. It feels like a little vial of something and some flowers in a brocaded pouch.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:34:51 PM »
What you are describing is indeed a "Phylakto" as Fr. Chris says.
A Phylakto is a small pouch sewn shut which contains blessed objects including:
1) Flowers from the Epitaphio (the beir representing Christ's tomb which is carried around the Church on Good Friday)
2) Wax from candles which have been used in the liturgy
3) Cotton wool dipped in oil from the sanctuary lamp or myrrh from a myrrh-streaming Icon or relic.

The saftey pin attached to the phylakto is used to pin it to an undershirt and keep it on your person as a blessing and protection.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:39:28 PM »
^^yeah, I really wish I had the Greek font here...I didn't have the phi letter to spell the word correctly, and it never fails: I will use the 'wrong' letter (ph or f) for the phi that is in common useage when transliterating into English!  :D
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:13 PM »
That is really cool! We didn't order it, but they included it anyway. And since my husband is going to deploy for a year soon, it will go with him.

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 02:44:30 AM »
That is really cool! We didn't order it, but they included it anyway. And since my husband is going to deploy for a year soon, it will go with him.

We'll remember your husband, may he be kept safe while he is over at the middle east beach.