OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 09:09:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Libraries  (Read 3572 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: December 31, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »

Here's something for the book fiends (myself included):  The World's Most Beautiful Libraries.  Makes me want to grab a stack and settle into a chair for the afternoon.  My favorite is the Handelingenkamer Tweede Kamer Der Staten-Generaal Den Haag.

Libraries
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:18:15 AM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »

What pictures, thank you!

How come people are still waging wars and kiling each other, when they have all these treasures on shelves...

Happy New Year!

--G.

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?  It makes me so sad to think of how many of these have been destroyed in wars.  Sigh.

Incidentally, I would love my personal library to be that neat and organized!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:16:19 PM »

I'm kind of upset that the Library of Congress didn't make the list. I spent quite a lot of time there in the evenings when I worked in DC. The main reading room is absolutely stunning.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:44:44 PM »

Library of Congress should definitely be on there.

It's a shame that my hometown's library is modeled in a modern 1970s style - yuck!

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:03:48 PM »

Could be worse. My hometown models libraries on Best Buys.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »

I'm kind of upset that the Library of Congress didn't make the list. I spent quite a lot of time there in the evenings when I worked in DC. The main reading room is absolutely stunning.

Ask and ye shall receive!  Here 'tis... and it is indeed lovely.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »

Could be worse. My hometown models libraries on Best Buys.

At least you have libraries.  Smiley For most of human history most people couldn't read much or at all.

Remember that the first free library in the US was started by Benjamin Franklin in 1731.  And it was Andrew Carnegie who started hundreds upon hundreds of libraries in the US, Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other places.  He started them for working class people and with the open stack system so that one could browse to find books. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_library

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 08:37:33 AM »

At least you have libraries.  Smiley For most of human history most people couldn't read much or at all.

True, reading is useful for knowing which CD or DVD you're getting from the library. I'm so glad Carnegie wanted us all to have a free video-rental store in every town. It is nice to have.

Also, what are these "books" of which you speak? And where might I find one? Wink

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 10:58:35 AM »

And though Mr. Carnegie was not a religious man, even he would have been scandalized by what one can easily find today in the children's section.

-

I put in a vote for the Sherlock Library, a stunning 17th-century specimen in St. Catharine's College, Cambridge, England.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 12:37:02 PM »

And though Mr. Carnegie was not a religious man, even he would have been scandalized by what one can easily find today in the children's section.

I don't think he would have been that shocked to see children reading.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »

The Sherlock Library:

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

You can't beat my university library for a pleasant mixtures of strangeness and ugliness:

The entrance is underground:

It is 1.5 stories underground, so just to get in and get to the main underground level you have to down two flights of stairs.  To get to DVDs and periodicals it is down another flight of stairs or the books start at one level up.  It is a nightmare for the handicapped and just an eyesore for everybody else. 

The actual library is the huge box behind the palm trees, although there are winding passages who knows how far underground all over:

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »

Strange... but that's modern university architecture for you. Tongue

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »

Strange... but that's modern university architecture for you. Tongue

That's the most logical part of the campus.  What is the most hideous is the architecture building (which is typical since they try too hard to make some sort of avant garde statement):

Whenever my sister makes fun of me for being a "liberal artist" I need only mention that she has a degree in architecture from that building  Cheesy

And the most stupid ASU architecture belongs to our current president's glass box fetish:

And the newest one:

Ever been inside a glass box when it is 115 F (about 45 C) outside?  For all this talk of green this and green that, one would think a university of all places would be interested in low cost and energy efficient architecture. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:06:33 PM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »

And the newest one:

Ever been inside a glass box when it is 115 F (about 45 C) outside?  For all this talk of green this and green that, one would think a university of all places would be interested in low cost and energy efficient architecture. 
Talk about a greenhouse! Shocked  I just hope that glass wall isn't on the building's south side.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »

Talk about a greenhouse! Shocked  I just hope that glass wall isn't on the building's south side.

If only.  The big glass thing is a due south exposure. 
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »

Here's something for the book fiends (myself included):  The World's Most Beautiful Libraries.  Makes me want to grab a stack and settle into a chair for the afternoon.  My favorite is the Handelingenkamer Tweede Kamer Der Staten-Generaal Den Haag.

Libraries
Thanks kindly for these pictures.
The libraries are great. Do these libraries have open or closed stacks? Of course, generally, I would prefer a library with open stacks so that one would be able to browse. I saw a few nice libraries in Eastern Europe, but with some of them, they have the policy of closed stacks and the book must be requested. If two libraries had the same collection and if it were to be a choice between a beautiful library with closed stacks, and an ugly library with open stacks, generally, I would choose the ugly library with the open stacks. Although, still,  it would be nice just to do some reading and study in the beautiful one with closed stacks while waiting for your book to show up.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »

I agree completely!

Going to a library with open stacks makes me feel free.

A closed stack library is like trying to read a good book in your dentist's waiting room! Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 07:15:12 PM »

The Sherlock Library:

That only shows one small section of it. I took a long view shot of it, and I would post it if my photo CDs were not packed away.

I spent many hapy hours studying there, sitting on the window sill and dangling my legs over into the courtyard.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:18:11 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »

I was browsing through some old photos of my grandparents and when my mom was a kid from the 50's to the early 70's and everything looked so grande- people, cars, mere things and architecture. I always wonder why our society has gone away from what is beautiful to becoming more and more plain,ugly yet more and more complicated and expensive. 12 years ago I lived on a street where everyone talked to each other and knew everyone else by name...we moved couple times and ever since then its like people have a tick or flinch if you wave or say hi to them.

Back to arhcitecture

This is our Union Station in Toronto...I think theres one by the same name in NY??

Above is our fabulous CNE Place...it looks like France but its not, in fact most of Toronto looks like somethng European.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »

This is our Union Station in Toronto...I think theres one by the same name in NY??

There is a Union Station in many cities in the U.S. It goes back to the days of the Civil War when railroads were vital in shipping goods to the soldiers. In some of the "border towns" you'll find both a Union Station and a Confederate Station, although the latter usually has been renamed.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »

There is a Union Station in many cities in the U.S. It goes back to the days of the Civil War when railroads were vital in shipping goods to the soldiers. In some of the "border towns" you'll find both a Union Station and a Confederate Station, although the latter usually has been renamed.

Um, no. Union stations are stations that serve(d) more than one railroad.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 11:25:51 PM »

Yes, they were Grin (although I was hoping someone would bite on the "Confederate Station" bit).

A page of links to several Union Stations throughout the United States. I find Washington D.C.'s to be quite beautiful; I've been there a couple of times.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »

Nice try, Mr. Clavin!  Wink
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 01:15:52 PM »

All of those libraries are beautiful!  Shocked

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 02:08:03 PM »

Ah, now you're on a subject after my own heart!

I'm sad that the US Senate Library reading room in the Captial (btw, the Senate Library is not a part of the LOC, but a different entitity entirely) is not on the list.  Sadly, it's now the senate leadership's private reading room, but it's a beautiful room with a fantastic round window that looks out from the capital towards the Washington Monument.  It's the one thing I do miss about working for the gov't.

I love the picture of the cathedral library with the chained books!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »

Yes, they were Grin (although I was hoping someone would bite on the "Confederate Station" bit).

Ha!  Grin  Thought there wouldn't be any railfans around the forum? 

Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »

They don't show up 'round these parts nearly as often as "South Shall Rise Again" folk. Cheesy

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 11:21:42 AM »

They don't show up 'round these parts nearly as often as "South Shall Rise Again" folk. Cheesy

Maybe they're out looking at trains?  Wink 

Or maybe the topic just hadn't come up.  I wonder if there might be some interest in a "What hobbies/interests do you have?" thread.  To go along with the "Reading" and "Listening" ones.

Ebor

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

Here's a thread from way back with hobbies and interest.  Why not resurrect it?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,2596.0.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:52:03 AM by EofK » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »

I'd forgotten about that one!  <smacks forehead>

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »

LOL!  Don't smack too hard...

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 02:01:30 PM »

I love the picture of the cathedral library with the chained books!

Yes, I saw that library at Hereford Cathedral. It's really worth seeing, and the cathedral also has probably the most magnificent medieval world map still in existence. The cathedral itself is also wonderful.

The whole Herefordshire area is one of my favorite in England. Beautiful and unspoilt, remarkably free of tourist hordes. It's a wonderful look at pre-industrial England.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

The Lake District is my favorite part of Britain...

But for me, my favorite library is whichever one I am in at the time!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 03:06:31 PM »

The Lake District is my favorite part of Britain...

It's lovely. Overall, I love the North, Cumbria (Lake District), North Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland included. If I could not be in the North, however, I would be in the Welsh Marches (which include Herefordshire, Shropshire, Cheshire, western Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: