OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:03:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need a book recommendation for a sort of Orthodox family "shape of the day"  (Read 1774 times) Average Rating: 0
kmm

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 20, 2007, 03:33:01 AM »

I don't know if this is the best area to request this info, but here goes - I am wondering if any of you could recommend a book(s) that provide an easy to follow "shape of the day" for an Orthodox family. My husband and I are Orthodox, but need LOTS of improvement in our practice. Now that I am home on another maternity leave, I thought it would be a good opportunity to really focus on improving our practice (I did work on it a bit during my first mat leave, but didn't get nearly far enough along). While I was working long crazy hours, I wasn't able to focus properly on God (as a teacher I was ideally supposed to keep my faith unknown to my students, and most of my colleagues were either VERY uncomfortable with people of religion, or openly hostile to religion - the number of perverted RC priest jokes I heard... or the arguments when the poor mennonite music teacher tried to include songs in weekly assembly repetoire that had anything to do with religion, even if it didn't directly mention God  - she was at a loss considering most of the old children's favourites have a spiritual origin to them).

Anyway, something very clearcut, in the order of the day/week would be great. Not just the prayers, as that is easy enough to find, but also the physical/emotional/intellectual steps to be taken. Our church is old calendar (again - it was new calendar for awhile - I'm so confused - I remember cooking a vegan meal for our priest for our house blessing only to discover that in fact we wouldn't be fasting for another couple of weeks - I was in a car accident the day things got changed back and didn't catch on to the news!), in case that has any bearing on applicable publications. I pick up things here and there, but mostly I am just clueless. I would also like to better develop the ability to practice Christianity as a kind of natural mindset, if that makes any sense (pardon my sleep-deprived babybrain), that seems to be common amongst many of the Orthodox here - my husband and I grew up without religion/spirituality of any kind (my mom was only half joking when she suggested that Orthodoxy was a cult and my dad thought it was "cute" that I had found religion - sigh...) and so such a way of functioning in everyday life, is well, rather unfamiliar, although we are slowly developing some social relationships in our limited time with people who are more comfortable with this - I do find it's really vital to have this. That said, my father managed not to raise an eyebrow when I chanted a prayer before lunch the other day!

Thanks!

Thread moved here from the Faith Issues Section  - PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 05:23:51 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:43:56 AM »

Hi and Congratulations on your new baby!  (I'm currently on mat. leave as well so I totally understand the sleep deprivation and mommybrain!)

I did a search for something like Orthodox devotional materials and it's funny, but it keeps returning books about prayer.  Really, that's the best way to grow in the faith is to pray.  I'm also finding it very helpful to read about the lives of the saints as they are excellent examples of how to live.  Here are some daily reading type things that you may find interesting.  I haven't read these, though, so I can't give much of a review on them:

Daily Vitamins for Spiritual Growth by Fr. Anthony Coniaris (there are several volumes of these).  These are daily "meditations" on the selected scriptures and lives of the saints for each day.

Praying with Icons by Jim Forest.  Pretty much what it sounds like.  Smiley

The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox (Daily Scripture Readings and Commentary for Orthodox Christians) by Johanna Manley.

I'll post more as soon as I find some.  Great question, thanks!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:40:12 PM »

(Caveat, I am new to Orthodoxy. But I have been looking for books and the ones below are what I have found)

This book is about how to live a daily lesson to your children, with activites and discussion ideas. I look forward to implementing more of the ideas in the future.
Walking in Wonder: Nurturing Orthodox Christian Virtues in Your Children by Elizabeth White

I don't have this one yet, but it looked good
Our Church and Our Children by Sophie Koulomzin and Ann Mitsakos Bezzerides

Once again, I dont' have it, but I am really interested.
Raising Them Right: A Saints Advice on Raising Children by Theophan the Recluse

I really like this book a great deal. It has a number of activities and discussions, along with ideas for parents. My orthodox homeschooling group suggested it to me.
Making God real in the Orthodox Christian home by Anthony M Coniaris

Although this book is for engaged couples it does touch upon parenting and such a bit. I just recieved this book.
Preserve Them, O Lord: A Guide for Orthodox Couples in Developing Marital Unity by John Mack
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:21:52 PM by Quinault » Logged
kmm

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 02:08:20 AM »

Thanks EofK and Quinault! This looks like a good start.

EofK - how are you doing with the new bub? is this your 1st?

kmm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 09:07:34 PM »

Yep, she's our first.  We're doing pretty well so far but she just woke up and is screaming her head off now!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 08:01:33 PM »

The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox (Daily Scripture Readings and Commentary for Orthodox Christians) by Johanna Manley.

This one is $125 on amazon!!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:05:41 PM by Quinault » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 08:24:45 PM »

Yikes!  Yeah, not so good if it's not been in print for a while.  Might try eBay...

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »

www.abebooks.com is also a good place to look for out of print books.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 10:42:15 AM »

Okay, just checked there, and found it for $58. Still a bit pricey for my taste, though.  Shocked

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tags: books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: