OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 02:21:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: augustine  (Read 1605 times) Average Rating: 0
john h

I'm a llama!

« on: June 08, 2003, 08:48:22 PM »

What is the Orthodox teaching about the saint hood of the  Augstine. (The Bishop from Africa)?
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 08:57:24 PM »

In the Coptic Church the title used for him is usually blessed.  He's just not on our calender of saints, which does not say anything in terms of whether or not he's worthy of the title saint, just that he was never canonnized by our Church.  Our Pope loves him though and talks about his conversion all the time in his books.  I'm curious to hear if he has a different status in other Orthodox Churches.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 03:19:53 AM »

Have a look at this page over on www.orthodoxinfo.com for a good summary.

John.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 07:52:47 AM »

Also on our portal page, we sell a book about the place of Blesssed Augustin in the Orthodox Church.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 09:46:51 AM »

The short answer is St Augustine, a preschism Latin Church Father, is accepted by Eastern Orthodox churches as a saint, even though, like other Church Fathers, some of his opinions were later rejected by Byzantine/Eastern Orthodox theology. Note to Catholics: his Orthodox title of 'Blessed Augustine' does not mean the same thing it does in Catholicism, where a 'blessed' (beatus) isn't a canonized saint (yet). Some Orthodox saints are classed by titles such as 'blessed' or, for monastics, 'venerable', but all are fully saints.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 01:05:49 PM »

Also on our portal page, we sell a book about the place of Blesssed Augustin in the Orthodox Church.

Btw, I have this book and feel that it is a very fair discussion.  Interesting how certain (of Augustine's) points have been erroneously extrapolated upon by "the West"  Wink.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: