OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:12:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News as information v. news as entertainment  (Read 1755 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: December 27, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »

This was split from the thread "Alone in my faith", which can be found here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11884.0.html

--YtterbiumAnalyst

I have a friend who does not listen to the news, he or his wife. Why?  They want to stay positive and not dwell on the negative. Many people around me are the same way with their faith.

I have to agree with your friend here. TV news is not really news; it's entertainment. What entertains is usually--as Monty Python pointed out--blood, devastation, death, war, and horror. Alternate a story like this with cute pictures of puppies, and you've got award-winning journalism. Hold on a second--that'swhat passes for journalism? Sadly, yes. There are far more reliable sources of news than network TV. Like the Onion. Wink
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 05:42:44 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »

Like the Onion. Wink

The Onion is rip-roarin' hilarious fun!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:13:35 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 03:11:43 PM »

Y-Man, I agree with you. It is more than that.  We're talking no internet news no newspaper news no NPR or radio news. No news, unless its sports. That's it.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »

What entertains is usually--as Monty Python pointed out--blood, devastation, death, war, and horror.

You forgot to mention fresh fruit! Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 03:15:16 PM »

Y-Man, I agree with you. It is more than that.  We're talking no internet news no newspaper news no NPR or radio news. No news, unless its sports. That's it.
Ah, okay. That's a little extreme.

You forgot to mention fresh fruit! Cheesy
Fresh fruit is the cause of blood, devastation, death, war, and horror. Cheesy

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »

You know, it's especially true that the news is entertainment in light of the fact that all the major news networks, newspapers, etc. are owned by a few large conglomerates, which are owned by a few people (like Ted Turner and Rupert Murdoch) who have complete control over what goes out. 

This is why I sometimes have to laugh at what ends up on the news.  I watch occasionally and think to myself, "where do they come up with this stuff??!!!"  This is especially true of the local news, of course.  It's like, why is this on the news?  What part of this story is it that the producers think every viewing member of the audience "needs to know?"

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »

There is no "need to know" in the news anymore, unfortunately.  I half think the news report is more about the anchors preening on camera than on anything newsworthy.  Sadly enough, I tend to find better news on Fark than on the television.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »

Thomas Friedman in one of his recent columns made the point that the Daily Show and Colbert report are probably two of the most legitimate news shows on cable TV right now. 

If you are willing to settle for the non-up-to-the-very-secondness of non-cable news media there are still some very good options out there.   

PBS has some great programming.  Not all of it is exactly news, but I'm quickly getting hooked on some their shows like independent lens. 

Nearly all of the Economist is available online for free.  It is nicely chopped up between columns, the print edition, various blogs on certain topics into RSS feeds to make for easy reading. 

Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy have most of their current editions online for free.  The latter has a fairly decent blog.

I really like Al Jazeera as they report on areas not very well covered in the developing world by anglophone media.  The BBC covers commonwealth nations to some extent, but has some holes in coverage for the rest of the developing world. 

And for political gossip, the real Perez Hilton of politics, nothing beats the Drudge Report.   

Another really good source of news is the New York Review of Books (most of the content is online for free).  While it is mostly cultural news, the last two issues have had really good articles about the Iraq War and that is how I found this blog.  The current edition also has great articles about Iran, the GOP and Romney. 

There are really good sources out there in English, it is just a bit of a chore to find them.  And staying well informed using them won't raise your blood pressure like the mass market, hysteria inducing, yellow journalism that is most of the "mainstream" media in the US. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: