OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:09:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icons of guardian angels  (Read 1371 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: December 16, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »

I help manage the bookstore at my parish and a parishioner wanted to procure a guardian angel icon.  She didn't like any of the ones I had so we looked at some catalogues.  She was asking me about how the guardian angels are represented and confessed my ignorance of the subject, but it got me thinking.  This is the guardian angel I have as part of my iconostasis at home

My question.  I've heard, from probably unreliable sources, that the guardian angels are depicted neither distinctly male nor female but have a more androgynous quality to them.  To me (and I'm no great discerner when it comes to art), this particular icon seems to demonstrate that idea, but I've seen other icons where the angels definitely look quite masculine in appearance.  Does anyone have any insight as to this?  I'd especially like to hear from any icon writers we have here at OC.net.  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »

From what I've heard from my priest, angels don't have genders.

However, I think they are depicted in a neutral sense because one does not know what their guardian angel looks like, so one icon has to fit for everyone.

But that's from a non-seminarian whose still in high school. Maybe someone else can give a better explanation.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:51:09 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 11:08:58 PM »

From what I've heard from my priest, angels don't have genders.

However, I think they are depicted in a neutral sense because one does not know what their guardian angel looks like, so one icon has to fit for everyone.

But that's from a non-seminarian whose still in high school. Maybe someone else can give a better explanation. 

Those are pretty plausible explanations.  It's not like we all cover how to depict an angel in iconography in seminary - those schools that offer iconography classes do so as electives.  But your arguments make sense and are consistent with Orthodox understanding of the Angels.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »

Those are pretty plausible explanations.  It's not like we all cover how to depict an angel in iconography in seminary - those schools that offer iconography classes do so as electives.  But your arguments make sense and are consistent with Orthodox understanding of the Angels.

God Manifested the two angels as Men who went into Sodom and were guests of Lot.  Angels "Battling" the Demons, a male trait at least it is our human instincts to apply male traits to this action.  Archangel Michael appearing to Mary at the Incarnation.  These and other sources give one the impression that the angels are malish is not male.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »

God Manifested the two angels as Men who went into Sodom and were guests of Lot.

Chalk one up for social norms; women wouldn't have been traveling much in those days, and these two angels were travelers.  Anyway, they had to be male in order to adequately test the populace of Sodom.

Angels "Battling" the Demons, a male trait at least it is our human instincts to apply male traits to this action. 

Eh, applying human emotion and traits to the bodiless powers who existed before we did seems a bit odd.

Archangel Michael appearing to Mary at the Incarnation. 

It was Gabriel at the Incarnation.  Ind IIRC there is no indication of gender in the text.

These and other sources give one the impression that the angels are malish is not male.

Well, there are sources that give the impression that God the Father is malish, but that doesn't actually make Him "malish" or male.

I'm not out to pick on you or anyone else, but the bodiless powers have no gender because they need no gender.  Portraying someone as "gender-neutral" will always look more male-like than female-like because of the absence of certain female external characteristics.  But they really aren't depicted as "male like" with a chiseled jaw, or bearded, etc.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 03:44:47 PM »

Chalk one up for social norms; women wouldn't have been traveling much in those days, and these two angels were travelers.  Anyway, they had to be male in order to adequately test the populace of Sodom.

Eh, applying human emotion and traits to the bodiless powers who existed before we did seems a bit odd.

It was Gabriel at the Incarnation.  Ind IIRC there is no indication of gender in the text.

Well, there are sources that give the impression that God the Father is malish, but that doesn't actually make Him "malish" or male.

I'm not out to pick on you or anyone else, but the bodiless powers have no gender because they need no gender.  Portraying someone as "gender-neutral" will always look more male-like than female-like because of the absence of certain female external characteristics.  But they really aren't depicted as "male like" with a chiseled jaw, or bearded, etc.

I stand corrected, it was Gabriel not Michael.

Well, only having two genders to choose from on this earth, God chose to manifest the angels as malish because of their standing in the world at that time. I wonder in what gender He would have manifested angels in todays situations?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

I wonder in what gender He would have manifested angels in todays situations? 

The world may never know.  But it's a great question!

---------------------
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »

Maybe it would depend on the human being being addressed since one might think that God would know how to best reach her/him

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags: icons angels 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: