Author Topic: augustine  (Read 1722 times)

Offline john h

• I'm a llama!
augustine
« on: June 08, 2003, 08:48:22 PM »
What is the Orthodox teaching about the saint hood of the  Augstine. (The Bishop from Africa)?

Online Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
Re:augustine
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 08:57:24 PM »
In the Coptic Church the title used for him is usually blessed.  He's just not on our calender of saints, which does not say anything in terms of whether or not he's worthy of the title saint, just that he was never canonnized by our Church.  Our Pope loves him though and talks about his conversion all the time in his books.  I'm curious to hear if he has a different status in other Orthodox Churches.

Offline prodromos

• OC.net guru
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 03:19:53 AM »
Have a look at this page over on www.orthodoxinfo.com for a good summary.

John.

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 07:52:47 AM »
Also on our portal page, we sell a book about the place of Blesssed Augustin in the Orthodox Church.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • I'm an alpaca, actually
    • A conservative blog for peace
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 09:46:51 AM »
The short answer is St Augustine, a preschism Latin Church Father, is accepted by Eastern Orthodox churches as a saint, even though, like other Church Fathers, some of his opinions were later rejected by Byzantine/Eastern Orthodox theology. Note to Catholics: his Orthodox title of 'Blessed Augustine' does not mean the same thing it does in Catholicism, where a 'blessed' (beatus) isn't a canonized saint (yet). Some Orthodox saints are classed by titles such as 'blessed' or, for monastics, 'venerable', but all are fully saints.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 01:05:49 PM »
Also on our portal page, we sell a book about the place of Blesssed Augustin in the Orthodox Church.

Btw, I have this book and feel that it is a very fair discussion.  Interesting how certain (of Augustine's) points have been erroneously extrapolated upon by "the West"  ;).