OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 01:04:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Monitor.... help please  (Read 1811 times) Average Rating: 0
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« on: December 28, 2007, 02:02:28 AM »

My old monitor crashed about a month ago and I got a new one but stuff just doesn't look right on it. That is why I need your help.

The new monitor is an Acer 19 inch LCD, listed as AL1916W. Yes, it was a cheap brand, but the expense was unexpected so I went with what I could afford at the time (Don't judge me! Smiley ). The new monitor's resolution is supposed to be 1440x900 (which is better than the old one). When I pull up the display properties window, it tells me the resolution is 1152x864. Stuff just doesn't look right on the monitor that way. When I try to change it, it still looks weird, only in a different way. The monitor did not come with a disk to configure the computer or anything. Should it have? Is there any way I can tweak things to make it look better?

I'm not sure what other information might be helpful. It is on Windows XP if that matters.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:14:11 AM »

it may be a widescreen vs narrowscreen problem. Is your monitor a square or a rectangle?

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Marat
Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:20:53 AM »

The new one is a rectangle. It is a widescreen monitor.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:19:46 AM »

Since the monitor resolution is supposed to be 1440x900, it is recommending a 16:10 ratio.  1152x864 is 4:3, so it will look off.  You should look for 1280×800, it is another 16:10 ratio resolution.  There is a whole bunch of different aspect ratios, so trying different resolutions, depending on the ratio, would make them look off in different ways (stretches, cutt offs, etc).

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 03:22:58 AM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Marat
Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »

I tried 1280x800. It wasn't available initially, but through a program (PowerStrip) you can make it available. I got the program from one of my google searches on this.

When I try 1280x800, it kind of looks better but the task bar at the bottom disappears and I don't know how to get it back other than undo the resolution and return it back to "normal."

Any ideas?
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »

When you press the windows key, does the menu pop up but from off the screen, or is it not there at all?

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Marat
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 01:47:57 PM »

Yes, I can push the windows key and get the menu to pop up from off screen.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 02:01:23 PM »

Does your video card support 1440×900?  How does it look at that with PowerStrip?

Marat
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know. I don't know what video card I have and don't know how to find out. I don't understand what exactly PowerStrip does or is so I don't know how to answer that either. I'm sorry, just admitting my ignorance on this.

Edited to ask, how do I find that out about the video card?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 02:09:18 PM by Marat » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 02:46:33 PM »

In Vista, right-click anywhere on the screen, then click on "Personalize." The Personalization screen will pop up, and you can select "Display Settings" at the bottom. The name of your video card should be in the middle of the window.

In older versions of Windows, right-click anywhere on the screen, then click on "Properties." You'll be taken directly to the display settings, and the name of your video card should be in the middle of the window. If it's not, click on the "Display" tab.

Hope that helps.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Marat
Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »

I think I've got this figured out now. Friul, I used the information you gave me about the 16:10 ratio and plugged it into PowerStrip to get a 1280x768 resolution. Where that came from I don't know, but it looks much better now. Still not perfect, but no longer stretched out on everything.

Ytterbiumanalyst, thanks for the info. I've been there before, but never knew that was the video card information. I can be kinda blond at times.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: