OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:33:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dunstan baby language  (Read 1582 times) Average Rating: 0
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« on: December 31, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

Okay, so I don't have children yet (someday, God willing), but I do have a niece and nephew with whom I am very close.  When I saw this on Oprah (yes, I watch Oprah occasionally), I immediately called my mother, who immediately ordered the DVD for my sister (who has a one month old).

Don't know if it will be any help to anyone, but it is being regarded as miraculous.  This lady has figured out what baby sounds mean.  She listens carefully (and teaches the viewer how to as well) to what the baby "says" BEFORE they start crying, and has been able to distinguish five sounds, or "words" that communicate what the baby needs.  She demonstrated this on Oprah with, I believe it was nine, mothers with babies under three months.  By the end of the segment, all nine babies were sleeping happily.  The mothers came back after two weeks, and said that once they learned these words, they were able to take care of their baby's needs and the baby had hardly cried in two weeks as a result!  I'm very excited to see how it works for my sister, and hope it'll be of help to people here too!

www.dunstanbaby.com

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »

For $30 I would be willing to try it next time around. But since it only works between birth and three months, we are beyond with our newest baby. If it doesn't work...EBAY Grin
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »

I also saw that episode of Oprah; I figured I'll take all the help I can get!  Some of the sounds do make a lot of sense, like the "neh" for hungry mimics the sucking action so it would be a logical conclusion to associate that with hunger.  I have noticed that when Caitlin needs burped, she does sort of make the "eh eh eh" sounds, but if I don't catch it soon enough it becomes an earsplitting screech.  Just from the little bit I saw, it does seem to work.  I think the key to it all is paying attention to little cues and figuring out what sounds and gestures the baby makes and where they lead. 

Thanks for the link, Prebystera!  I'm interested in checking it out.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

Fascinating! Learning these cues would certainly contribute to a happier baby, which equals happier parents. I'm also very excited about the baby sign language. Smiley

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »

I've been trying to use a few signs around Caitlin just to get used to it but the only ones I can remember offhand are "cat" and "milk." 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »

Those are useful signs, considering your household! Cheesy

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:01:28 PM »

Just need to learn "crazy cat stop climbing the lamp" next.

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »

Gotta love Sylvester! Smiley

Tags: baby newborn 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: