OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:53:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCNet book club?  (Read 5213 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: December 26, 2007, 08:35:47 AM »

Hey y'all,

What does everybody think about starting up a book club here where we would vote on an Orthodox book to read and then discuss it when we're all through with it?

In Christ,

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:58:31 AM »

Let's go!  No books by Lossky though not at present. He was a very difficult read for me. Thoughts?

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:10:01 AM »

Let's go!  No books by Lossky though not at present. He was a very difficult read for me. Thoughts?
I'm game for about anything.  What do the rest of y'all say?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »

If you're going to do the book club, have it alternate between Orthodox books and fun books.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:33:15 AM »

Harry Potter? 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 04:26:20 PM »

^^ LOL Cheesy Um, no;  my closed-minded, archconservative values will not permit me to read anything satanic. Cool  Seriously though, I'd prefer we stick to Orthodox materials 1. because we never really stop being catechumens, what better way to continue our Christian education than with friends and 2. this being an Orthodox forum, it seems fitting that we would discuss Orthodox materials.  You and I may or may not like Harry Potter, but someone else might genuinely be scandalized if something like this were chosen.  Of coarse, these are only my opinions... 

Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »

^^ LOL Cheesy Um, no;  my closed-minded, archconservative values will not permit me to read anything satanic. Cool  Seriously though, I'd prefer we stick to Orthodox materials 1. because we never really stop being catechumens, what better way to continue our Christian education than with friends and 2. this being an Orthodox forum, it seems fitting that we would discuss Orthodox materials.  You and I may or may not like Harry Potter, but someone else might genuinely be scandalized if something like this were chosen.  Of coarse, these are only my opinions... 

God bless !

A reading group would be great !

IN CHRIST
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 04:44:03 PM »

God bless !

A reading group would be great !

IN CHRIST
Thanks, brother.  I thought an Orthodox book club would help me stay motivated as I tend to get lazy if I'm by myself.  So, do you have any recommendations?

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 04:46:19 PM »

A reading group would be fun, but I'm with the others. Orthodox theological books are great, but often heavy reading. It would be nice to mix things up with a good, approved fiction book now and then. A lot of classic novels are classic because they have stood the test of time, and a great many are compatible with your archconservative values. Wink

I'm always game to read anything by Tolkien, Lewis, George MacDonald, etc. Cheesy

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »

Thanks, brother.  I thought an Orthodox book club would help me stay motivated as I tend to get lazy if I'm by myself.  So, do you have any recommendations?

I just received Beginning to Pray by Fr. Anthony Bloom for a Nativity pressent. Just a suggestion off the top of my head. . . Smiley

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »

God bless !

Really a great idea ! I know other forums with reading groups and it is great to read a book together and share the thoughts. I think to start with, it should be a book which everyone can easy get, perhaps a book which can be read online.

For example the Veneration of the Mother of God of St. John of Shanghai or a patristic book ?

In CHRIST
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 05:28:35 PM by Christodoulos » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »

Jibrail,

Since you started this thread, instead of getting everyone's input (which is good and noble), why don't you just suggest something to start us off with?  Then, once we are finished, another person who was part of the reading/discussion can have the opportunity to select.  It would save a lot of time. If someone doesn't want to do it, maybe someone will suggest something he can go for.  So, Jibrail, what should we read first?  I don't care if it's fun or serious.  (I prefer serious, but it's not me suggesting, now is it?)  Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 06:15:58 PM »

^^Is that a triple dog dare? Cheesy  Sorry, I watched A Christmas Story several times yesterday. 

OK, do any y'all know a great place for Orthodox ebooks?  If so, let me know asap, otherwise I'm going with The Eucharist by Alexander Schmemann...

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »

Great idea!  It'll give us something new to talk about around here, too.  Smiley  Schmemann's book sounds good (especially since we own it and I've read part of it already Tongue).

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »

^^Is that a triple dog dare? Cheesy  Sorry, I watched A Christmas Story several times yesterday. 

OK, do any y'all know a great place for Orthodox ebooks?  If so, let me know asap, otherwise I'm going with The Eucharist by Alexander Schmemann...

God bless !

I haven't the book or text yet ! I only have the book about great lent - so I can not participate.

In Christ
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:55:14 PM by Christodoulos » Logged
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 07:16:07 PM »

Good choice.  I read The Eucharist years ago and this will be a good reason to re-read it.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »

There seems to be a general consensus re: Schmemann's book The Eucharist.  For those of you who don't own it, can you borrow it from a friend or maybe check it out of your church's library?  The other option I found is The Divine Liturgy found at Father Alexander's site.  Thoughts?

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 09:12:48 PM »

The Eucharist by Fr. Schmemann, it is.  Now, let's set a date for when we want to start posting our thoughts.  What's a reasonable amount of time?  A week and a half?  ANd do we want to establish some pre-reading questions to think about as we read?

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »

I'll pick it up at the library tomorrow.  It is 245 pages.  I don't think I'll really be able to contribute to the discussions as I'll probably just have time to skim the book, but I will definitely enjoy the insights that other posters offer. 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 09:26:22 PM »

I'll pick it up at the library tomorrow.  It is 245 pages.  I don't think I'll really be able to contribute to the discussions as I'll probably just have time to skim the book, but I will definitely enjoy the insights that other posters offer. 
Since you're one of the few who've travelled around the globe and seen many different liturgies esp on Mt. Athos, I hope you'll participate.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »

How about we begin reading tomorrow (12/27/07) and then begin posting our thoughts a week from tomorrow (1/3/08)?

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 09:44:35 PM »

My library doesn't have that book. But I would love to join you all on the next book. Is it possible to have about a weeks notice of the book you have chosen? Then I can either hunt down a copy to borrow or buy.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:58:38 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »

I have book suggestions for the future Grin These are books I own, but haven't had a chance to read at all or lately.

Philokalia 1-4
Art of Prayer
Father Arseny: A cloud of witnesses
Father Areseny: 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father
The Orthodox Veneration of Mary the Birthgiver of God
For the Life of the World
Finding Sanctuary: Monastic Steps for Everyday Life (this is a Catholic book, but wonderful for developing inward prayer)
The Inner Kingdom
The Way of a Pilgrim
The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
St. Anthony of the Desert
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:22:53 PM by Quinault » Logged
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 12:07:03 PM »

I have the book, but maybe we should give a little time to people who want to participate but need to get the book. Just a suggestion. . .

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »

I've been part of a book club before, in college, and we were given a month to read the book. That allowed plenty of time for people to buy the book if they needed to.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »

We should at least give 3 weeks.  A month sounds better.  For those who are anxious and will read this in a week, do a second reading, and then move on to something else that's related.  If people want heavier reading on the Eucharist, I can suggest plenty of stuff...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »

Should we read the entire book and then talk about it or read and talk about individual chapters (there's 12 in all).  Those of you who've been in a book club before might know how best to approach this one.  Just as a suggestion though, if we decide to read the entire book and then talk about it, by the time I get to the 4th chapter, my ADD will cause me to forget what was in the 1st chapter, but I suppose I could take notes and do a lot of highlighting. Wink  What's the group concensus?

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 01:56:38 PM »

Could you provide an online link to purchase the book?

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 02:16:22 PM »

Could you provide an online link to purchase the book?

Try here , here. or here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:50:25 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 03:00:46 PM »

Thanks

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 04:15:27 PM »

The book clubs I have participated with in the past read a chapter a week and discussed on a certain day. If they are short chapters we would read and discuss several chapters.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 04:26:19 PM »

OK, so when y'all get the book let me know and we'll go from there.  I'm thinking we'll discuss a chapter every two weeks.

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 06:33:18 PM »

I have mine, Gabriel. Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 06:45:21 PM »

We've got one too.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »

Just as a thought for future readings, maybe some area related literature would be a nice break from the heavy theological works.  You can't beat Russian literature, Ivo Andric is also a fantastic read.  Or we could do a historical book, travelogues (like West or Kaplan etc).   
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 07:43:08 PM »

^^I'd go for anything by Kaplan, particularly his travelogues in the Balkans.  BTW, did you get a copy of The Eucharist?

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 08:01:03 PM »

^^I'd go for anything by Kaplan, particularly his travelogues in the Balkans.  BTW, did you get a copy of The Eucharist?

Yeah, it looks like it will be a good read.  Thanks for suggesting it. 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 01:22:16 AM »

Looks as if y'all have the book and are ready to proceed?  If so, then let's plan for a discussion on the first chapter beginning Monday Jan 14th; that'll give us all two weeks to read it and formulate questions/comments.  Y'all with me?

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 01:37:17 AM »

Sounds good, Jibrail!  What are we reading again?  Grin

GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 10:36:33 AM »

I'm very excited about this!  I'm borrowing the book from the hubby...

Question:  How does this work exactly?  Do we establish a time that we are all on the forum to discuss, or is it more like we'll ask questions and discuss starting Jan 14th until like the 16th or something, to give everyone time to get on the forum and offer questions/opinions?  How do we do this?  I've never done a book club on the internet before! 

Thanks so much for suggesting this!  I needed a little motivation to pick up some books and keep reading!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »

Alright, we'll get cracking on it!  Smiley

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »

I can setup a separate sub-forum for the book club. However, it would require a moderator who would need to check-in very regularly among other responsibilities.

I'm assuming EofK?
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »

Sure, I can do that. Smiley

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »

Will someone be posting a link to where this forum will be (I'm still finding my way around here. . .)? Thanks!

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 03:01:38 PM »

Robert, any developments on this?  I haven't seen it unless I'm just blind.  Tongue

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: