OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:23:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the Theotokos? Lectures by Fr. Thomas Hopko  (Read 3395 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« on: February 11, 2008, 09:15:45 PM »

Dear Moderators,

I have placed this message in the Convert Issues because for many inquirers the issue of the Theotokos is a major stumbling block for them in their path to Orthodoxy. Fr. Tom has done a thorough job of answering many questions that an inquirer may have in regard to the Mother of God.
I hope you will see fit to leave it on this forum.

sincerely, Tamara

Fr. Thomas Hopko Lectures

Who Is The Theotokos?

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/hopko_lectures

A 3 part lecture delivered at the Northern California Antiochian Diocesan Women's Retreat Nov 9-11 2007 at the San Damiano Retreat Center in Danville, CA. We provide the 3 lectures in increments of approximately 30 minutes each.

Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 1.1
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 1.2
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 2.1
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 2.2
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 2.3
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 2.4
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 2.5
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 3.1
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 3.2
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 3.3
Father Thomas Hopko - Who is the Theotokos - Lecture 3.4

One of the photos we took of Father during our retreat when he delivered his lectures.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:23:29 PM by Tamara » Logged
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Not for me... I was Roman Catholic!  Grin

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:46:59 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Not for me... I was Roman Catholic!  Grin

I find that a little shocking that you would say that.  While us former Catholics have a clearer picture on Mary, not everyone came into the Church from Rome. 
As a matter of fact most of the people my age I know came into the Church in the past few years.  Most were Protestants.  Most did not have a clear understanding of Mary.  I admire them for their journey and how far they had to come.  Playing the "not for me" game seeks to separate yourself at some level from others in the church.  As members of the Body of Christ we are one through Him.

Tamara,
I thank you for such a great post.  It is refreshing for those who have just begun to know Mary and for those that have known her their whole life.  Thank you. 

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »

I find that a little shocking that you would say that.  While us former Catholics have a clearer picture on Mary, not everyone came into the Church from Rome. 

I came from the Reformed Protestant tradition, but even then, the Theotokos was never a major problem. When I started reading about the history of her veneration in the Church I was more offended that we protestants failed to give her the proper honour than I was by the veneration given to her in Orthodoxy or Catholicism...I mean, really, even as a protestant I could see that she was slightly more significant than John Calvin, whom we could never go a single Sunday without mentioning.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 04:52:20 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »

As a matter of fact most of the people my age I know came into the Church in the past few years.  Most were Protestants.  Most did not have a clear understanding of Mary.  I admire them for their journey and how far they had to come.  Playing the "not for me" game seeks to separate yourself at some level from others in the church.  As members of the Body of Christ we are one through Him.

Tamara,
I thank you for such a great post.  It is refreshing for those who have just begun to know Mary and for those that have known her their whole life.  Thank you. 

So are you suggesting I pretend Our Lady is a stumbling block for me because some converts from Protestant Denominations see her as a stumbling block?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »

I know many former Protestants (including myself) for whom she presented a stumbling block.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »

I am a "cradle" Orthodox (I hate this word because I gave up the faith at 5 years old then started believing again at 15) and the Theotokos has always given me trouble and after these beautiful lectures by Fr.Thomas he has cleared all my misconceptions up.

(P.S He also is a funny guy)

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »

I know many former Protestants (including myself) for whom she presented a stumbling block.

That's not a very nice way to put it. Perhaps you mean that your indoctrination with heretical theology concerning Our Lady was a stumbling block. I can see how such heresy may be a stumbling block for some, fortunately it was not for me, though there were other elements of protestant theology that served as 'stumbling blocks' for my conversion to Orthodoxy.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »

So are you suggesting I pretend Our Lady is a stumbling block for me because some converts from Protestant Denominations see her as a stumbling block?

No.  I'm sending you a private message.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:41:59 PM by username! » Logged

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 10:09:24 PM »

Tamara

I am still listening to the OCL lectures you posted I believe last year or so. Thanks!

They are helping me in our missionary efforts. I am using them to help encourage those envolved to 'think' mission with such encouragement from Terry Mattingly and Archbishop lazar.

I hope these tracks you posted will be of service to Gods Church.

I pray for that.

Thanks you;

Fr Dcn Amde Tsion

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »

Hi everyone  Smiley,

I figured that those of you who were originally Roman Catholic would have no issue with our Orthodox understanding of the Theotokos but still it is a good lecture series to listen to because Fr. Tom does mention how the RC and Orthodox view of her diverge. I have been Orthodox my whole life and there were many things he spoke about which shed light on my perspective.

But I am really hoping this series reaches all of those evangelicals and other types of Protestants who were raised to basically ignore her. I remember asking an ex-evangelical friend what she learned about the Theotokos or the Incarnation as a Protestant. She told me they NEVER discussed her. The focus was on Christ. As Protestants they were taught the Virgin Mary was just an instrument and any woman could have been chosen. Well, if you listen to lecture series, Fr. Tom lays that idea to rest very quickly. Also, I had another ex-evangelical friend mention how hard it was for her to sing the prayer,"Theotokos, save us!" even after she had become Orthodox.

I am so happy to hear that a few of you have listened to this series and it was beneficial. In the past, I can't remember how many times I have heard various Orthodox lectures and wished I could share what I heard with my friends. I am so grateful that we now have the ability to record and then archive this information so that anyone can access it. Thank God!
I am very grateful to John Maddex for archiving these lectures at AFR. He then decided to create a whole section for Fr. Tom's lectures on the archive so even after Fr. Tom is no longer with us we will still be able to listen to his words.

love, Tamara  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:09:49 PM by Tamara » Logged
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »

Hi everyone  Smiley,
I am very grateful to John Maddex for archiving these lectures at AFR. He then decided to create a whole section for Fr. Tom's lectures on the archive so even after Fr. Tom is no longer with us we will still be able to listen to his words.

God willing Fr. Thomas will be teaching the faith for decades to come.  I've heard many of his lectures and he has to be the most eloquent and easy to listen to Orthodox speaker the Church has produced in this country.  Many people can say they came to Orthodoxy directly through listening to Fr. Thomas.  What a treasure he is.  Sort of Orthodoxy's Fulton Sheen.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:17:01 PM »

God willing Fr. Thomas will be teaching the faith for decades to come.  I've heard many of his lectures and he has to be the most eloquent and easy to listen to Orthodox speaker the Church has produced in this country.  Many people can say they came to Orthodoxy directly through listening to Fr. Thomas.  What a treasure he is.  Sort of Orthodoxy's Fulton Sheen.

I agree...he is an Orthodox treasure. I have heard him speak several times over the course of my life. The man, who is, thank God, unbelievably healthy for his age (68), is still full of the same zeal that I remember from thirty years ago. However, with the passage of time, there is now a deeper poignancy to his message. I observed it when a Russian woman (ROCOR), who attended our retreat, challenged Fr. Tom after one of the lectures. They sparred over the issue of the latinization of Russian Orthodoxy because this particular woman had attended a theological school in Moscow during her youth. When he couldn't get through to her in English he switched over to Russian in order to reach her. There was no mistaking it was serious debate but he still managed to convey such a deep warmth and understanding for her that his desire to reach her was palpable.... it was so beautiful. In the end, he did reach her and she then gave him a beautiful relic from St. John Kronstadt's tomb which she had brought with her. Russians are so cool. One minute they are arguing then the next minute they show one another such a deep affection.  Wink Smiley

Later on I shared with him how many of us in the younger generation look to him for leadership and how we need this leadership even more since we now have so many newbies joining the Church. He shared with me that he was very encouraged and inspired after the weekend.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:24:10 PM by Tamara » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »

I thank God for Father Tom.

I actually saw these on AFR's site the same day I saw you'd posted this.  Wanted to bring something up re: the first set of lectures (one point one and one point two).  There seems to be a problem with editing; whole chunks of the lecture get repeated.  I hope it's not a problem with my iPod, but I thought I'd bring it up here.  Anyone else have that problem?

EDIT: Hmmm...seems my iPod's not doing it now, but just keep an ear out for any seeming backtracking...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:45:27 PM by DavidBryan » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

And now I see why I thought I was crazy.  Lecture segments 2.2 and 2.3 are identical.  I sent an email to John Maddox to let him know; if y'all are going to download them, just keep that in mind.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 02:33:41 AM »

And now I see why I thought I was crazy.  Lecture segments 2.2 and 2.3 are identical.  I sent an email to John Maddox to let him know; if y'all are going to download them, just keep that in mind.

Thanks David for catching this one. John is a busy guy. Hopefully soon he will have someone to help him.

sincerely, Tamara
Tags: Theotokos 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: