OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 04:46:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic cults  (Read 1805 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: January 03, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »

On wikipedia when you in to a page on a catholic saint it states when they are commemorated and which church they are venerated by, it also states at the bottom when there cult was suppresed. what is a saint cult?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »

Well, since Wikipedia is about as trustworthy as a snake selling used cars, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Or a first for that matter.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:36:47 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultus

n Roman Catholicism, cultus or cult is the technical term for the following and devotion or veneration extended to a particular saint.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:42:12 AM »

And, as such, there are many in Eastern Orthodoxy as well.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:29:40 AM »

Well, since Wikipedia is about as trustworthy as a snake selling used cars, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Or a first for that matter.

Ah, but like Al Gore, sometimes it's right (like here).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:41:58 AM »

Shucks.  I checked this thread out because I was hoping to see a lot of incendiary stuff about Opus Dei or some such group.  Oh well.  Sigh....

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Philokalia
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat

Faith: Roman Catholic

Hail Mary Full of Grace

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »

The Catholic Dictionary has this http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/ncd02516.htm

cult; cultus

(Latin: colere, to devote care to a person or thing; hence, to venerate, worship)

(1) Liturgy is the actual arrangement and execution of the public Divine worship as authorized by the Church. The Sacred Congregation of Rites, established by Sixtus V, 1587, as the authoritative organ of the Holy See, is the supreme arbiter.

(2) Part III of the New Code of Canon Law is entitled, "On Divine Cultus." After giving the law governing worship in general (canon 1255) and public worship (canon 1256-1264), the Code gives special laws for the custody and cult of the Blessed Sacrament (canon 1265-1275); for the cult of the saints, sacred images, and relics (canon 1276-1289); for sacred processions (canon 1290-1295), and for sacred furniture (canon 1296-1306).

(3) In Hagiology, we must distinguish between public and private cult of the saints. Privately, cult (dulia) can be paid to any deceased of whose holiness we are certain. "Public cult may be shown only to those Servants of God who by the authority of the Church are numbered among the Saints and Beatified" (canon 1277), by the regular processes of canonization and beatification. Canonized saints may receive public cult everywhere and by any act of dulia; the beatified, however, only such acts and in such places as the Holy See permits (canon 1277, § 2). Saints may be chosen with papal confirmation, as patrons of nations, dioceses, provinces, confraternities, and other places and associations.

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »

Shucks.  I checked this thread out because I was hoping to see a lot of incendiary stuff about Opus Dei or some such group.  Oh well.  Sigh....

Nope! Not all of us Orthodox are rabid anti-Catholics, as we are sometimes portrayed on the 'Net!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »

Ah, but like Al Gore, sometimes it's right (like here).
Hmm. I'll have to go change that. Can't have the kids thinking it's reliable. Grin

My new entry:
"Cult" short for "Cultus," is the name of a 1980's hard rock band with such hit singles as "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Rain." They are very popular among Catholics.

See? Too easy. I'd love to see Wikipedia wiped out entirely. I hate that it's always one of the top 10 hits on Google. The kids always seem to think that means it's a good source.

Philokalia, thank you for the definition. That was quite enlightening.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »

Nope! Not all of us Orthodox are rabid anti-Catholics, as we are sometimes portrayed on the 'Net!

Or perhaps not al of us Orthodox are rabid anti-Catholics, as we often act on the 'Net!

Hmm. I'll have to go change that. Can't have the kids thinking it's reliable. Grin

See? Too easy. I'd love to see Wikipedia wiped out entirely. I hate that it's always one of the top 10 hits on Google. The kids always seem to think that means it's a good source.

I agree entirely.  I only posted from it since I have spent most of my life as a Catholic and knew that the quoted text was accurate.  But you'd be amazed at how when I get stuck tutoring in our "writing center" how people are shocked that they shouldn't use wikipedia as a source in a paper for a university course.  And when it comes to doing actual research (you know that scary building called the library), so many students flat out how no clue how to go about it.  Today at work I was asked this (I am not exaggerating at all), "Like you mean I can get a um textbook at the library.  But like how would I um find it?" 
EmperorConstantine
Acolyte and Pizza-Maker

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

St. Constantine the Great

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 09:39:38 PM »

Its only good if you use the sources that are used on different wiki pages.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »

My new entry:
"Cult" short for "Cultus," is the name of a 1980's hard rock band with such hit singles as "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Rain." They are very popular among Catholics.

Philokalia, thank you for the definition. That was quite enlightening.

It both a curse and a blessing. I teach High School.  I also am a research product of the U of C.

I love the links that wikipedia gives.  But then, I'm trained in shifting wheat from crap.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

I think a couple of things are important to keep in mind.  The word "cult" is obviously the operative word here, and should be one of the answers to your question.  The way the word is being used is probobly not the way you are used to. 

Also, there have been many authors who have used the term the "cult of the saints" which they extrapolate from the cultic worship of the pagans, which was then "christianized" into veneration for the saints.  All of this coming out of the ancient church (historical period). 

I have no idea if this is helpful...but there you have it!   Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »

Please do not trust Wikipedia and any other internet knowledge site.

It's good for checking things and obtaining simple data; but research is still required for very serious decisions on any topic of interest.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:33:04 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »

It both a curse and a blessing. I teach High School.  I also am a research product of the U of C.

I love the links that wikipedia gives.  But then, I'm trained in shifting wheat from crap.
Exactly. We who are college graduates understand research methodology. Those who have not even finished high school have no such training. Furthermore, the kids today are used to finding information on the Internet rather than in books and journals, so Wikipedia gives them a sense of citing a credible source when in reality it's no better than a blog. Therefore, IMO, Wikis do more harm than good.

Ah, for access to Lexis Nexis or EBSCO. Unfortunately, we don't have that kind of money here. Sad Cry

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: