OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:16:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benazir Bhutto assassinated in Pakistan  (Read 1931 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: December 27, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »

Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, the first female PM for Pakistan, has been assassinated today by a shot to the neck.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:17:14 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:35:45 PM »

Very sad. 

Given the recent news about her return though, I have to say that I'm not too surprised.  This Islamists who did it will always find a way to ret rid of anything/anyone they find as being "progressive".

Lord have mercy.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 07:41:08 PM »

This is only going to get worse in the next few days.  No doubt her supporters, understandably, will want revenge.

I don't know if the Islamists did this or not.  I think it as likely that Musharraf could have ordered this or worked through secondary channels to have this done.  Whoever is responsible, Pakistan is headed for some major trouble which will definitely spill into other parts of the region thus pulling in India, Iran, China and Russia.  The U.S. won't be able to stand on the sidelines on this one.

Lord have mercy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »

LORD HAVE MERCY ON HER SOUL.....stashko....................SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 07:50:29 PM »

This is only going to get worse in the next few days.  No doubt her supporters, understandably, will want revenge.

...major trouble which will definitely spill into other parts of the region thus pulling in India, Iran, China and Russia.  The U.S. won't be able to stand on the sidelines on this one.
Yet Musharraf is still an ally with the US.  I think Prez Bush may need to re-address his policies with Pakistan; possibly putting more pressure on Musharraf.

Lord have mercy on her soul and her husband and three children.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:51:32 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 07:58:30 PM »

What a tragedy.   Cry

I don't know if the Islamists did this or not.  I think it as likely that Musharraf could have ordered this or worked through secondary channels to have this done.

Musharraf could have simply done nothing and simply allowed Islamists to do this without any prompting.  We'll see how long Sharif remains alive.   

Whoever is responsible, Pakistan is headed for some major trouble which will definitely spill into other parts of the region thus pulling in India, Iran, China and Russia.  The U.S. won't be able to stand on the sidelines on this one.

When the USSR collapsed the Russian Federation basically had complete control of the Soviet nuclear cache.  When Pakistan becomes an completely failed state, in whose hands will the nuclear arms land?
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:59:15 PM »

*sighs* I was afraid of this happening. Lord have mercy. +

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:43:09 PM »

I can't say I'm particularly surprised but I am definitely saddened at the news.

Lord have mercy on Prime Minister Bhutto and on all His servants in Pakistan.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 01:42:32 AM »

When Pakistan becomes an completely failed state, in whose hands will the nuclear arms land?
This is a very serious question. Nuclear weapons are unlike any other weapons, with their enormous destructive power, which will not discriminate between civilians and military,  and the long lasting poisonous radioactive gases that can be spread over wide areas. Pakistan appears to be unstable and also is home or near home to some terrorist groups. And on top of that, it is known that a scientist from Pakistan, Dr. Khan, has given or sold blueprints on centrifuges and other information pertinent to what is required to build these terrible nuclear weapons. It is sad to say that American scientists have been responsible for the development of these terrible weapons, which now hold such a terrible threat to all of mankind.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 01:48:47 AM »

God rest her soul.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 02:04:57 AM »

I don't like the jumping to conclusions that President Musharraf is behind this--his party was and is the majority in Pakistan no matter how much the media wanted to highlight Bhutto, so it seems unlikely that he was that afraid. And I certainly hope we don't put any more "pressure" on him. Forcing democracy on other countries too rapidly--especially by importing ex Prime Ministers who were both widely viewed as corrupt as an "alternative"--is not likely to produce the "right" results.

That being said, obviously I think this is a terrible tragedy and this kind of terroristic response is horrible. Bhutto should have had the chance to be elected PM if that is what the people wanted and/or had the chance to clear her name if she was in fact innocent of corruption.

If I am wrong about Musharraf I will eat crow though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 02:07:22 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 02:43:12 AM »

And I certainly hope we don't put any more "pressure" on him. Forcing democracy on other countries too rapidly...
What I meant by 'pressure' is that Prez Musharraf needs to be more pro-active in reigning in those who will not abide by his country's laws.  Since the entire world will be affected by a nuclear detonation, it is the entire world's responsibility to put more pressure on him to act like a leader and take care of his country.  No more playing General soldier boy.  Prez Bush told him to take off his uniform and relinquish that post.  Now he either acts to bring justice to Pakistan or something else will have to be done.  The world cannot sit by and hope he'll do the right thing because this has suddenly become a very real and grave situation.  And this isn't the same thing as 'forcing' democracy.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 02:59:53 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 02:46:02 AM »

Lord have mercy on her soul.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 03:01:29 AM »

What I meant by 'pressure' is that Prez Musharraf needs to be more pro-active in reigning in those who will not abide by his country's laws.  Since the entire world will be affected by a nuclear detonation, it is the entire world's responsibility to put more pressure on him to act like a leader and take care of his country.  No more playing General soldier boy.  Prez Bush told him to take off his uniform and relinquish that post.  Now he either acts to bring justice to Pakistan or something else will have to be done.  The world cannot sit by and hope he'll do the right thing.  And this isn't the same thing as 'forcing' democracy.

In Musharraf's defense he has sent troops on combat operations in the Federally administered tribal areas - something that others hadn't been able to do.  It could be argued that had he done anything more, an outright civil war could have broken out.  It's a tricky situation all around - completely free elections could lead to a collapse of Pakistan and the creation a Taleban type regime.  But.. the long-term consequences of an autocrat could also be the growth of political Islam.  This is about as no-win as it gets. 
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 12:46:24 AM »

This is about as no-win as it gets. 

This pretty much sums up the middle east.  As much as I abhor the idea to sit back and watch as people slaughter each other for their own agenda, that may be the safest course of action, but seldom has anything happened in the middle east which did not draw in the other powers of the world (i.e. U.S., Russia, China).

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 01:44:48 AM »

There are now coming out conflicting reports on her cause of death.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 02:03:45 AM »

I think everyone might have missed it in the news just before the assasination of Benazir Bhutto, and it is a real cause for alarm.  The reported cases (2 I think) of human-to-human bird flu transmission.  Pakistan is a country that is falling apart politically and without a strong government and a fully functioning health monitoring system, containment of bird flu is going to be virtually impossible if this is the beginning of a pandemic.  Now that's scary.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: